• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jelly Bean USB Mass Storage

Because wifi file transfers via android operate at like 1/100th the speed of usb transfers. Absolutely RIDICULOUS that google would remove a critical feature like this. Like it seriously blows my mind how someone could sit there at a development meeting and say "hey, lets remove USB file transfers. What could go wrong with that?" Jesus christ.

Upvote 0
The problem is not WiFi but with cloud it is the WAN speed. Besides this limitation it is then limited by others on the network using the internet as well as you are sharing that bandwidth. With proper USB connections you are only limited by the local devises usage of the USB bandwidth. By this I mean if you are copying from the phone right to another USB device it can tax the USB bandwidth as it is shared between the devices.

This is why I am no huge fan of "Cloud" storage. Not to mention security issues of off site file storage. That though is not the point of the thread................

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones