• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just scored Evo at RS for $400

Oridus

Android Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2010
Wisconsin
I just started Sprint service in Jan, so I definitely am not eligible for upgrade. So I went to pre-order at RS. I called first, the Manager of the store told me they were selling it for $449.99. I was like sweet, retail value. I went inside the store, and before I pre-ordered, he confirmed the price.

So, I put the $50 down.

Later to find out through these forums, RS' price is $499.99 as you all know. I was a little dumbfounded. I didn't like the fact I was lied to by the manager.

I called him, and he denied ever telling me the first (lower) price, and that there was nothing he could do. He also told me that I couldn't go any higher than him because he was the area manager. I ended up calling another store in my area, and got the number to his district office.

The office apologized for the troubles after listening to my story. After about 30 mins on hold, they came back and said that if I would still purchase the device through them, they would drop the price down to $400. $400 minus my $50 pre-order deposit, minus the $130 I got for my TP2 means i'm paying $220 before tax out of pocket. Not a bad deal.

:D I know this really has nothing to do with trying to get the rest of you lower prices, but I thought I would share the story.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones