• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Kick youtube app off my phone?

bennylava

Aug 20, 2011
I've got the U.S Version of the S7 Edge. Sprint is the provider. The reason for this thread is, that I want to be able to watch youtube videos in my browser. NOT on the youtube app that comes installed on the S7 Edge. But no matter how many times I "disable" the youtube app in an attempt to make it start working, Google has seen the need to force me to use it whether I want to or not. I would uninstall it but of course they would never willingly allow that.

Every time I try to watch a vid in my browser, the youtube app turns itself back on and just takes over. Is there any way I can kick the youtube app off my phone? And if this involves root, would I still be able to update Android? Sprint is very good about making sure the updates actually happen, unlike AT&T who doesn't.

YouTube is one of the best apps for smartphone, not sure why you don't want it.

Really I'd have to say there are plenty of reasons, and its an easy answer. You can't block ads. Also, you can't save power with it. I will often use it to listen to music that I don't have, or sometimes even an audiobook, or a radio show, or podcast. I listen to all kinds of stuff on it. If you want to turn the screen off, and save power, you can't.

If you try to minimize it in any way, it cuts off the audio. My browser doesn't do that. Lastly, I don't like being forced into using it just because google says I have to. I don't really play that game, they can play it by themselves. And videos and audio works just fine in a browser, just like on any other computer. You don't need the youtube app for anything. But ads.

Upvote 0
So in other words, you're not in favor of other people earning from Youtube. You'd rather they stop making the videos you watch and listen to, than look at ads. Those ads are how Google pays them you know. I'm sure there is also the royalties for people listening to songs, just like how Pandora and other music streaming services work.

Background playing and ad removal is part of Youtube Red (Youtube premium service). You can always get that.

Reactions: svim and Toto39
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Youtube. You'd rather they stop making the videos you watch and listen to, than look at ads. Those ads arehow Google pays them you know. I'm sure there is also the royalties for people listening to songs, just like how Pandora and other music streaming services work.

Background playing and ad removal is part of Youtube Red (Youtube premium service). You can always get that.

There's a number of arguments against this. Primarily, its not my problem. Most people on youtube, don't get paid. Most people aren't uploading enough and attracting enough people to their channel, to ever earn a paycheck. I can assure you my audiobooks channels are not. Its not affecting those people, because earning money from youtube was never their priority. Next reason would be that we're all way too bombarded by advertisement. A lot can be said (negatively) about the consumer culture and frankly I'm tired of being bombarded with advertisements for stuff I'll never buy in my entire life, and have zero interest in.

Their desperation does not constitute an emergency on my part. Lastly they don't understand moderation. About every 5 minutes in an audiobook, they cut in with a louder ad that is typically very off-putting. You may think its part of the story, or it might just start with a very loud noise at an intense part of the book. I can tell you don't listen to audiobooks, but just take my word for it when I say that audiobooks and ads, don't mix. But neither do ads and music. You're listening to some music that you like, and all the sudden they cut into it, put a full stop to the music, and start playing an ad. Really? You're into that?

The thing is, I wouldn't even care if they gave the slightest consideration to the listener. They don't. Play the ad at the beginning of the long stretch of audio, or at the end. Hell, even fade the audio out some, at some point in the middle, and play the ad then. But no, they don't care. So I don't care either. People don't generally show consideration, when none is given to them.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
So in other words, you're not in favor of other people earning from Youtube. You'd rather they stop making the videos you watch and listen to, than look at ads. Those ads are how Google pays them you know. I'm sure there is also the royalties for people listening to songs, just like how Pandora and other music streaming services work.

Ads are the primary vector that compromises a system, be it a phone, or a desktop computer. More viruses and malware are served as a drive-by via an ad (be it a pre-load on YouTube, or a pop-up ad on a browser) than just about anything else anymore.

By that association, ads are a venereal disease. Further, even as far back as Gingerbread, up to 75% of any given app's rated or measured power draw comes from the vector of how it perpetually will feed ads to end users on such phones. My battery life is already garbage enough on the phone I have now. I don't need the cancer that are these malware ridden ads to have me replacing phones every six months because they burn up the battery that quickly.

Upvote 0
My answer to this is simpler: if somebody is posting material that I can't enjoy because of intrusive ads, then I don't listen to or watch their material.

And yes, I do have an iptables-based ad-blocker. I pay for ad-free versions of apps I use (even though the ads would be blocked anyway, it's a matter of principle that developers shouldn't be expected to work for nothing), but as noted above it means I don't have the problems of drive-by downloads and infected ad scripts that many encounter.

Upvote 0

Seriously, those ads are something that Google(Alphabet) really needs to sort out, and at least get some standards, like ads must be decent, honest and truthful.
ad.jpg

I do usually block internet ads, including YouTube.

Attachments

• google ad.jpg
    google ad.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 117
  • google ad.jpg
    google ad.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones