• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Kernels?

what do I need to build one? Can I build one from the LG open source website? I am using Ubuntu 15.04 with a fresh install tonight. I could try building one from the ZV5 stock but I am wondering what the easiest way? I am on stock zv5 right now maybe I can extract the kernel from mine with adb and try to make a functioning one. Is setting the lowest clock ie 300 mhz causing deep sleep problems? I think the issue is connected so it can be set a little higher with mine. I am going to hit up the google now and get started. Any help is appreciated guys, we have a good community here

*edit* I am using this tutorial as a starting point http://www.littlegreenrobot.co.uk/tutorials/build-you-own-android-kernel-with-ubuntu/ I am downloading the source code,the ndk and the necassary dependancies right now so I'll either take a crack at it tonight or morning. I'll try to put one together for us

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what do I need to build one? Can I build one from the LG open source website? I am using Ubuntu 15.04 with a fresh install tonight. I could try building one from the ZV5 stock but I am wondering what the easiest way? I am on stock zv5 right now maybe I can extract the kernel from mine with adb and try to make a functioning one. Is setting the lowest clock ie 300 mhz causing deep sleep problems? I think the issue is connected so it can be set a little higher with mine. I am going to hit up the google now and get started. Any help is appreciated guys, we have a good community here

*edit* I am using this tutorial as a starting point http://www.littlegreenrobot.co.uk/tutorials/build-you-own-android-kernel-with-ubuntu/ I am downloading the source code,the ndk and the necassary dependancies right now so I'll either take a crack at it tonight or morning. I'll try to put one together for us

Awesome glad to see your jumping I'm on this. I'd start with the zv4 kernel source in my decaf thread if you want to compile for stock, chevanlol was nice enough to fix lg's code blunder for us. I've just been too busy/lazy to update to zv5 kernel source from lg.

You can look at his github to see how he fixed zv4 kernel, and try to apply that to zv5 source.

Reactions: Sands207
Upvote 0
Awesome glad to see your jumping I'm on this. I'd start with the zv4 kernel source in my decaf thread if you want to compile for stock, chevanlol was nice enough to fix lg's code blunder for us. I've just been too busy/lazy to update to zv5 kernel source from lg.

You can look at his github to see how he fixed zv4 kernel, and try to apply that to zv5 source.

Awesome man! I was wondering if you can tell me which deconf file is the correct one to use? I looked at LG's source and I am not certain which one to pick but if I use the decaf deconf source this will be much easier =) What was used to compile the kernel in ubuntu? Can windows be used for this with the NDK+SDK and java installed? There are a few walkthroughs I am just wondering what others had success with. I was using Lubuntu when I started but I got confused so I will do a fresh install of Ubuntu if I can't use windows to build it. I will try my best and it would be pretty sweet for a stock kernel to have a few handy changes for those that don't use Cyanogenmod. I need to try to resolve the deep issue somehow or avoid it tho

Upvote 0
Wait if you use the ZV4 one would it work in my rooted ZV5?

Yes, even as far back as zv3 would work just fine.

Awesome man! I was wondering if you can tell me which deconf file is the correct one to use? I looked at LG's source and I am not certain which one to pick but if I use the decaf deconf source this will be much easier =) What was used to compile the kernel in ubuntu? Can windows be used for this with the NDK+SDK and java installed? There are a few walkthroughs I am just wondering what others had success with. I was using Lubuntu when I started but I got confused so I will do a fresh install of Ubuntu if I can't use windows to build it. I will try my best and it would be pretty sweet for a stock kernel to have a few handy changes for those that don't use Cyanogenmod. I need to try to resolve the deep issue somehow or avoid it tho

I'd suggest using the x5_spr_us defconfig if compiling from lg source. The rest of your question, I'm not really sure. I'm sure you could use cygwin on windows, I've heard of people doing that. As far as actually compiling the kernel and the commands to do so, that's something you ought to ask bad_mofo about, he has quite a bit of experience with defconfigs and kernel work.

Reactions: Sands207
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones