• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

KitKat & SD cards explained

I would personally prefer to have the sd card as an ext format, & then be able to use the sd card as in JB but with the same security as internal storage.

Not worried about windows not being able to access it as i dual boot my pc with linux, no problems with using the sd card there.

Hate the idea of being told thats not an option as i know it works as i got a customised HTC wildfire s with the card partitioned to give it 2gb of system storage instead of only 150mb.

Upvote 0
My brief experience with KK4.4.2 (after a late night stealth update) has been a total non-event. My SD card usage (data only... using WiFi to transfer to my PC) has been unaffected.

The two nits I've noticed are the all white notification icons and the clear button on the notification shade was moved to the top of the list rather that at the bottom of the persistent list, but on top of the temporary list where it used to be (and where I prefer it to be).

Upvote 0
It appears that they have. I have the camera set to store on the SD card, but everything ends up on the phone.

As do I. But my pictures go to my SD card as desired. Screenshots always go to the device, not the card. I have not found a way to redirect screenshots.

I just took a couple of pics, found them on my SD card, used ES File Explorer and copied them over my WLAN to my PC. No issues at all relative to KK.

66Wb2Nw.png

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if lollipop changed the SD problem?
Also, I recently got a Samsung Galaxy s 4 with 4.3. Jellybean out the box. I can move apps to the external memory card...however, my phone tells me I have a firmware update available.. I'm wondering if it will skip kit Kat and go straight to loading lollipop, since I heard lollipop is now available, though I don't know if my carrier(metropcs) has it yet.
Anyway, I don't want kit Kat because of the memory card problem, and if it doesn't skip kk ,how can I go straight to LP,and does LP allow for apps on the SD card?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones