• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Latest info on SD card Support.

tyneusch

Nov 27, 2009
Midwest
I feel that I am missing something but I placed an SD card in my Xoom today and it does't recognize it. I placed it in when the Xoom was off and when I turned it on and went to the "storage" section of the settings menu, it only shows the internal storage. I have pulled it out while the Xoom was on and there is no hint of an issue...what am I missing?

To the best of my knowledge motorola has NOT enabled the SD card slot yet...it's one of the three things they didn't ship the xoom with....no SD...no 4G....and no flash support. Flash should be coming in three weeks (via an over-the-air update...4G in a couple months (after you mail the device back to them) and as of yet I've seen no word about the SD. There is a slot for it (ifixit.com was nice enough to tare one apart for us) so we can hope it'll just be an over the air update whenever they figure themselves out.

Reactions: Rogerwilkes
Upvote 0
Now, I'm not sure how accurate this is, but when I was picking mine up, I was told it wouldn't be active until the did the 4G upgrade. The VZW rep I was talking to (which should clue you in how likely this is to be true) said that it was on the same piece of hardware as the SIM card, and they just left the whole bit unpowered until they upgrade it.

Upvote 0
The VZW rep I was talking to (which should clue you in how likely this is to be true) said that it was on the same piece of hardware as the SIM card, and they just left the whole bit unpowered until they upgrade it.
I think that's bullshit at least for the WiFi only
[KERNEL][AOSP] Tiamat Xoom 1.4.0 "I got your Moto Update right here!" (Update: 4/24) - xda-developers
At the link given, you find alternative cernel and a script file with insturctions. Each of them should "unlock" the SD card slot.
I did'nt read everything, but I did not find a limitation to WiFi only devices.
Don't install custom roms, hacked cernals, run scripts etc. as long you are not aware of the risks.
(however the one line script given in the thread seems to be straightforward)

Regards
Chilli

Upvote 0
Anyone else figure that this thing is a bit premature? I mean compared to the IPAD 1 even this thing is a bit frustrating...
Hate the fact that I cannot do much in Portrait...
No sd card support etc...
Got a smokin deal on it but still a bit frustrating.
Thats strange. I'm working most of the time in portait even now while I'm writing this text. Could it be, that you are using apps that are not supporting the resolution?
For me it was a difficult decision between iPad and Xoom. I first took a look at the Xoom and then I went to the Apple store. When I discussed with the Apple dealer piece by piece all the things that I hate on my iPhone4 came into my mind. That's why (and because of better hardware) I decided to go for the Xoom and I did not regret it for a minute until now. With 25GB jused on my iPhone (I don't dare to use more because it could screw itself up again at the next SW update) and just a single digit percentage of memory used on the Xoom I probably can wait for Android 3.1 before I need an SD Card inaddition.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones