• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Kyocera Rise/ Public Mobile

FoxFi works without root.. look it up on Google

iam rooted i have both barnical and foxfi /barnical works great for rooted and awsome only thing is i have a couple spare android phones ive tryed connecting with barnical but they searching wifi networks i cant find my rise that i named the network just my home wifi ive tryed sevral times and i can connect my laptop to it just fine and works great but for other android phones nothing so iam guessing that may mean tablets also but maybe someone else has a fix for that

foxfi seems to work great for connecting my android phones that have no service too just fine but if u get a text or a phone call it will messup your wifi connection or ur hotspot on ur other non activated phone so iam guessing same would happen with tablets as well but since it is a non rooted alternative that too me is pretty darn good i wish i knew why i couldnt connect with barnical to my un activated phone but can my laptop --- so pick your poisons guys

also if anyone knows why barnical isnt reconizeing non activated android phones let me know also ty

Upvote 0
Ok Thanks. A person I spoke to here in my town said my phone company may have locked my bootloader. I am unsure what this is but would that make scene as to why this is not working for me.?

The bootloader is not the issue here. The bootloader IS locked however, but that's just hindering our ability to get CWM and custom roms installed on our phone.

Here is what I did:
1) Uninstalled the driver for the phone from the Device Manager
2) Uninstalled the main program for the drivers from "Programs and Features"
3) Ensured the phone didn't reinstall the drivers, showed up as KYOCERA USB Modem
4) Redownloaded the 64bit driver and installed it.
5) Plugged my phone in and the drivers installed fine.

Here is what I recommend:
1) Open up "Programs and Features" from the Control Panel
2) Look for an entry for KYOCERA
3) Reinstall the driver file
4) Plug your phone in, let me know what happens.

If that doesn't work, I'm stumped.

Upvote 0
This post is specifically for my Canadian brother Keypawf. His/Her assessment of the Modem Driver problem was correct as I had the same problem for weeks. Our PM Rise is different from your rise. Yours ends in the model number 55, ours is a 56 and the modem driver does not exist as PM strictly prohibits tethering. I was also able to get that to work. Now let me tell you how I did it.

So I'm no genius, or maybe I am, thats for other people to say. I got lucky by stumbling onto this.

Download PDANet. 3.50 is the version number. Also download the matching client for your PC. You will have to plug in your phone for it to install the proper drivers. I believe I selected the option that says that I don't know what phone I have. Then it will install a USB modem driver. When you are done go into your Device Manager through the System tab in Control Panel (Win 7). Under portable devices it should say "Rise" Look.....no damn yellow error triangle. The USB modem problem is now solved. Use any of the tutorials you find on this site but ignore the modem installation, that part is already done. It worked for me first time and I hope it does for you too. :D

Enjoy Keypawf, I posted this for you but I hope all my other Canadian brothers/sisters are able to use this as well. After everything is done you should find your super user in the app drawer. that is unless you have room on your home screen, then it will be there. CONGRATS, YOU ARE NOW ROOTED.

Also just to piss off Public Mobile, PDANet works as a USB tether. I tried about 35 different apps and this was the only one I found that worked. It didn't work with firefox but maybe i just need to do some tweaking. It worked with Internet Explorer. however on youtube it kept giving errors when i tried to watch a video, again maybe with some tweaking it will work. I did download about 4gigs of planetside 2 over night while i slept. thats not bad for 3G speed.

Thats all I got for now. Cheers!

Reactions: smartmanvartan
Upvote 0
This post is specifically for my Canadian brother Keypawf. His/Her assessment of the Modem Driver problem was correct as I had the same problem for weeks. Our PM Rise is different from your rise. Yours ends in the model number 55, ours is a 56 and the modem driver does not exist as PM strictly prohibits tethering. I was also able to get that to work. Now let me tell you how I did it.

I know that the PM Rise is different. Doesn't mean I wasn't trying to help. The driver that you need to install allows for the adb connections to be made, not specifically for tethering, just so you know. So this driver that 'doesn't exist' obviously exists somewhere. Do you mind sharing this magical driver so that Keypawf doesn't have to go through the trouble of installing PDANet?

Upvote 0
No, I was right, There is no magic driver but installing PDANet works. If I am not mistaken Keypawf wanted to root so he/she could tether in the first place. PDANet is the only proven working app for our Public Mobile Kyocera Rise. I solved the problem and told him/her how to do it as soon as I could. Be happy that your phone was so easy to root.

I am not saying any more on the subject. And if and when Keypawf is able to root his/her phone with my solution I will let him/her speak for themselves as well as anyone else who comes by this forum wanting to root their Public Mobile Kyocera Rise. For all you know I may very well be the very first person to successfully root this phone. I have not heard of anyone else doing it. I solved it! :D

Upvote 0
PSA.jpg

It doesn't matter where you're from, we don't condone rudeness, personal attacks or bickering. Attack issues, not each other.

Posts deleted, lets get this thread back on track please and if you've issues with the above, by all means drop me a PM, my door is open. :D

Upvote 0
No, I was right, There is no magic driver but installing PDANet works. If I am not mistaken Keypawf wanted to root so he/she could tether in the first place. PDANet is the only proven working app for our Public Mobile Kyocera Rise. I solved the problem and told him/her how to do it as soon as I could. Be happy that your phone was so easy to root.

I am not saying any more on the subject. And if and when Keypawf is able to root his/her phone with my solution I will let him/her speak for themselves as well as anyone else who comes by this forum wanting to root their Public Mobile Kyocera Rise. For all you know I may very well be the very first person to successfully root this phone. I have not heard of anyone else doing it. I solved it! :D

So that we can get a lock on what drivers PDANet is using for the PM Rise, Please check the driver file locations in Device Manager. Copy the files that are located at the given locations into a separate folder, zip it and upload it.

Here is a simple walkthrough for anybody who has successfully gotten the PM Rise drivers to install using PDANet:
(Note: These instructions are for Win 7/Vista, but are close enough for other versions to use as well)

- Open up Control Panel
- Open up Device Manager
- Right-click on the entry for the PM Rise
- Select Properties
- Select the Driver Information button
- Select the Drivers tab at the top
- Note the file locations in the box in the middle of the window
- Open up explorer and browse to the file locations noted
- Copy the files into a folder and compress the folder into a .zip file
- Upload the resulting .zip and post the link here

This is much appreciated, and will help bring us one step closer to having full control of our phone.

Upvote 0
PSA.jpg

It doesn't matter where you're from, we don't condone rudeness, personal attacks or bickering. Attack issues, not each other.

Posts deleted, lets get this thread back on track please and if you've issues with the above, by all means drop me a PM, my door is open. :D

My intention in posting was to help the OP. I think I have made my position clear. now I have more info for the OP.

I was messing around with PDANet again this morning an now it is fully working with firefox and youtube and everything. It's pretty fast for 3G. unfortunately getting it to work requires registering. I'm not saying buy the program. If you would like any help just PM me and we can get this sorted. So you will be rooted and have working tethering. You can only USB tether though as PDAnet uses foxfi for wireless and this does not work with our phones as far as I can tell. If I have any updates I will post them.

Upvote 0
So that we can get a lock on what drivers PDANet is using for the PM Rise, Please check the driver file locations in Device Manager. Copy the files that are located at the given locations into a separate folder, zip it and upload it.

Here is a simple walkthrough for anybody who has successfully gotten the PM Rise drivers to install using PDANet:
(Note: These instructions are for Win 7/Vista, but are close enough for other versions to use as well)

- Open up Control Panel
- Open up Device Manager
- Right-click on the entry for the PM Rise
- Select Properties
- Select the Driver Information button
- Select the Drivers tab at the top
- Note the file locations in the box in the middle of the window
- Open up explorer and browse to the file locations noted
- Copy the files into a folder and compress the folder into a .zip file
- Upload the resulting .zip and post the link here

This is much appreciated, and will help bring us one step closer to having full control of our phone.
This will not work. Even if I copied the system files and and DLLs and posted them you still have no way to install them and get them working.

Upvote 0
Oh, well that sucks. I wonder what's different between the two.

They are not even the same model. i have been trying to get barnacle to work. it will load google pages but nothing else. i tried matching the DNS for google (8.8.8.8) on the phone and in the connection properties on my PC with no luck, even tried the turn it off and back on again solution with no luck. i wish i knew what i did that time PDANet worked. This is super frustrating.

Public mobile locked tethering, i thought i would have this figured out by now as i am now rooted and everything. I'll keep trying.

Upvote 0
This will not work. Even if I copied the system files and and DLLs and posted them you still have no way to install them and get them working.

Yes, you can. I would still appreciate the files I've asked for, as I'm sure others would as well. If you choose not to upload these files, at least post what the filenames are. Here is a small article on installing dll files:
Install a .DLL file in Windows

Upvote 0
They are not even the same model.

I see, C5155 vs C5156. I think the hardware is identical, it's just down to software. PM may have had Kyocera make things so much different software wise that it can't be in the same model number as the rest.

Can you pull a system image and post it somewhere? On ours it's /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 you can check yours by typing 'mount' in a terminal. The command to rip a copy would be
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 of=/sdcard/system.img

Upvote 0
Yes, you can. I would still appreciate the files I've asked for, as I'm sure others would as well. If you choose not to upload these files, at least post what the filenames are. Here is a small article on installing dll files:
Install a .DLL file in Windows

so how do i attach a file to a post. By the way, that is wayyyy more work then simply installing PDANet.

Upvote 0
I see, C5155 vs C5156. I think the hardware is identical, it's just down to software. PM may have had Kyocera make things so much different software wise that it can't be in the same model number as the rest.

Can you pull a system image and post it somewhere? On ours it's /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 you can check yours by typing 'mount' in a terminal. The command to rip a copy would be
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 of=/sdcard/system.img

what is this terminal you speak of?ohhh, you want me to install unix/linux on my computer just so you can have a system image of my phone. i'll save you the trouble. the difference beween our phones is not hardware as you said but software.

Upvote 0
Android Terminal Emulator from the Google Play Store. As far as the files go, I'm not sure how to attach either. You can upload them to a site like mediafire.

Don't you think considering the return this is alot of work for me as i am already rooted. it can't be easier than downloading PDANet (5MB aprox) and just installing. I have no accounts to upload to since geocities went under years ago. right now the issue is getting tethering to work. lets work on that.

Upvote 0
what is this terminal you speak of?ohhh, you want me to install unix/linux on my computer just so you can have a system image of my phone. i'll save you the trouble. the difference beween our phones is not hardware as you said but software.

Like you just said as well - software. That's why he wants the system dump. He did not mean terminal on linux. He was referencing the Terminal Emulator you can download from Google Play. I would ask you to please hold the sarcasm as we are honestly trying to figure out the differences between our two phone models.

On a side note: The Hydro, which is our sister phone, has a different phone model (C5170), but is completely compatible with our phone. Yes there are small differences, of which I have personally identified that the graphics driver is a little different on the Hydro.

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
Don't you think considering the return this is alot of work for me as i am already rooted. it can't be easier than downloading PDANet (5MB aprox) and just installing. I have no accounts to upload to since geocities went under years ago. right now the issue is getting tethering to work. lets work on that.

Not everybody - and I will go so far as to say most people - will not want to install PDANet just to get the USB driver. This IS important. If you need an account to upload to, I can help there. Do you have an email account? You can send me/someone an email, and that person who you sent it to can upload it for you.

Tethering has been shown to be very hit and miss across the Hydro/Rise line of phones. The reason for the driver is not only for tethering. It's for ADB access.

Edit:
If you would be willing to upload the files requested, the return would be amazing. You would be giving the community a driver that works for the PM Rise. And nobody would have to install PDANet for the driver, then uninstall PDANet after the driver is installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones