• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keep screen on in car?

jbloggs2002

Feb 22, 2011
I'm looking for an app that will automatically keep the screen on when I'm in the car. The simplest way would be to keep it on when externally powered AND not connected to home wifi. Is there such an app?

Yes, I know there are plenty of widgets that can do this with one press, but I'm a geek ;-)

In case you don't want to spend the money on Tasker, there is a free version of QuickProfiles which I have been using for over a year that does just that. You can set as many profiles as you want (for example I have one for home, work, meeting and car) for settings for screen timeout, volume of ringer/notifications/media, call volume, different ring tones for different calls, and much more. Then you can just put a shortcut to that profile or all your profiles on your screen.

Upvote 0
Yes, get Tasker.

I have mine setup to keep the screen on when in the car...
and rotate the home screen for my horizontal car mount,
and turn GPS on,
and turn wifi off,
and read all received texts out loud to me,
and respond to texts automatically with a default message,
and change my regular home screen icons for ones that are more useful when driving,
and turn my bluetooth on,
and turn up the media volume...
and I'm soon going to add the option to increase the screen brightness during daylight, and dim it after sunset.:eek:

And that's JUST when I am in the car...
Tasker is amazing;)

Upvote 0
do you have some way of triggering when you're in the car, or do you tell it manually?
I just plug in my car USB charger, which turns on the Bluetooth (and my bluetooth headset is always on and plugged into the lighter-outlet). Then when it automatically connects to the bluetooth, it triggers everything else.

This two-step process keeps it from activating everything if I plug it into a regular USB port. Also, Tasker can tell the difference between a USB and wall power source.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones