• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

JI5 available on Samsung KIES

Installed Kies and it seems to work just fine, but when I click the fimware upgrade button, a window pops up showing "List of Devices Requiring Firmware Upgrade" and there are no devices in the list. I know my Vibrant is detected by Kies as I can use the device explorers and look at all the files. I'm running 1.5.1

Did you set it to Kies mode under Settings>Applications>USB settings>Samsung Kies?

Reactions: Zorlac
Upvote 0
Tried it on my wifes Win 7 laptop, and it worked. Which is odd, because my desktop is Win 7 as well..

Updated both of our phones, and took around 10 min each. It hung for a while on the "S" logo, which scared me, but it's normal.

I also lost the Haptic feedback, but I just turned it off, then back on and it's working as it was.

A lot of people are having trouble...can you provide the steps you took?

Upvote 0
Ok but why would samsung do that? I mean now some people with the same type of phone have the update and some don't.
I'll never understand Samsung's stupid decisions.
Here's a post from XDA:
xda said:
Not only is the update no longer available, but I talked to Samsung Tech support and they told me "There is no software available for Samsung Vibrant. If you download KIES it won't even work for your phone. Any update will be pushed OTA."

Upvote 0
Just a "stab" of course, but a server can be overloaded sometimes, making it unable to recognize updates, or perform properly. I understand this is a "program" but just the same KIES still has to update itself and receive info from the master server in order to relay the info...

I'd wait a bit, watch the forums, and check your phones periodically.

It is not a busy server. It was pulled, perhaps, upon T-Mobile request. (Samsung Vibrant receives GPS fix, update quickly pulled offline – Android and Me)

Upvote 0
I guess this tweet proves that TMO will control when we get it OTA and not samsung.

I kinda wish I could have got the original Galaxy S phone lol...but then again TMO is a step up from my last place(Cricket Wireless)

That's correct. T-Mobile controls the firmware update. TMO Tweet claims "Due to known issues" customers should not apply update via Kies. I was managed to update at least one of my Vibrant. I do not understand what "Known issues" TMO is referring, except that older version of Kies (version 1..5.1) can be used. The newer Kies version 1.5.3 was unable to apply firmware update. This shows Samsung lousy and inapt programmers who code more bugs in the newer versions.
At least update via Kies was less risky then ODIN. On the other hand, the update fixed GPS and most of the known issues and lags. My Vibrant now behaves like it should have been.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones