• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Jobs attacking Android

usml

Dec 28, 2009
This is great -- they attack Android because they worry about Android. I don't hear Jobs attacking Nokia which is becoming quite irrelevant these days (although Nokia still hold on to #1 phone maker worldwide).

I'm curious about what people think about his comments on "Android fragmentation". I don't see it right now (I have two app's on google market, that were tested on a single Android phone before release. I haven't heard anything about they're not working well on other phones). However, witnessing SUN's pathetic inability to stop J2ME's fragmentation in last 10 years (most of Job's attacks on Android are apparently recycled from what people think about J2ME in the past), I hope Google can be proactively nip anything in that direction in the bud ...

Any thoughts/comments? TIA

I'd say Google's biggest issue is the version releases. You see too many apps that say for Android <2.x and a separate version for >2.x, or apps for one that don't work on the other, etc.

This issue becomes a problem when manufacturers don't release updates. When users are stuck with older hardware, they need updates.

The advantage Apple has is they have full control over their devices and the software. So they release updates for their 2-3 year old phones, then the 3-4+ year old phones that didn't get the update are already eligible for an upgrade and Apple wants them to buy the new iPhone.

Google, however, releases versions rather fast (though they have slowed down a bit) and manufacturers are stuck behind the curve trying to keep up with Google's releases. Once they finally release devices with the latest version, there's a new version out and users with older phones want update, but they also have to get newer phones to work with it.

It's a very sticky situation. Android is excellent for the end user. However, it may be a bit too much for the manufacturers to handle. That's not to mention the extra work on the carrier's side. Especially with Verizon trying to control all of their phones' OSes.

Apple's success has always come from their simplicity. And simply taking control of everything in-spite of the end-user effect, will likely leave them in the lead for a while. They will really have to innovate though if they want to stay ahead.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones