• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

K9 mail using up large amounts of bandwidth?

booms

Oct 2, 2010
Hi there

I installed K9 mail, and I'm really impressed with it, but it seems to be using up a lot of bandwidth.

At work today, it had received 20mb of data, according to 3G Watchdog Pro (which I trust on these things).

K9 is set to autopoll on three accounts every 5 minutes, but I only actually received 5 emails, and I've set a 32kb limit on downloads of individual emails.

Is there anything obvious that can explain this, as this will kill my data allowance!

I've had the same problem - just started this month. I have a 750mb limit per month and have never come anywhere near close.

I am less than 10 days into my new limit and have used over 75%. Downloaded My Data Manager and in the next 15 mins, K9 used up about 2mb.

I had to uninstall it last night as I was forecast to use about 190% of my limit. Hoping I have done it early enough.

It is a great little email client so if anyone does now how to resolve it properly would be great.

Upvote 0
I have mine set to poll only 4 folders (only ones that are phone relevant), and every 60 minutes. I have file size limit to 256k. I can easily manually pull the whole file if I need to, but seldom do. I doubt if K9 uses more han 10mb per month on mine. My auto-sync is always off, background sync is always on. Or just leave K9 syncing off and do it manually... if you have a PC and check mail with it often then manually checking on the phone doesn't pull nearly as much mail.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones