1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Keep screen on in car?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jbloggs2002, Feb 22, 2011.

1. jbloggs2002

jbloggs2002 Newbie

I'm looking for an app that will automatically keep the screen on when I'm in the car. The simplest way would be to keep it on when externally powered AND not connected to home wifi. Is there such an app?

Yes, I know there are plenty of widgets that can do this with one press, but I'm a geek ;-)

Advertisement

2. Tasker. Set up a profile to keep the screen awake when plugged in or when connected to your home wifi.

3. mc48

mc48 Android Enthusiast

In case you don't want to spend the money on Tasker, there is a free version of QuickProfiles which I have been using for over a year that does just that. You can set as many profiles as you want (for example I have one for home, work, meeting and car) for settings for screen timeout, volume of ringer/notifications/media, call volume, different ring tones for different calls, and much more. Then you can just put a shortcut to that profile or all your profiles on your screen.

4. jbloggs2002

jbloggs2002 Newbie

Tasker is so beyond worth the money!

Thanks for all replies!

5. MarkHirt

MarkHirt Guest

You might also try..

Setup > Applications > Development > Stay Awake

6. jbloggs2002

jbloggs2002 Newbie

this would also keep the screen on when at home, and also doesn't keep the light on - just the screen content.

7. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Android Expert

Yes, get Tasker.

I have mine setup to keep the screen on when in the car...
    and rotate the home screen for my horizontal car mount,
    and turn GPS on,
    and turn wifi off,
    and read all received texts out loud to me,
    and respond to texts automatically with a default message,
    and change my regular home screen icons for ones that are more useful when driving,
    and turn my bluetooth on,
    and turn up the media volume...
    and I'm soon going to add the option to increase the screen brightness during daylight, and dim it after sunset.:eek:

And that's JUST when I am in the car...
    Tasker is amazing;)

8. jbloggs2002

jbloggs2002 Newbie

do you have some way of triggering when you're in the car, or do you tell it manually?

9. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Android Expert

I just plug in my car USB charger, which turns on the Bluetooth (and my bluetooth headset is always on and plugged into the lighter-outlet). Then when it automatically connects to the bluetooth, it triggers everything else.

This two-step process keeps it from activating everything if I plug it into a regular USB port. Also, Tasker can tell the difference between a USB and wall power source.