• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Kyocera Rise/ Public Mobile

Like you just said as well - software. That's why he wants the system dump. He did not mean terminal on linux. He was referencing the Terminal Emulator you can download from Google Play. I would ask you to please hold the sarcasm as we are honestly trying to figure out the differences between our two phone models.

On a side note: The Hydro, which is our sister phone, has a different phone model (C5170), but is completely compatible with our phone. Yes there are small differences, of which I have personally identified that the graphics driver is a little different on the Hydro.

Yeah I'm done. if i find a way to tether that works I will post it but you are being crazy demanding I produce all these files for you and upload them to mediafire. I wouldn't dream of asking you to do this. If you want to know the difference why didn't you ask keypawf to do this. or better yet, look it up on the internet.

Upvote 0
Not everybody - and I will go so far as to say most people - will not want to install PDANet just to get the USB driver. This IS important. If you need an account to upload to, I can help there. Do you have an email account? You can send me/someone an email, and that person who you sent it to can upload it for you.

Tethering has been shown to be very hit and miss across the Hydro/Rise line of phones. The reason for the driver is not only for tethering. It's for ADB access.

Edit:
If you would be willing to upload the files requested, the return would be amazing. You would be giving the community a driver that works for the PM Rise. And nobody would have to install PDANet for the driver, then uninstall PDANet after the driver is installed.

I would love to help. pm me your e-mail and i'll send you the files. after that it is up to you.

Upvote 0
I would love to help. pm me your e-mail and i'll send you the files. after that it is up to you.

Yeah I'm done. if i find a way to tether that works I will post it but you are being crazy demanding I produce all these files for you and upload them to mediafire. I wouldn't dream of asking you to do this. If you want to know the difference why didn't you ask keypawf to do this. or better yet, look it up on the internet.

Sending PM Now. I appreciate it. Normally people just upload their files to the forums, but I guess I may have hit my upload limit so it isn't showing on my side. Mediafire is also a common alternative for many people. AFAIK, /system doesn't contain sensitive information.

Upvote 0
pmrisedriver.rar

Uploaded to Mediafire. Tried the whole terminal system img thing and I cannot even read the text it's so small. Any way to fix that?

it says "app_72@android:/ $"

if you want to do the /system dump, thanks.

from where it has the dollar sign ($) type "su" and press enter. This gives you root control. From there, type the command that db2 posted a few posts back.

Upvote 0
Sending PM Now. I appreciate it. Normally people just upload their files to the forums, but I guess I may have hit my upload limit so it isn't showing on my side. Mediafire is also a common alternative for many people. AFAIK, /system doesn't contain sensitive information.

yeah thanks but it was faster to upload myself well i waited. i'll upload the system.img if someone tells me how to do it. i have no idea how to use terminal. font size is fixed now.

Upvote 0
you mean the dd if= one right?

what about the mount part. this is confusing.
Don't worry about the mount part. We'll just go with the assumption that the filesystems are identical, like they are for the Hydro.

Execute this command

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 of=/sdcard/system.img

and you will end up with a file on your sdcard called system.img which will be about ~304 MB in size.

Upvote 0
Don't worry about the mount part. We'll just go with the assumption that the filesystems are identical, like they are for the Hydro.

Execute this command

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 of=/sdcard/system.img

and you will end up with a file on your sdcard called system.img which will be about ~304 MB in size.

I tried the command and some error came up. i'll do it again and try to be specific.

so first i reset terminal so it is blank, i type dd and space as i assume there is a space and the dd disappears and i see a arrow on that line. is this normal?

Upvote 0
Hi, I found this thread after spending days trying to root my phone. I have a Public Mobile Rise as well..... I just wanted to drop a quick note to express my thanks for the steps listed on here. I installed PDAnet and it solved the driver issue. I was able to root it immediately using the zip package that everyone else is. Many many thanks.....

Upvote 0
I just installed PDA Net+ on my Canadian Public Mobile Kyocera Rise, which is the first android phone I have ever owned. I am sending this from my computer with a hardwire tether to my phone. The tether through PDA Net+ is working!!!

I will do some more research before I root it, since this is my first android and I'm sure that there are things I will want to find out about before I root, but I'm sure that (knowing about PDA Net) all will go well when I do.

A big thankyou to both keypawf for authouring the thread, and also to EnzymeX for sharing his genius (or his luck as the case may be, but won't go there...sounds like EnzymeX did a lot of work to try all the different combinations and find one that did work).

Whichever of my neighbours owns the unpassworded wireless signal I have been leeching off of up till now would probably thank you as well if he knew...

;O)

Thankyou to all.

Upvote 0
i got a workaround for you guys with the public mobile rise if you wanna wifi tether... you can use the wifi tether app for root users and once installed, hit the menu button in the app and go to change device profile. then got to samsung epic 4g touch. then go to change setup method and select netd(master)... that will give you infrastructure wifi as opposed to ad-hoc... ad-hoc is not recognized on a lot of devices... also you will have to use a user agent switcher with firefox if you are using windows...

Dizzle came up with this for the boost mobile warp and it works for the rise...

http://androidforums.com/boost-mobi...8-how-infrastructure-tethering-warp-n860.html

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I have the kyocera rise from public mobile, I have tried the root process referred in this post. [GUIDE] Root your Kyocera Rise! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I installed PDANet+ to work together with the root process. I enabled the debug mode on the phone. everything just seems to be fine in terms of rooting...

right now, if i enalbe the USB tethering on my phone, PDANet+ client on my pc shows USB internet is connected. but when I try to browse from my pc, it just don't work. I also tried bluetooth tethering, the bluetooth paring is just fine. when I try the wifi option from the PDANet+ on the phone, the pc will show the wifi is connected with no internet access.

I read PDANet+ website's FAQ, it says if USB tethering shows connected on the PC, but no internet, try to check if my phone has internet access. but my phone has internet throughout the whole process.

I thought i maybe i did not root the phone properly. I installed "root checker" from the play store. the result does show my phone is rooted.

by the way, my phone has model number C5156. Is it just impossible to do the tethering on this model? or I am missing anything?

right now I just run out of idea. Any helps/hints will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

silverblue

Upvote 0
by the way, when the browser failed to access internet, i got following display in my browser. does it mean somehow the "public mobile" version of kyoreca rise blocks sending data out?

Just now I tried other tethering software recommanded by someone in this site. barnacle wifi tethering. I was some point excited. but in the end, i got the same error...

No data received

Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.
Here are some suggestions:

Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I have the kyocera rise from public mobile, I have tried the root process referred in this post. [GUIDE] Root your Kyocera Rise! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I installed PDANet+ to work together with the root process. I enabled the debug mode on the phone. everything just seems to be fine in terms of rooting...

right now, if i enalbe the USB tethering on my phone, PDANet+ client on my pc shows USB internet is connected. but when I try to browse from my pc, it just don't work. I also tried bluetooth tethering, the bluetooth paring is just fine. when I try the wifi option from the PDANet+ on the phone, the pc will show the wifi is connected with no internet access.

I read PDANet+ website's FAQ, it says if USB tethering shows connected on the PC, but no internet, try to check if my phone has internet access. but my phone has internet throughout the whole process.

I thought i maybe i did not root the phone properly. I installed "root checker" from the play store. the result does show my phone is rooted.

by the way, my phone has model number C5156. Is it just impossible to do the tethering on this model? or I am missing anything?

right now I just run out of idea. Any helps/hints will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

silverblue

i got a workaround for you... also you will have to use a user agent switcher with firefox if you are using windows...

User agent switcher is your solution. Chrome and firefox have plugins. Maybe even ie.

r

Upvote 0
Thanks redford for your quick answer.

In fact, I got some progress after playing with the barnacle wifi tethering tool. (I do have enable skip_wap_supplicant option)

On my pc, I have some chatting software like QQ. and some p2p media playing software. They are working with "barnacle wifi tethering" tool! but web browsing is still not working.

To me, this further proves that fact the phone is blocking my web browsing, but not other ports/application

redford: you think the agent switching would work in my case? anyway, I will do some more research...

Thanks,

sliverblue

Upvote 0
Thanks redford for your quick answer.

In fact, I got some progress after playing with the barnacle wifi tethering tool. (I do have enable skip_wap_supplicant option)

On my pc, I have some chatting software like QQ. and some p2p media playing software. They are working with "barnacle wifi tethering" tool! but web browsing is still not working.

To me, this further proves that fact the phone is blocking my web browsing, but not other ports/application

redford: you think the agent switching would work in my case? anyway, I will do some more research...

Thanks,

sliverblue

Yes, find a plugin or extension for your browser.

r

Upvote 0
-radford, after i used the chrome "user agent switcher plugin"(i chose the "android nexus" browser head), everything is just working fine for the web browsing. so this means "public mobile" checks your web browser's user agent string when you do tethering. i guess they only allow few browsers that their mobile supports.

Thanks again for the great help.

silverblue

Upvote 0
Hello all I have a Kyocera Rise with Public Mobile. I am looking for a way to get portable hot spot going to my phone. I guess the feature has been removed from my phone... As far I as have read I need to ROOT the phone which I have tried many things from you tube with no luck. Anyone out here able to help me with this?

Thank You

Hello keypawf I don't know if anyone has been able to help you but have you tryed the new root method no pc I have made my rise lose root 3 or 4 times and sense I updated my phone too that was the only way I have been able to root my rise again an again and even again lol but I would like to know if it can root your guys rise and I can help if needed and ps its somewhere in rise all about root

Upvote 0
-radford, after i used the chrome "user agent switcher plugin"(i chose the "android nexus" browser head), everything is just working fine for the web browsing. so this means "public mobile" checks your web browser's user agent string when you do tethering. i guess they only allow few browsers that their mobile supports.

Thanks again for the great help.

silverblue

Public Mobile actually only blocks the Windows User Agent string. I've usb tethered with many combinations of browsers including safari, firefox, and chromium on Linux Mint and Mac and there is no issue at all.

Why they've only decided to block the Windows agent string is beyond me.

I'd like to thank everyone's participation in this thread. When I have the time, I will try to root my device.

For anyone interested, I'm using EasyTether which does not require root. It is only for usb tethering though. The free version blocks https encrypted sites. You can either buy it, or obtain it from more questionable methods.

Upvote 0
Public Mobile actually only blocks the Windows User Agent string. I've usb tethered with many combinations of browsers including safari, firefox, and chromium on Linux Mint and Mac and there is no issue at all.

Why they've only decided to block the Windows agent string is beyond me.

I'd like to thank everyone's participation in this thread. When I have the time, I will try to root my device.

For anyone interested, I'm using EasyTether which does not require root. It is only for usb tethering though. The free version blocks https encrypted sites. You can either buy it, or obtain it from more questionable methods.

Using PDAnet I've been able to tether via USB on windows, using Chrome, and a browser spoofer. It makes believe to the network that I'm not on Windows' Chrome, you can choose which browser you want to ''emulate'', going nice with Opera, doesn't seem to be blocked by PM. I'm having a hard time making the torrents work on both my PC and my Rise though, but it might be the sucky network, I only get 1-2bars here, sometimes even 0. I haven't been able to tether via WiFi with PDAnet though, but it's not that bad, if anything when tethering I charge my phone instead of using the battery even more than usual.

Upvote 0
does the firmware files exist for this phone for download? thanks

LOL there wasn't even a driver pack available for the C5156... we had to use generic adb drivers... this phone is locked down.. alll you can do is root it and thats that... maybe one day there will be a workaround for the locked bootloader but for now....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones