• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

K-9 Email

Is there a way to "undelete" messages? I deleted all my mail by mistake (and I didn't know that the confirm deletion wasn't on by default), when I was going to mark all as read, and my thick thumb hit the bin-icon...
Can't find a way to move them back to the inbox.
And how do you excactly create new folders?

Thanks.

You can go to the Trash folder and the messages will still be there. From the Inbox... Menu->Folder List->Trash. I don't see any way to move them back to the Inbox, but you can do everything with them you can do if they are in the Inbox.

If you are using POP3, there is no way to create a folder. There is if you are using IMAP.

Upvote 0
Hello all,

Could someone please explain what's the difference between "poll" and "push".

Thank you !

Push is a feature or IMAP email such as Gmail. When Gmail has a email for you it pushes it to you. Pop3 accounts don't push the messages to you they have to be retrieved which is what "Poll" is. It would be less complicated if they called it fetch instead of poll.

Upvote 0
Push is a feature or IMAP email such as Gmail. When Gmail has a email for you it pushes it to you. Pop3 accounts don't push the messages to you they have to be retrieved which is what "Poll" is. It would be less complicated if they called it fetch instead of poll.

Thanks a lot. All my email accounts are IMAP so i don't need poll anymore.
Thank you again.

Upvote 0
Bump, in case my original post was overlooked-

"Does K-9 have an option to auto-delete messages after x days? I like that option in the stock email app but am not seeing it in K-9. I'm getting around it, sort of, by having K-9 sync to my email server but having the stock email program check email also so I have a short-term archive available on my phone. "

Upvote 0
Good app
The one thing I really miss in the K9 app is the ability to set polling for certain times during the day, and days of the week.
My wife needs to get her emails during the day when she is out but in the evening and first thing in the morning uses her computer to check and respond to mail. The same situation on the weekends so maybe that will come along soon as well.

Upvote 0
I'm new to Android, just bought an LG Optimus M (MetroPCS) with 2.2. I've been trying to configure the email client it came with to check my IMAP email, and it works great to get into my inbox but... no folders!

I've set up an elaborate folder structure on the server and it would be nice to be able to access the messages I've stored there. From what I can tell, the folders on the server are all inside the inbox. The Drafts, Sent, etc folders are on the same level as the inbox. Neither the Android Mail client nor K-9 mail will allow me to browse any of those folders. When I select the account's folders on the Android Mail client, it simply shows me to the inbox. K-9 keeps me in the inbox no matter what I try!

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a fix for it, or an IMAP client that *does* allow you to navigate folders more thoroughly?

Hate to say this, but "it worked on my iPhone just fine!"

:D

Marcia

Upvote 0
I'm new to Android, just bought an LG Optimus M (MetroPCS) with 2.2. I've been trying to configure the email client it came with to check my IMAP email, and it works great to get into my inbox but... no folders!

I've set up an elaborate folder structure on the server and it would be nice to be able to access the messages I've stored there. From what I can tell, the folders on the server are all inside the inbox. The Drafts, Sent, etc folders are on the same level as the inbox. Neither the Android Mail client nor K-9 mail will allow me to browse any of those folders. When I select the account's folders on the Android Mail client, it simply shows me to the inbox. K-9 keeps me in the inbox no matter what I try!

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a fix for it, or an IMAP client that *does* allow you to navigate folders more thoroughly?

Hate to say this, but "it worked on my iPhone just fine!"

:D

Marcia

In K-9, I think you can accomplish what you want with Folder Class settings. More info is here.

http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/wiki/WorkingWithClasses

Upvote 0
Thanks for the informative replies. I worked through the issue with an LG tech, who I have to say did an impressive job given he didn't really understand the problem at first. Kudos to LG tech support.

Turns out, my IT department's instructions for the iPhone don't work on the Android email client. They instructed me to use the forward slash "/" character in the "IMAP path prefix" setting, which you find in the Incoming Server Settings for the account. I had repeated this setting in the Android email client.

Once I deleted the "/" character from this setting and left it blank, the folders showed up after a quick refresh!

Happy to find out it was that simple to set up - my IT department hasn't posted configuration instructions for the Android yet.

Thanks again,

Marcia

Upvote 0
Good app
The one thing I really miss in the K9 app is the ability to set polling for certain times during the day, and days of the week.
My wife needs to get her emails during the day when she is out but in the evening and first thing in the morning uses her computer to check and respond to mail. The same situation on the weekends so maybe that will come along soon as well.

I am looking for something similar. There is a widget that simply turns K9 on or off. But I would like something that either can have time sensitive polling or more simply a widget that can change the polling frequency with a simple click rather than having to drill down with multiple clicks.

Upvote 0
I just downloaded K9 because I was having a problem with outgoing mail being stuck in my outbox using the standard app. I did a couple of tests, and although I haven't used it enough to be able to judge how well it works overall, at least K9 informs you if it can't send the message. However, I do find the interface a little ugly.

My question - is there a way to bring up your contacts list when entering the address field? It does seem to find contacts when I type in the first few letters, but I'm not always sure which way I might have stored the name.

Upvote 0
My question - is there a way to bring up your contacts list when entering the address field? It does seem to find contacts when I type in the first few letters, but I'm not always sure which way I might have stored the name.

K-9 searches the entire name field, so, if you are looking for John Smith, you can start typing j-o-h... or s-m-i and it will locate it no matter how it is stored.

Reactions: droidros
Upvote 0
I think K9 is awesome... I was having a nightmare trying to get my optimum online email address working with the default email client and was having absolutly no luck. I downloaded K9, integrated all of my many email addresses and it works like a charm. For anyone that is having trouble getting an email address other than gmail to work on their android, download K9

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Captivate. I just downloaded K9 because I needed a program that would limit the email download size (I have clients who sent huge data files - I can wait to get to my computer to get those).

How do I delete the email accounts from my old default mail program? (AH-HA found it in the book - hold down the account bar and a delete screen will show up)

Oh, and will K9 use the "notification" screen?

Upvote 0
I am stumped.
I'm not receiving new messages until I open an inbox, press menu button and select Check Mail. I've looked at the settings both inside K9 and in the general settings app and I'm not seeing what needs changing. what am I doing wrong?

Assuming this is for a POP email account:

Open the inbox, press Menu->More->Settings->Account Settings->Fetching Mail->Folder Poll Frequency. Change this to however often you wish to check.

Upvote 0
Assuming this is for a POP email account:

Open the inbox, press Menu->More->Settings->Account Settings->Fetching Mail->Folder Poll Frequency. Change this to however often you wish to check.

Thanks again for your quick response, Jimdroid. I did manage to stumble across it after I had posted my query - but it certainly wasn't obvious!

Now I have another question.

One of the messages in my inbox is shaded differently from all the others. I am using the dark theme and while all the other messages are on the black background, this one is grey, like it's been highlighted. I can't tell why this one is different from the others and it's driving me a little crazy because I can't unhighlight it. All the messages have the same "read" status and there is a mixture of messages from people in my contacts list and people who aren't.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones