• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LauncherPro better than Helix and ADW? You be the judge.

LauncherPro better than Helix? You be the judge.

• Yes! LauncherPro FTW!

Votes: 219 84.2%
  • Nah.. Helix is still better.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • Nah.. I use ADW.

Votes: 25 9.6%

• Total voters
I would go even further...either Motorola or Google should hire this guy :p. I mean really, they failed to port an updated launcher to the Droid and this fellow did it with almost seamless effort. Other devs have tried this and failed(clockwork launcher...give my money back!!, even helix to an extent). Yes this does FC every once and awhile but it's so reliable I would say it behaves better on average than the stock launcher. It's definitely faster or as fast. Google may have built the framework but this dev has taken that and made every facet of the presentation customizable.

I have never said this about an app before, but I really hope this Dev either puts up a donate button or charges a reasonable price for his Launcher. This is the fist app that I have ever WANTED to just give the Dev money for (and that includes all of the app I have on my iTouch as well).

Kratos

Upvote 0
I would go even further...either Motorola or Google should hire this guy :p. I mean really, they failed to port an updated launcher to the Droid and this fellow did it with almost seamless effort. Other devs have tried this and failed(clockwork launcher...give my money back!!, even helix to an extent). Yes this does FC every once and awhile but it's so reliable I would say it behaves better on average than the stock launcher. It's definitely faster or as fast. Google may have built the framework but this dev has taken that and made every facet of the presentation customizable.

I agree to a point. Yes, Google does need this Dev to help make things better, but I would worry a little that they may hire him and then push all of his ideas and knowledge under the rug. And if that happens, we will once again lose out on awesome apps and/or products like LauncherPro.

But, one thing is for sure. This Dev knows what he is doing and does it better than anyone else (at least thus far).

Kratos

Upvote 0
What I want is for him to be pulled into the CyanogenMod Koush team...I imagine this dev would be able to contribute a lot of smarts to the CM ROMs built from source.

The launcher is the key app on the phone and can either make it a pleasure to use or a pain...Launcher Pro makes it all ice cream and chocolate sauce.

The dev deserves some sort of Android community award for best app of the year...

Upvote 0
there's another launcher! I haven't tried it because I love LP so much, but its called Zeam and can be found in the market. If anyone ttries it, please post your opinions. I'm sure I'll be playing around with it by the end of the weekend.

Yea, I saw that app on the market as well. I'm hesitant to try it as there are quite a few bad comments on it. That and it only have 4 stars where as LauncherPro has 5 stars.

Some of the comments I've seen are talking about how Zeam doesn't play well with live wallpapers. I LOVE live wallpapers and now that I have them, I don't know if I could go without.

Also, the dock has the app drawer button on the far right and I don't like the look of that. Also, I'm not sure I could get use to having the app drawer button on the far right instead of in the middle.

LauncherPro now had a 3D app drawer that is is just as fast as LauncerPro it's self. This 3D app drawer is faster and more stable than HelixLauncer 2's and (as I've read multiple times) Google's own Nexus One!

Also, LauncherPro has the ability to add a fifth row for apps and widgets on each home screen. You can add a fifth app to each row in the app drawer.

And Finally, LauncherPro is the fastest most stable Launcher I have tried! And I have tried almost all of them (including the infamous HelixLauncher).

So, to make a long post short (not really), I don't think I'm going to even try Zeam. I mean I am extremely happy with LauncherPro and do really see anything special in Zeam that would make me want to delete all of my widgets from LauncherPro just to try Zeam. Maybe if some of those things that everyone is complaining about and that dock get fixed and changed, I might give a small amount of consideration to trying Zeam.

Kratos

Upvote 0
I'm the same way. The only reason many of us switched launchers so often was because we never had the perfect balance of speed/performance/features...but launcherpro has balanced all of that beautifully. There are highly specialized launchers like sweeter home or slidescreen that completely change the UI. But any launchers that are derived from the stock launchers will have a hard time being better than launcherpro, it's faster than stock and has the features of all that have come before it....alot of our search is over :p.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones