• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

J7 Prime (2017) Battery Problem

So I've owned my Samsung J7 Prime since August 2017 and it's worked fine (battery-wise) for the longest time. Although, starting in late February I started noticing some issues with its battery performance:
It won't charge unless completely powered-off, and the battery drops 1-6% immediately after soft resets.

I took it to a nearby phone repair with the suspicion of water-damage since it had gotten wet in the past. They confirmed that the battery had indications of water-damage and they sold me a branded third-party battery. The battery worked fine for 2 days until the same issues manifested again. I complained, got a refund, and they suggested it could be a software issue.

That same day I purchased a battery replacement on my own from a reputable seller on Amazon (labeled Amazon's Choice ). Eventually I received it, tried it out, and it worked...for 2 days ...., and now I keep experiencing the same issue again.

Not sure if the circuitry in the USB port is damaged, or perhaps it's a software issue.

NOTE: My phone indicates that there is a charge (battery with lightning bolt symbol) when it's plugged in.

TL;DR:
Phone only charges properly when shut-off, battery replacements keep lasting 2 days before malfunctioning.

Any Ideas?

If this is a battery issue, it's hard to determine just why things work out after replacing the battery multiple times and then two days later that same issue pops up. That itself sounds more like a software issue as it's very, very unlikely for differently sourced batteries to each start to fail in such a similar manner.
I'd also wonder if a Factory Reset is necessary. Just be sure to back up all your saved data first. Samsung's Smart Switch is a good way to do a full backup (and afterwards, the restore):
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch

If you go into your Settings >> Battery menu, does that indicate some app or process that's draining the battery so much?

Upvote 0
My battery was only charging up to about 87%. Then I learned that when I turned it off and charged it, it would do a full charge. After doing this a few time(I would turn my phone off only when my normal screen use would show only an 87% charge) My dumbphone now recharges completely and the problem seems to have gone away. And has not given me anymore charge problem since.

Upvote 0
So I've owned my Samsung J7 Prime since August 2017 and it's worked fine (battery-wise) for the longest time. Although, starting in late February I started noticing some issues with its battery performance:
It won't charge unless completely powered-off, and the battery drops 1-6% immediately after soft resets.

I took it to a nearby phone repair with the suspicion of water-damage since it had gotten wet in the past. They confirmed that the battery had indications of water-damage and they sold me a branded third-party battery. The battery worked fine for 2 days until the same issues manifested again. I complained, got a refund, and they suggested it could be a software issue.

That same day I purchased a battery replacement on my own from a reputable seller on Amazon (labeled Amazon's Choice ). Eventually I received it, tried it out, and it worked...for 2 days ...., and now I keep experiencing the same issue again.

Not sure if the circuitry in the USB port is damaged, or perhaps it's a software issue.

NOTE: My phone indicates that there is a charge (battery with lightning bolt symbol) when it's plugged in.

TL;DR:
Phone only charges properly when shut-off, battery replacements keep lasting 2 days before malfunctioning.

Any Ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones