• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root just a double check before i instal new app please

well....that was spectacularly unsuccessful :)

i think before i look at cards, i ought to get used to sorting this one out first!! i followed the step by step, ive downloaded and burned gparted onto cd. ive changed my boot order to read cd first. i booted and heard the cd whirring away. the pc booted up looking normal which i wasnt expecting (didnt really know what to expect) but i carried on following the steps.
i connected the phone in recovery mode and navigated to mount as usb storage. thats where it all stopped.
i then got a page that said 'usb mass storage device. leaving this menu unmount sd card from your pc'
and it only gave me one option 'unmount'. i had to press it to try but it just took me to previous page. went through it all again and same result.

any ideas gents? :-/

thanks

EDIT:another thing puzzling me, above the step by step in the section 'how do i make it work' it says something about a setting swap=0. i dont understand that as it doesnt mention it in the step by step. could you enlighten me please? :)

thanks again

Upvote 0
if you use alternative methods to partition (not gparted) some of them ask what swap size you want. If prompted, 0 is the answer.

How did you burn the iso to CD? You HAVE to use CD burning software to "Burn ISO" as the ISO is an image of the CD so needs to be written as a specific iso file.

If your pc boots up normal, its not worked. It will look like loads of text and options for setting up keyboard etc. Then you will see a linux desktop which looks nothing like windows.

When you mount usb mass storage, leaving that menu or selecting unmount unmiunts the sd card. Whilst you are in the menu, it is mounted.

Hope this answers your question

Upvote 0
if you use alternative methods to partition (not gparted) some of them ask what swap size you want. If prompted, 0 is the answer.

How did you burn the iso to CD? You HAVE to use CD burning software to "Burn ISO" as the ISO is an image of the CD so needs to be written as a specific iso file.

If your pc boots up normal, its not worked. It will look like loads of text and options for setting up keyboard etc. Then you will see a linux desktop which looks nothing like windows.

When you mount usb mass storage, leaving that menu or selecting unmount unmiunts the sd card. Whilst you are in the menu, it is mounted.

Hope this answers your question

hmm it certainly answers the swap=0 question, but baffles me why it hasnt worked with gparted. i used nero to burn the file, and ive just loaded cd again and checked the file. says its gparted-live-0.8.1-3.iso and its 130,512Kb. also says image file.
ill try booting again and make sure its still cd drive as 1st boot, but im sure it is :-/

cheers

EDIT: yep same result, normal windows. dunno why its not booting from gparted file.

Upvote 0
No You're just burning it as data. It shouldnt show as an ISO. It should show like a proper CD. You need to select an option to "burn ISO image" or something.

I believe in Nero its called "Burn Image"???

ah right. getting there getting there thanks :) ive now burned the image, and booted to gparted disc. and yes, a little bit unnerving at first, especially when its asking for keypad options or something, but i just stuck with the default options and it came up with the software.

but....next problem :-(

it doesnt seem to find my phone. the table listed 4 rows.
/dev/sda1 pq service 11 GiB
/dev/sda2 system reserved 100 MiB
/dev/sda3 packard bell 221.07 GiB
unallocated 1 MiB

which to me suggests its my pc. i clicked refresh devices, and also the drop down on RH side but that was the only one listed.

my phone showed the same message as before. i mounted as usb storage but the next page had that same message about leaving this menu unmount the sd card and just had the one option 'unmount'

sorry to be a pain gents, but whats gone wrong this time? :)

thanks

EDIT: since found out my phones changed a bit. my opera mini is no longer installed and ive got different ringtone notifications. even tho i havent changed anything!! i just did a reboot from the recovery when i had no success with gparted.

Upvote 0
If refresh devices doesn't work, you can try exiting Gparted and opening it again from the linux desktop.

If you plug the phone into USB before booting the PC, often it will stop gparted from booting. I tend to plug it in and set to "mount USB mass storage" around the keyboard options or just after. If you can plug it in before it loads the desktop and gparted, chances are it will be amongst devices when you check.

You go into "mount USB mass storage" and then its mounted. You just stay in that menu, which only has one option to unmount. Thats normal. What you do when you're done is either select "unmount" or use back to leave that menu. When you leave that menu, it is unmounted.

Another tip is that you can "mount USB mass storage" whilst the device is unplugged from usb. So whilst you are booting from CD, Mount USB mass storage, then around or after keyboard and language options, plug it in and it should mount immediately.

Upvote 0
If refresh devices doesn't work, you can try exiting Gparted and opening it again from the linux desktop.

If you plug the phone into USB before booting the PC, often it will stop gparted from booting. I tend to plug it in and set to "mount USB mass storage" around the keyboard options or just after. If you can plug it in before it loads the desktop and gparted, chances are it will be amongst devices when you check.

You go into "mount USB mass storage" and then its mounted. You just stay in that menu, which only has one option to unmount. Thats normal. What you do when you're done is either select "unmount" or use back to leave that menu. When you leave that menu, it is unmounted.

Another tip is that you can "mount USB mass storage" whilst the device is unplugged from usb. So whilst you are booting from CD, Mount USB mass storage, then around or after keyboard and language options, plug it in and it should mount immediately.

:) think im there :)

set phone to mount but unplugged, and plugged it in just after keymap and language. still didnt work. refreshed list, still didnt work. unplugged and plugged in again, refreshed list and it picked it up :)

all went as per the step by step apart from one choice i had to make that im not sure about.
the SBS (step by step) said 'R Click in unallocated space and select NEW>EXT format of your choice'
well i clicked NEW but there was no EXT, just a new table that came up with the default choice of primary partition and ext 2. the other choice was extended partition and file system 'extended'.

i knew i had to make it EXT but obviously both choices have an EXT in them. i remembered reading about ext3 being good enough, you dont need ext 4 etc etc, so i went with the default choice of primary partition but changed the ext2 to ext3.
i now have a table that reads:

unallocated 4MiB
dev/sdb1 fat32 3.18
dev/sdb2 ext3 500MiB

that ok?

also, i expected my apps to have disappeared once id booted the phone up, and was ready to have to replace the backup onto the sd card. but ive looked, and all my apps seem to be still there, including data which im happy about. that normal? (even my opera mini seems to have reappeared :)

thanks for all this help, i really appreciate the quick answers and explanations.

cheers

Upvote 0
Yep thats right. Also, yes - it shouldnt wipe data on the existing partition providing there is more free space than the size of the partition reduction. However, always best to make a backup first.

You're there. Good work!

Its been a while since I have done this so I will revise the steps when I get chance.

excellent, thanks ever so much for your help.

i believe im now ready to go ahead with flashing leedroid GB. ive had a quick look at the page on xda that descibes what it contains. it also mentions in the SBS to flash an alignment patch first. following the SBS it says after flashing that, do a full wipe and clockworkmod will format sdext or something. will this be apparent that its happened?
then i flash the rom too.
its just not too clear whether i do the full wipe, then flash the alignment patch, then the rom, or alignment/wipe/rom. that would appear to be the wrong choice, altho thats the order it appears in the SBS.

ive already got a nandroid of the stock rom im on, i must have cos i went back to it from CM7, so i assume i dont need any more nandroids yet. if i dont like leedroid, i dont need to nandroid it as i wouldnt be going back to it yes?
just a case of now downloading and flashing roms to my hearts content? :)

just another question about the sd card if you dont mind. as it stands, ive got lots of apps and data on there. and some on my phone itself as i used ap2sd (no+) which doesnt move all the app.
so......when i wipe the phone to instal rom, it wipes part of an app too?
i then have a fresh rom on phone, but partial apps on the sd card?
or has titanium backed up full apps that are on my card and waiting to be restored?

at what point does leedroid auto move my apps onto sd card? just every new one i download and instal? or does it actually do something with what ive already got?

cheers

Upvote 0
DONT flash the alignment patch. You used gparted so its already aligned.

sorted thanks, im now running leedroid, and it seems quite good. in fact to be honest, i cant tell much difference :) (which was maybe the point, but maybe roms are wasted on me eh? :)

all my data is now restored by titanium, and happy days. think this thread can now be put to bed thank you. im sure ill have plenty more questions in my quest to understand all this a bit more, but theyre for another thread i think. as for this, i couldnt have done it without all your help, so thanks a lot to everyone whos contributed and helped me.

cheers

Reactions: SUroot
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones