• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just got Lollipop 5.0-but don't have all features of it

TKay

Lurker
May 29, 2015
Hi all. I have been on Android for about 10mths now with a Galaxy S5 in Australia. The phone was bought with 4.4.2 kitkat which I never had any issues with.

Well I finally got Lollipop 5.0 yesterday and to be honest, I wish I didn't download it, but rather wait for a further Lollipop version. What baffles me is that I don't have all the features of this software version that I have been reading about.

1. Unable to reply to messages on lockscreen from the lockscreen. This is the feature I most wanted as a friend has an iphone 6 plus and I see the same feature. I get for eg, an SMS from my wife (from her iphone 5S) and I pull down it and the "reply" or "call" option appears. But nothing happens when I press on the options. I have to unlock it as before to reply or call.
However, this does not happen from landline phone calls from my folks. When I pull down the notification from a missed call, I am able to call back from the lockscreen.

2. Pinning apps. Apparently when you access the recent apps, there is supposed to be a pin that you can click on and it locks the phone for everything but that app. Mine doesn't have it.

3. Quick settings pull down. Apparently you pull down from the top as per usual for notifications and then if you pull down a second time, you get a quick settings menu. Again, I don't have that second option.

3. Material design. All my icons are exactly the same as before, I have checked.

I am really confused why I have Lollipop 5.0 but not all these features on what is still a very high end phone. And why the call or reply back from lockscreen works only partly. To make matters worse, I hate the way you now have to exit the recent apps and return to your homescreen. Before, I used to press the recent apps button and if I wanted to go back to homescreen, all I had to do was press anywhere outside of any app box. But now, pressing outside of the app box does nothing. You now have to press the home button to return to homescreen. This is a backwards step.

And I've had the first problem ever of downloading an app. I downloaded twice the Sonic racing game and in both cases, there is sound only. Never had anything like this before.

But yes, I do have Androids's version of flappy bird. If I can only now all the rest of the features. Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi all. I have been on Android for about 10mths now with a Galaxy S5 in Australia. The phone was bought with 4.4.2 kitkat which I never had any issues with.

Well I finally got Lollipop 5.0 yesterday and to be honest, I wish I didn't download it, but rather wait for a further Lollipop version. What baffles me is that I don't have all the features of this software version that I have been reading about.

1. Unable to reply to messages on lockscreen from the lockscreen. This is the feature I most wanted as a friend has an iphone 6 plus and I see the same feature. I get for eg, an SMS from my wife (from her iphone 5S) and I pull down it and the "reply" or "call" option appears. But nothing happens when I press on the options. I have to unlock it as before to reply or call.
However, this does not happen from landline phone calls from my folks. When I pull down the notification from a missed call, I am able to call back from the lockscreen.

2. Pinning apps. Apparently when you access the recent apps, there is supposed to be a pin that you can click on and it locks the phone for everything but that app. Mine doesn't have it.

3. Quick settings pull down. Apparently you pull down from the top as per usual for notifications and then if you pull down a second time, you get a quick settings menu. Again, I don't have that second option.

3. Material design. All my icons are exactly the same as before, I have checked.

I am really confused why I have Lollipop 5.0 but not all these features on what is still a very high end phone. And why the call or reply back from lockscreen works only partly. To make matters worse, I hate the way you now have to exit the recent apps and return to your homescreen. Before, I used to press the recent apps button and if I wanted to go back to homescreen, all I had to do was press anywhere outside of any app box. But now, pressing outside of the app box does nothing. You now have to press the home button to return to homescreen. This is a backwards step.

And I've had the first problem ever of downloading an app. I downloaded twice the Sonic racing game and in both cases, there is sound only. Never had anything like this before.

But yes, I do have Androids's version of flappy bird. If I can only now all the rest of the features. Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Thank you for your post.

There are currently 40 different models of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and over 3,000 different stock Samsung firmware versions, worldwide, covering 4 different Android platforms, Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4, Android 5.0 and Android 5.0.1. Not all issues will affect all models or firmware releases and your answers to the following questions will help in the forum's answers to your specific query.

#1. Could you post your Model number and Android version...

To locate these, go to...

Settings > More > About device > Model number and Android version

This will give you the model of Samsung Galaxy S5 that you have and which Android version you are on.

#2. Your current Firmware, (not just Baseband), version .

To locate your current firmware version, go to the stock, Samsung, dial pad and type in...

*#1234#

This will give you your, "Version", details in full, usually 3 lines of information, AP: CP: CSC:, which may all be relevant.

*** If code *#1234# has been disabled on your firmware, you can download and install, free from the Play Store, Phone Info and it will give you, under Firmware Info... PDA, Baseband, CSC, versions.

#3. Also helpful would be your carrier, (service provider), location, (UK, India, Russia, USA, etc: ), and if your phone is rooted or not and running a custom ROM, (give details).

Thanks. The above helps us to help you and hopefully someone will be able to reply to you shortly. :)

For more information, see, 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

(TIP If you are a poster it is a good idea to mention your model number and firmware version in case this has a bearing on your problem.

Better still, if you have 25+ posts to your name, you can go to the black bar at the top of this forum and click on your
Username, which will show a drop down menu. Just select, "Signature", and you can enter in the signature box the details of your phone, i.e. - "Galaxy S5 G900F".This ensures that your device details are shown in every post you make. You can update this as often as you like and will help other users immediately identify your phone and firmware.)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. As for details, I am in Australia with Virgin Mobile. The model number of Galaxy S5 is SM G900F and stock standard-not rooted. The firmware version is:

AP:G900FDXU1BNL3
CP:G900FDXU1BNL1
CSC:G900FOLB1BNL3

Hope that helps. P.S. My biggest gripe is battery life. My phone doesn't overheat like I've read elsewhere but battery life has gone down as so many others can attest.

Last edited:
Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
I'm in USA with mother knows all Verizon.

They forced 5.0 onto my phone last week.

I am still upset over the mess they created, and the lack of features that I used to have.
They lost Paid For apps even though I had them backed up, and now Play Store wants me to pay for them again??
Criminal that is.

You too eh? Yeah, I wish I left my phone on 4.4.2 kitkat. Never had issues with that. Let's hope Android M fares better. This encourages me to keep my phone for a few years at least so I can see if Google has better performance with future Android versions. When I do eventually replace my S5 (which I love) I will consider Google's own phone, Nexus. But to be totally honest, this time around I didn't even consider Apple. In a few years I won't say never say never. If Android is still having all manner of problems and Apple finally has phones with 16-20MP cameras and things like IR blasters and wireless charging, I will consider. I really prefer not to go with that crowd. So many of them have such a superior attitutde and I feel like I am going with the in crowd which I hate.

But I am experiencing for myself firsthand Google's detractors comments of a fragmented, disjointed operating system. Hopefully in a couple of years, things change dramatically for the better and Google gains consistency and reliability across the board. I would love nothing more than to stick with Android and all the freedoms it offers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. As for details, I am in Australia with Virgin Mobile. The model number of Galaxy S5 is SM G900F and stock standard-not rooted. The firmware version is:

AP:G900FDXU1BNL3
CP:G900FDXU1BNL1
CSC:G900FOLB1BNL3

Hope that helps. P.S. My biggest gripe is battery life. My phone doesn't overheat like I've read elsewhere but battery life has gone down as so many others can attest.

You are on the very old stock Samsung firmware for Malaysia, NL3, released 19th December 2014, for Lollipop. There have been 2 further updates for your model of phone, G900F, and CSC code, OLB. These updates are OA2 and the last one was OC2, released 23rd March. These updates contain bugfixes and enhancements to Lollipop. I suggest that after updating, you wipe the cache partition as per #1.3 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide or perhaps consider doing a Full wipe and Factory Data Reset as per post #2 of the guide.

Samsung retain their stock icons for continuity reasons.

I'm in USA with mother knows all Verizon.

They forced 5.0 onto my phone last week.

I am still upset over the mess they created, and the lack of features that I used to have.
They lost Paid For apps even though I had them backed up, and now Play Store wants me to pay for them again??
Criminal that is.

Sorry AZgl1500 old boy, but your Verizon firmware is nothing whatsoever to do with the Samsung Lollipop firmwares and we don't get forced updates as this thread proves. There is as much similarity to Verizon's version of Lollipop when compared to the latest worldwide Samsung releases, as there is between a camel and a horse. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
You are on the very old stock Samsung firmware for Malaysia, NL3, released 19th December 2014, for Lollipop. There have been 2 further updates for your model of phone, G900F, and CSC code, OLB. These updates are OA2 and the last one was OC2, released 23rd March. These updates contain bugfixes and enhancements to Lollipop. I suggest that after updating, you wipe the cache partition as per #1.3 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide or perhaps consider doing a Full wipe and Factory Data Reset as per post #2 of the guide.

Samsung retain their stock icons for continuity reasons. ;)

Thanks for that. I have tried your first suggestion so I will most probably do a factory reset. Thanks again. If things go better, I will let you know.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Well I have done a factory reset. And what a total cockup the whole procedure has been. This is not the first factory reset I did so I am not unfamiliar with it. In fact I did 2 resets. The first time I signed in and apps started coming back. Then stopped. So I did a second reset. This time none of my downloaded apps came back. Now I have to manually download every one again. And yes, I did a backup just before the reset and pressed the "restore" button. But nothing has come back.

My advice. Don't download Lollipop 5.0. Wait to 5.1. This seriously has dampened my resolve to continue with Android the next time round.

Upvote 0
Did you update your Lollipop firmware to OC2 before doing a Full wipe and Factory Data Reset?

As per #2.1 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide it is always a good idea to do a, "belt and braces", backup just in case the Play Store or Google servers in your country/location are experiencing issues.

Hi all, I'm back. I am not unaware of factory resets. I in fact did 2 before because of the 2 common bugs that affected the Galaxy S5 with kitkat 4.4.2. The "media server" and "qdaemon" camera bug. In both cases, all my apps came back after the factory reset. When I tried factory reset after Lollipop, the apps started coming back but failed for some reason.

Anyhoo, I've plodded along and reinstalled everything again. Next time obviously I will back up through Kies. The battery issue seems to have run its course and in fact I am getting better battery life than before. But Lollipop on my S5 has done some weird things.

For eg, I regularly have trouble with apps on Google play. Obviously many apps are not compatible with Lollipop. A good example is the Sonic racing game. I have installed this three times and each time there is sound only. Other apps stop and crash. I am not worried as this will obviously improve with time.

I still don't have those missing features I mentioned in my OP. Not too worried, but what I don't like is changes for the sake of changes. There seems to be a lot of that in Lollipop. A great example is the fingerprint scanner. In kitkat, the area for the finger swipe was well delineated with an arrow composed of small white dots. Now with Lollipop, there is just an arrow at the bottom of the screen. You have to kind of guess the area to swipe your finger. This is just comsetic change (for the worse) for no real reason. But credit where credit is due. The fingerprint swipe scanner actually works better than before. So good job there. Also when registering a fingerprint, Lollipop tells you what I figured out long ago for good reading success. "Swipe at different angles" is a message you get. So well done there.

Another silly change is the Peel smart remote pre installed app. Before, on the notification panel on kitkat, there was a "hide" and "show" icon so I could easily collapse or expand the remote interface. This is gone now for no good reason and I have to do that now by going into the app itself through settings. Change for the sake of change and for the worse.

However, I really do love the card stack recent app screen and notifications on the lock screen. So they are big pluses.

I'm just wondering. There is obviously a lot of copying by Google and Samsung with respect to ios and Apple phones, why doesn't Google copy one feature that is really important? Updates direct from Google themselves? Not just the Nexus series but all Android phones.

I do remember reading about the last update for ios and Apple said there wouldn't be many new features but a concerted effort instead to resolves bugs and issues. I really do think Google should do that with Android M. Just fix all the issues and bugs.

But overall, I am preferring now Lollipop over kitkat with some of the enhanced features and battery life, (that eventually improved over the initial heavy drain). And as I said, if I ever do another factory reset, I will come back here and look that up so the same thing doesn't happen again. Oh, and I am really happy that the damn "media server" and "qdaemon" camera bug is gone. And for the record, I looked up fixes to that camera bug and nothing worked. Until I installed a "camless" app which basically was a toggle for the camera. That worked perfectly, I just had to remember to toggle the camera on for photos.

But yeah, why can't Google directly update all Android phones themselves? I do think that would be a way forward for them and nullify one of Apple's advantages. My wife is a big iphone fan and I do get a little jealous when a new update is released and 3 weeks later she had got it. Including a tutorial app about the new update. I get Lollipop almost half a year after it was released and have to Google all the new changes.

And for the record. Some people at Google have waaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands. Seriously, that embedded android version of flappy bird on Lollipop is what I expect a 6 yr old to come up with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The issue about that is the manufacturers get the update from Google, then it's sent to the carriers while the carriers have to add their touches to the updates. All up to the carrier when and how that update is released.

Yes I realise. Why can't Google issue the updates to the users directly instead of to carriers who then issue to us? Like Apple do. Not all the issues surrounding Android vs Apple is the handsets. It's the operating system itself plus the app stores. A MAJOR disadvantage that Android has is the long waiting times for updates. Why can't Google do like Apple and release direct to users?

I see that Google is working on resolving a problem with the Google play store in having to give all or nothing permissions for their apps. Again, like the Apple app store. If Google can work on that I can't see why they can't work on giving timely updates to users directly.

Upvote 0
Hi all, I'm back. I am not unaware of factory resets. I in fact did 2 before because of the 2 common bugs that affected the Galaxy S5 with kitkat 4.4.2. The "media server" and "qdaemon" camera bug. In both cases, all my apps came back after the factory reset. When I tried factory reset after Lollipop, the apps started coming back but failed for some reason.

yes, even though I used Kies as a 3rd backup some of my apps got lost, and had to be downloaded thru the Play Store again.

I still don't have those missing features I mentioned in my OP. Not too worried, but what I don't like is changes for the sake of changes. There seems to be a lot of that in Lollipop. A great example is the fingerprint scanner.

This is a MAJOR gripe for me, and the new OS was forced on me, I did not want it period.

In kitkat, the area for the finger swipe was well delineated with an arrow composed of small white dots. Now with Lollipop, there is just an arrow at the bottom of the screen. You have to kind of guess the area to swipe your finger. This is just comsetic change (for the worse) for no real reason.

Agree, a bad change and don't like it

However, I really do love the card stack recent app screen and notifications on the lock screen. So they are big pluses.
ummmm, we disagree on this, hate the Card Stack

I do remember reading about the last update for ios and Apple said there wouldn't be many new features but a concerted effort instead to resolves bugs and issues. I really do think Google should do that with Android M. Just fix all the issues and bugs.

Wish this is all that ever happened... just fix the broken stuff.

But yeah, why can't Google directly update all Android phones themselves?

IF ONLY, keep the damn providers totally out of the OS business, we do not need, nor do I want any of that crap bloatware.

And for the record. Some people at Google have waaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands. Seriously, that embedded android version of flappy bird on Lollipop is what I expect a 6 yr old to come up with.

I delete all games and social apps, so never saw the flappy bird.

I'm still wondering if rooting my phone is going to happen..... 4.4.4 was as good as the phone needed to have. It worked, nothing was broke, all was peace and quiet..... then along came this POS 5.0 stuff which is horrible IMO.

Can't see the screen, prompts have disappeared, totally unviewable in sunlight, whereas 4.4.4 was very easy for me to see the screen in bright sun.

Obviously, the script kiddies that invented 5.0 are all children who don't have color blindness in their genes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones