1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

K9 mail using up large amounts of bandwidth?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by booms, Feb 2, 2011.

1. booms

booms Newbie
    None

Oct 2, 2010
    Hi there

I installed K9 mail, and I'm really impressed with it, but it seems to be using up a lot of bandwidth.

At work today, it had received 20mb of data, according to 3G Watchdog Pro (which I trust on these things).

K9 is set to autopoll on three accounts every 5 minutes, but I only actually received 5 emails, and I've set a 32kb limit on downloads of individual emails.

Is there anything obvious that can explain this, as this will kill my data allowance!

Advertisement

2. booms

booms Newbie
    None

Oct 2, 2010
    Well. I turned off 'background sync' - that brought the bandwidth back to normal levels, but even though I've got polling turned on every 5 minutes, it's not telling me when I have new mail - i need to go in and click 'check mail'.

Any tips about how to fix that?

3. tg110

tg110 Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    I've had the same problem - just started this month. I have a 750mb limit per month and have never come anywhere near close.

I am less than 10 days into my new limit and have used over 75%. Downloaded My Data Manager and in the next 15 mins, K9 used up about 2mb.

I had to uninstall it last night as I was forecast to use about 190% of my limit. Hoping I have done it early enough.

It is a great little email client so if anyone does now how to resolve it properly would be great.

4. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    I have mine set to poll only 4 folders (only ones that are phone relevant), and every 60 minutes. I have file size limit to 256k. I can easily manually pull the whole file if I need to, but seldom do. I doubt if K9 uses more han 10mb per month on mine. My auto-sync is always off, background sync is always on. Or just leave K9 syncing off and do it manually... if you have a PC and check mail with it often then manually checking on the phone doesn't pull nearly as much mail.