• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Jelly Bean update - Dummies Guide

Does anyone know why we are still waiting for the jellybean update for our unlocked XEU uk S2's?

I thought the idea was that they pushed ours out first then released it to the other carriers who tested it, added all their bloatware then released theirs..

But as we know, O2, vodafone, 3 etc have already got theirs..

Does anyone know the logic behind their rollout schedule?

(And thanks but no I don't want to use Odin to update, thanks anyway).

Upvote 0
My I9100 S2 runs the French XEF ICS firmware – so no (at this time) JB version available, so took a deep breath and went for the DIY method. Read and noted all the stuff on here. Did a backup of everything on the phone, in as many ways as feasible. Removed the SD card. Didn’t do a factory resetJ: followed the Odin directions for ICS against a downloaded Nordic OXX, JB 4.1.2 from the Sammobile site. And the small god of Android smiled… I did have a close coronary at msg “Complete (write) operation failed”, but it seemed to finish OK, updating the apps before coming up with JB intro stuff. All apps, contacts, photos, etc. intact. So far no problems, but given the “fail” msg there may be one quietly lurking… Many thanks to Mr Ironass and other contributors on here.

Upvote 0
My I9100 S2 runs the French XEF ICS firmware – so no (at this time) JB version available, so took a deep breath and went for the DIY method. Read and noted all the stuff on here. Did a backup of everything on the phone, in as many ways as feasible. Removed the SD card. Didn’t do a factory resetJ: followed the Odin directions for ICS against a downloaded Nordic OXX, JB 4.1.2 from the Sammobile site. And the small god of Android smiled… I did have a close coronary at msg “Complete (write) operation failed”, but it seemed to finish OK, updating the apps before coming up with JB intro stuff. All apps, contacts, photos, etc. intact. So far no problems, but given the “fail” msg there may be one quietly lurking… Many thanks to Mr Ironass and other contributors on here.

Congratulations and welcome to Android Forums chaldons! :congrats:

Unfortunately, 30 minutes after your post, XEF for France was released. See post #2 and #202, (updated).

Upvote 0
m*rde. Ce la vie, I suppose. I shall wait awhile before telling my fellow pensioners - at least until I have bored them rigid with my technical prowess. Thanks remain, however :)

You should be able to just download the XEF stock Samsung firmware and flash it over the top, using Odin, as you are already on JB.

Upvote 0
Hi all I signed up today after upgrading my s2 to Jelly Bean thanks to this guide.
I bought my S2 from gumtree last week as I always fancied one and with the Jelly Bean update coming out for them was a bonus.
once I got it home and connected it to kies it wouldn't update and I discovered it was running CWP firmware which no update has been released for this yet.

so after reading up on here and wanting the upgrade now I gave it a bash.
big thanks to this guide and the members on here :D

first rom I used seemed to like to munch on the battery ( extended Battery 2000mah ) was lasting about 6 hours!!

so ive tried another rom and it seems to be quicker and not as power hungry
the rom im running now is giving me this info
PDA: I9100XWLSN
PHONE:I9100XXMS2
CSC:I9100XXLS8

build info: Tue Mar 19 18:57:45 KST 2013
is there a better rom to use or is this fine?

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums jbh325i! :)

Hi all I signed up today after upgrading my s2 to Jelly Bean thanks to this guide.
~~~~~
...it was running CWP firmware which no update has been released for this yet.

You are are correct in saying that CSC code CPW, CarPhoneWarehouse, has not received an update to JB so far. as per post #2.

so ive tried another rom and it seems to be quicker and not as power hungry
the rom im running now is giving me this info
PDA: I9100XWLSN
PHONE:I9100XXMS2
CSC:I9100XXLS8

build info: Tue Mar 19 18:57:45 KST 2013
is there a better rom to use or is this fine?

As per #1.9, LSN is currently the latest version of JB. However, all the versions that I have tested, 6 to-date, have proved to be very good and reliable.

For those new to JB, Samsung have released the Jelly Bean, User Manual, (English, Europe), download, here.

Reactions: jbh325i
Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums jbh325i! :)

As per #1.9, LSN is currently the latest version of JB. However, all the versions that I have tested, 6 to-date, have proved to be very good and reliable.

Hi thanks for the welcome.

I see on your phone your running root firmware NEAT ROM LITE LSN. Jelly Bean 4.1.2

Is this better than the standard rom? whats the difference between this and the rom i@m running? would this be better for battery life? ( I spend a fair bit of time out and about )
any more info would be grateful

Thanks
James

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for the welcome.

I see on your phone your running root firmware NEAT ROM LITE LSN. Jelly Bean 4.1.2

Is this better than the standard rom? whats the difference between this and the rom i@m running? would this be better for battery life? ( I spend a fair bit of time out and about )
any more info would be grateful

Thanks
James

NEAT ROM LITE, LSN, 4.6.1, (LITE means bloatware removed), requires you to be rooted to install. See, Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide.

Combined with the hints and tips from the, "Battery Saving - Dummies Guide", and a Siyah, custom, kernel, it is proving to be a winner for me in terms of battery...

NEAT ROM LITE, LSN, 4.6.1 + Siyah kernel 6.0beta5 on stock battery.

NEATLSJSIYAHBETA4_zps90815b51.png

If you have any further questions regarding rooting or NEAT ROM, hop on over to the, "All Things Root", section of the forum.

Reactions: jbh325i
Upvote 0
Hi Ironass,

Since my posts on page 4 of this thread I had 10 good days of jellybean running with no problems, then suddenly last night I looked at my phone and it was off (while the battery was getting low it shouldn't have turned off yet), I tried turning it on and I only get the very first screen (The screen showing it's a Samaung Galaxy SII GT-I9100), it just sits on this screen and does nothing. After charging my phone to full (I still also get the battery charging screen when the phone is turned off, to turn off I had to remove the battery). If I leave the phone sitting on this screen it starts to get warm as if it's doing something, but the screen never changes.

I thought I might try flashing it again but realised I turned off USB debugging so I'm not sure this is possible.

The only thing I'd just done on my phone before this happened was to install the Voxer app from the play store.

What are my options (I'm hoping the most promising course of action won't be a recovery mode factory reset)? any help would be much appreciated. I'm pretty gutted it's playing up :-(

Upvote 0
Hello,

Im on UK CPW firmware, GTI900 currently on 4.0.4 ICS.

I took the plunge with the Spanish JB rom but soon flashed back-phone was getting hot even after factory reset. Anyway i panicked I suppose and put ICS back on. What i may do today is dip into JB again and have downloaded I9100XWLSN_I9100OXXLS8_NEE

Could you confirm im not being stupid! This is ok for my handset isn't it? I am keeping fingers crossed i don't need to go back, my plan is to install this and enjoy and then when UK official is finally released flash that over the top so im fully up to date :)

Upvote 0
Ironass,

Can i start by thanking you for a clear and concise post, which is very easy to follow for a novice.....!!!!!!!

Can i confirm with you what firmware (JB preferably) would be suitable for the below

PDA - I9100BVL PJ

Phone - I9100BVL PE

CSC - I91000RALPJ

Build - WED DEC 26 23.17.34 KST2012

I see from your post #44 talking with Petermania that you suggest

Nordic Countries, (OXX), so long as you don't mind a European Language pack.
Is this the same for me and my device....???

I have checked Samobile firmwares and cannot find JB update for Orange.....

If this is not the case can you please take me by the hand and show me the way, is this the Nordic Countries you were referring to - I9100XWLSJ_I9100OXXLS7_NEE.zip | 571.4 MB..???

Thanks in advance

Northern

Upvote 0
I see from your post #44 talking with Petermania that you suggest

Is this the same for me and my device....???

The latest release is now i9100XWLSN. This is flashed as per #1.7

I have checked Samobile firmwares and cannot find JB update for Orange.....

No JB release for Orange or T-Mobile UK to-date I'm afraid.

Having read your post, here, I would strongly recommend following the advice in #1.2 for a vanilla install.

Upvote 0
The Samsung Galaxy S2, GT-i9100 is now officially two years old.

So, what does this date in the life of the SGSII mark. Well, it means that the two year warranty period will be ending for the early adopters.

It also means that the SGSII is at its EoL, (End of Life), as far as Samsung and carriers are concerned. This means that JB, Android 4.1.2, will possibly be the last update most people will see although some may be lucky enough to get JB, Android 4.2.2. It is very doubtful that Android 4.3 will come to the SGSII and KLP, (Key Lime Pie), Android 5, certainly will not.

Indeed, it can already be seen that from the latest firmware releases from Samsung that the S4, S3 and Note are currently at the fore front of updates. I would even venture to say that some carriers may decide not to release JB for the SGSII. As for the unbranded firmware such as XEU for the UK, for instance, I am rather hoping that the tardiness there is because there will be a JB, Android 4.2.2, release on a one off basis from Samsung before bringing the curtain down.

Upvote 0
Jelly Bean, Android 4.1.2, releases for the following CSC codes...

GT-i9100

CRO = CROATIA (T-Mobile)

Further updates to already released JB firmwares for...

OXX = NORDIC COUNTRIES (5th JB update. Now on release LSS)

OXF = BALTIC (3rd JB update. Now on release LSS)

(For an explanation of CSC codes, firmware releases, eligibility, etc; for the Jelly Bean releases... see posts #1, #2 and #3.)

Upvote 0
Ironass,

Done exactly what you recommend regarding post #217, all went well even flashing the latest firmware, erasing the internal and external storage device etc

BUT

Im still having the battery charging issue....

The phone charged up to 60% then beeps posting a message that reads "Charging paused, battery temperature too high"

I am starting to wonder if its a hardware issue rather than a software.

Any final thoughts......

Thanks again..

Northern

Upvote 0
If you did a complete vanilla install, formatted internal, external memories and Factory reset your phone prior to installing LSN and your battery is overheating on just the stock firmware, prior to app's and settings being installed, I would recommend going to the nearest Samsung Service Point and ask them to check your battery for you as by doing the preceding you have eliminated everything else except hardware.

Reactions: Northern2010
Upvote 0
Jelly Bean, Android 4.1.2, releases for the following CSC codes...

GT-i9100

CHE = CHILE (Entel PCS)

CHT = CHILE (Telefonica)

SAM = PERU (SAM)

OXF = ROMANIA (Cosmote)

TNL = NETHERLANDS (T-Mobile)

ODD = BANGLADESH

ODD = NEPAL

ODD = SRI LANKA

Further JB update for...

ODD = INDIA ( to JB LST)

(For an explanation of CSC codes, firmware releases, eligibility, etc; for the Jelly Bean updates... see posts #1, #2 and #3.)

Upvote 0
hi
need some help please

i have a galaxy s2 that i bought second hand from somone. There is a software issue which does not allow me to access the main camera, when you click to access/activate main camera it prompts a warning message "unknown error by errorcallback" i was told to try upgrading the rom. so i tried it through KIES but i got an error message which is :

"Your devices current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies"

After reading on the sites it seems i should use a software called Odin, i don't want to rush into just flashing a rom onto the phone. need some help.
the phone is showing unlocked and rooted.

PDA i9100XXL
PHONE: i9100XXL
CSC: i9100OXALPQ

ANDROID VERSION: 4.0.3

Can i get the JB or ICS roms flashed on this phone through Odin? what would you recommend, i checked on sammobile it shows country as Poland and the rom version that was available was the same one i have 4.0.3, is it possible to re-flash the same rom, which may fix it? just don't want to brick the phone due to my poor knowledge, help lol,, please.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones