• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got a Nexus 7. Taking back my Transformer 300

TriumphLance

Android Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2011
Hello, I just wanted to give my experiences between a 7 inch and 10 inch tablet. I've been tablet shopping for a while. I was set on a 10inch from the get go. I looked at the Nexus 7 and just laughed at how small it was. I got a Tf300. I thought it would be perfect for me. I got the 32gb version downloaded a ton of games and played around with it for a week. Well I quickly realized that you can't hold a 10 inch tablet to play games with, my arms and neck were aching and I began thinking the thought of using my tablet was a tiring ordeal rather than a pleasant one. So I remembered the Nexus 7 and how light it is. I decided to give it a try. I'm simply as happy as can be with this thing. I've just typed this whole thing with my nexus 7 in portrait view and its so much easier and less of a hassle than the 10inch. The portability of it in comparison to the 10inch is just huge, I can see myself taking this thing far more places than I would think of the other one. Also the Nexus 7 has some great value almost half the price of my transformer that I'll be returning tomorrow. :)

I would love to have kept the tf300 but money is a concern with me right now as the tf300 was $420 with taxes and the nexus 7 was only $260. So far I don't miss the tf300 much at all. The nexus 7 is incredibly practical at half the weight and same cpu and RAM. The 300 nearly seemed like a chore to use. Only thing that might be a problem is only 13 gb of usable memory, but I know there are ways around this.

Upvote 0
They're two different devices for different uses. I have a transformer infinity with keyboard dock and a nexus 7. I use the nexus7 as a multimedia device for videos, books, and browsing. I use the transformer as a laptop (thanks to Splashtop 2) with great battery life. It's just so much easier to do real work on a keyboard compared to a touchscreen.

Upvote 0
The Nexus 7 is a great video player, given it's smaller size. I do prefer my Transformer TF101 for movies and Netflix though, simply the ergonomics make it better for that. The TF101 is also better for web browsing and magazine reading, but is uncomfortable for eBooks and the audio quality is far worse than the Nexus for music listening.

You really do need both :)

Upvote 0
I bought it mainly for the games and I prefer web browsing on the Nexus 7 because it's more comfortable and there's something about having a all this power in such a small device that is just awesome. I'm not putting down the Asus Transformer at all, they are very nice tablets, just not for me. I really want Asus to release their own 7 or 8 inch tablet next year with full features (hdmi sd card slot) with the Tegra 4 that would be awesome.

Upvote 0
I bought it mainly for the games and I prefer web browsing on the Nexus 7 because it's more comfortable and there's something about having a all this power in such a small device that is just awesome. I'm not putting down the Asus Transformer at all, they are very nice tablets, just not for me. I really want Asus to release their own 7 or 8 inch tablet next year with full features (hdmi sd card slot) with the Tegra 4 that would be awesome.

I completely agree that browsing is much better on the Nexus7. Quite frankly, I would not even own the transformer if it wasn't for the dock. It puts it in a class of it's own that makes it impossible to compare to any other tab other than the other transformers. The 7in tab market seems to really be taking off so I could see Asus doing that down the road.

Upvote 0
I completely agree that browsing is much better on the Nexus7. Quite frankly, I would not even own the transformer if it wasn't for the dock. It puts it in a class of it's own that makes it impossible to compare to any other tab other than the other transformers. The 7in tab market seems to really be taking off so I could see Asus doing that down the road.

yeah I probably would've liked the Transformer better with the keyboard dock, but that was putting it in a different price range when the Nexus 7 is only $250. I was having to use it as a tablet though and it was just too heavy to be comfortable... I would love Asus to make a tablet with the same foot print of the Nexus 7 but with the thinner bezel and 8 inch screen tegra 4 :)

Upvote 0
Having just bought Horn for 25p (thanks Google :), I find it nicer playing Horn on my Transformer Prime. Both the Prime and the N7 have the same screen resolution, but somehow the scenery looks better on the bigger screen. And of course the Prime now has Jelly Bean as well :)

I still use the N7 for most things though.

Upvote 0
I can't remember any problems with the stock browser on ICS, but I tend to use Chrome anyway. To be honest I only use the TF201 for things like reading comics and playing Horn, so I can't think what the browsing speed is like.

The only thing I really noticed with the update is that the user interface is noticably smoother. I hadn't thought the TF201 was juddery until I got my N7, and then I really noticed the difference. With the Jelly Bean update there's now no difference between the two.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones