• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root July OTA update without ROM?

So my wife and I both have rooted Erises and we rooted them pryor to the July OTA update. Is there any way for us to get and flash it to or phones now since we can no longer get OTAs? We haven't flashed ROMs to our phones, just rooted Stock 2.1.

Look around for the features of some of the Roms. Quite a few of them have the July update included in the rom. I think XTR is one of them.

Upvote 0
So my wife and I both have rooted Erises and we rooted them pryor to the July OTA update. Is there any way for us to get and flash it to or phones now since we can no longer get OTAs? We haven't flashed ROMs to our phones, just rooted Stock 2.1.

Well, you could *attempt* this over-flash technique put together by n8thegr8 on XDA. It should leave all your settings intact.

[SIZE=+2]WARNING![/SIZE] This method should ONLY BE USED ON LEAK-V3 or the ORIGINAL (pre-July) 2.1 OTA "stock-rooted" phones!!!

I am not giving this a "two thumbs up" or anything like that; I am telling you that it is a possibility. Do not attempt to use this if you are not sure what previous version of HTC Android was on your phone.

Note also that this update flashes the radio to the newest available - just as the July 17 OTA did. If that makes you nervous, don't do it.

Before you do anything, make sure that your phone is well charged, and you make a Nandroid Backup, just in case.

eu1

Upvote 0
Well, you could *attempt* this over-flash technique put together by n8thegr8 on XDA. It should leave all your settings intact.

[SIZE=+2]WARNING![/SIZE] This method should ONLY BE USED ON LEAK-V3 or the ORIGINAL (pre-July) 2.1 OTA "stock-rooted" phones!!!

I am not giving this a "two thumbs up" or anything like that; I am telling you that it is a possibility. Do not attempt to use this if you are not sure what previous version of HTC Android was on your phone.

Note also that this update flashes the radio to the newest available - just as the July 17 OTA did. If that makes you nervous, don't do it.

Before you do anything, make sure that your phone is well charged, and you make a Nandroid Backup, just in case.

eu1

So is this the only currently known way to flash the July update to a stock-rooted phone without flashing a ROM that has the July update built in? Above it is mentioned that the OTA will update the radio to the newest version... why would that be a bad thing? Also, in the XDA post linked above, n8thegr8 had to fix his SU permissions after flashing the update... would that be required of anyone who does this? Sorry if these questions are noob-ish, I'm new to rooting and although I am really close to experimenting with ROMS I'm just nervous about wiping and flashing my phone cause I've never had a problem with my phone like so many unfortunate posters in this forum.http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=598345

Upvote 0
So is this the only currently known way to flash the July update to a stock-rooted phone without flashing a ROM that has the July update built in? Above it is mentioned that the OTA will update the radio to the newest version... why would that be a bad thing? Also, in the XDA post linked above, n8thegr8 had to fix his SU permissions after flashing the update... would that be required of anyone who does this? Sorry if these questions are noob-ish, I'm new to rooting and although I am really close to experimenting with ROMS I'm just nervous about wiping and flashing my phone cause I've never had a problem with my phone like so many unfortunate posters in this forum.
Dude, just use this ROM, PlainjaneT2_V2.0 it's harmless, it's got "sense" it's fast very stable AND it's got the July OTA you were looking for. Plain Jane and XTR 3.0.3 are my "go to" ROMs if you need help with droping the ROM onto the root of your sd or flashing from recovery just PM me & I'll walk you through it step by step :D

Upvote 0
So is this the only currently known way to flash the July update to a stock-rooted phone without flashing a ROM that has the July update built in? Above it is mentioned that the OTA will update the radio to the newest version... why would that be a bad thing? Also, in the XDA post linked above, n8thegr8 had to fix his SU permissions after flashing the update... would that be required of anyone who does this? Sorry if these questions are noob-ish, I'm new to rooting and although I am really close to experimenting with ROMS I'm just nervous about wiping and flashing my phone cause I've never had a problem with my phone like so many unfortunate posters in this forum.http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=598345

greenmunky,

I started answering the questions you posed above, but then was bothered by something:

1)
The only ROMs that the "n8thegr8" method should be used on are Leak-V3 or "virginal" phones that only went through OTAs culminating in Android 2.1 (prior to the July 17 OTA). But - if you had truly only done an "in-place-root" on one of these HTC ROMs, then you would have received the July OTA anyway. The fact that you didn't suggests one or two things: either you had a Leak-V1 or Leak-V2 ROM, or you manually removed the OTA update app from the phone using root privilege.

Because I don't know which it is in your case, I no longer recommend you use the n8thegr8 method to you.

2)
The timing of the 17 July OTA and the appearance of "in-place" rooting methods ("engtools3.zip", wag3slav3, "Dummies", or "One-Click") are contemporaneous with the appearance of the OTA. Jcase published "engtools3.zip" on 13 July, wag3lav3 put his post up on 13 July, the OTA started rolling out sometime around 16-17 July, and the "easy, in-place" rooting methods appeared around 20 July ("Dummies") or 1 August ("One-Click").

Before that time, all rooting methods (including the tereg "SD Card Eject" method) culminated their rooting by installation of a custom recovery and ROM replacement - not in-place rooting. I suppose it is possible that you got rooted sometime between the 13th and the 17th - and then also manually removed the OTA updater after that.

Anyhow - both of these things make me leery of recommending the "n8thegr8" patch to you, since I really don't know what you are starting with. I really have no way of knowing what you are starting with, because you didn't provide that information. That starting point is critical - and unfortunately, n8thegr8 removed the version checks which were in the original patch kit, so his patch kit won't protect you from applying it to the wrong HTC ROM.

(Having said that, performing a Nandroid backup of your current ROM will keep you safe - if you want to try the patch, go ahead - just make sure you have a successful Nandroid backup made before you try it)

I'm just nervous about wiping and flashing my phone cause I've never had a problem with my phone like so many unfortunate posters in this forum.

Bear in mind the effects of "availability bias". The silent majority that never have any problems don't let out a peep on these forums, whereas the people who have genuine problems come here looking for help. That makes it appear as if everyone has problems. There are also a class of users who take a perfunctory and haphazard approach to everything in life - including their treatment of computers; and, when things inevitably go wrong they are quick to blame their computer rather than themselves.

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones