• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leak root has been found

Well, I had no luck with my Kingston 2GB card at least. After running the loop batch file, I only got "list of devices attached" with no message about recovery.

I'm going to try it again with a SanDisk 32MB card I just found in my old Nextel. Then I also have a PNY 2GB card that I just found in my wife's old Samsung. If those don't work I may wind up picking up the suggested card today when I go grocery shopping and giving that a try. You can never have too many microSD cards, I guess.

I'm so desperate for root!!

Upvote 0
Went to Walmart this morning, bought the exact nat geo 2GB PNY card, spent the last 5 hours making approx 300+ attempts - NOTHING. I get the scrolling "list of devices attached" with NOTHING else.

I'd love to have root (running V3 leak), but unless it becomes consistently proveable and reproduceable, it ain't happening for most of us I guess.......

Upvote 0
Went to Walmart this morning, bought the exact nat geo 2GB PNY card, spent the last 5 hours making approx 300+ attempts - NOTHING. I get the scrolling "list of devices attached" with NOTHING else.

I'd love to have root (running V3 leak), but unless it becomes consistently proveable and reproduceable, it ain't happening for most of us I guess.......

Out of curiosity, what it the status of your phone after you attempt and fail? Still recoverable/usable?

Upvote 0
where is everyone getting stuck?

i can't get mine into recovery which is step 31 on the xda thread. once i hit the volume up button and remove the card all i get is a red triangle with an exclaimation point and the loop.bat is still running endlessly. i have to pull the battery to get the phone to respond again.

i'm using the same pny 2 gb card too.

doing this on a windows 7 64 system and had no troubles installing the new drivers and had HTC Sync installed.

Upvote 0
The point is to try and get the phone to "hiccup" while booting, reading the sd card, and running adbd all at the same time and confuse it into allowing you to push root from your computer. The sd card just happens to be the catalyst for the hiccup. Hence the crappy pny 2gb card. This is just my interpretation of the instructions and what I've gleaned from what the devs have said, etc. Feel free to correct me lol!
but why not just put the files its looking for on the card? every time i get the symbol and do vol up, it looks to the card. so why not give it what it wants

Upvote 0
where is everyone getting stuck?

i can't get mine into recovery which is step 31 on the xda thread. once i hit the volume up button and remove the card all i get is a red triangle with an exclaimation point and the loop.bat is still running endlessly. i have to pull the battery to get the phone to respond again.

i'm using the same pny 2 gb card too.

doing this on a windows 7 64 system and had no troubles installing the new drivers and had HTC Sync installed.

i guess no one has tried(or even read) my earlier posts yet!

Upvote 0
I got it to work. I now have root! I just had to keep trying to insert the card at the right time to get loop.bat to recognize the phone. Got into clockwork recovery and effed up teh push of files and had to go through the whole process again to load teh files on teh sdcard. So in effect I got this to work twice.

Upvote 0
I got it to work. I now have root! I just had to keep trying to insert the card at the right time to get loop.bat to recognize the phone. Got into clockwork recovery and effed up teh push of files and had to go through the whole process again to load teh files on teh sdcard. So in effect I got this to work twice.

give better steps. i got loop to read mine 10 or more times. i still havent tried my theory cuz im not home yet, but if you got it down, let us know

Upvote 0
give better steps. i got loop to read mine 10 or more times. i still havent tried my theory cuz im not home yet, but if you got it down, let us know

I followed the xda steps to the letter. I just had to keep repeating steps 26 - 31 to get loop.bat to recognize the phone about 10 times.

I would pause loop.bat using control+c, then pull the battery, then start at step 26 again. at step 27 i pushed the sdcard and volume down buttons at the same time to get the card out in time. i would then restart loop.bat by resuming it in the command prompt thats already running. then in step 31 i just keep trying to get the sdcard back in at just the right time for loop.bat to see it. i used the 3 count in the directions then pushed it in.

also in steps 35 i had to try and push the files over a number of tries as it kept failing, 4 or 5 tried until the card allowed the command and the files transfered over.

Upvote 0
I followed the xda steps to the letter. I just had to keep repeating steps 26 - 31 to get loop.bat to recognize the phone about 10 times.

I would pause loop.bat using control+c, then pull the battery, then start at step 26 again. at step 27 i pushed the sdcard and volume down buttons at the same time to get the card out in time. i would then restart loop.bat by resuming it in the command prompt thats already running. then in step 31 i just keep trying to get the sdcard back in at just the right time for loop.bat to see it. i used the 3 count in the directions then pushed it in.

also in steps 35 i had to try and push the files over a number of tries as it kept failing, 4 or 5 tried until the card allowed the command and the files transfered over.

its all about the driver staying loaded. thats why i wonder about timing. how to keep the driver loaded and to not worry about timing. the timing could be a one in a million shot. i counted too. but what i noticed is, is that after a reboot of the phone the driver instantly came back up. i was thinking about that that would be the time to hit vol up..i will try the pause trick if my idea doesnt work though. that makes some sense too. except it took so many tries

Upvote 0
its all about the driver staying loaded. thats why i wonder about timing. how to keep the driver loaded and to not worry about timing. the timing could be a one in a million shot. i counted too. but what i noticed is, is that after a reboot of the phone the driver instantly came back up. i was thinking about that that would be the time to hit vol up..i will try the pause trick if my idea doesnt work though. that makes some sense too. except it took so many tries

i had loop.bat running once when i pulled the battery and replaced it to start over and the phone booted up in to the ruu on its own and loop.bat saw the drivers immediately once the sdcard was mounted by windows. so i knew i had everything installed right and knew what to look for in loop.bat, it also gave me hope for getting it too work and it was just trial and error.

i say it took me 10 tries to get it to work but i probably on did it right 2 times out of the 10 as i kept screwing up steps like forgetting to restart loop.bat or put the sdcard back in.

Upvote 0
i had loop.bat running once when i pulled the battery and replaced it to start over and the phone booted up in to the ruu on its own and loop.bat saw the drivers immediately once the sdcard was mounted by windows. so i knew i had everything installed right and knew what to look for in loop.bat, it also gave me hope for getting it too work and it was just trial and error.

i say it took me 10 tries to get it to work but i probably on did it right 2 times out of the 10 as i kept screwing up steps like forgetting to restart loop.bat or put the sdcard back in.

makes wonder about placing pauses in loop.bat too...i just kept loop running the whole time

Upvote 0
there is one thing im not completely clear on yet since i dont know jack about unix(linux, whatever), is that once you have root i know you have admin rights, but do you need a rom now?

No. You're rooted once you've completed this:

1. Download this file: PB00IMG.zip (md5: 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94)

2. Place PB00IMG.zip onto the root directory of your sdcard.

3. Power down your phone.

4. Hold Volume Down + Power On. This should bring you to a screen saying "HBOOT" and some other stuff. Wait for it to load the image, and it will say Push Activate. Push the trackball button to continue. The process will take around 5-10 minutes. The first time your phone boots up it will take a lot longer than normal.

5. Your phone is now rooted. :)

The ROM comes next. ;)

Reactions: v941726
Upvote 0
No. You're rooted once you've completed this:

1. Download this file: PB00IMG.zip (md5: 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94)

2. Place PB00IMG.zip onto the root directory of your sdcard.

3. Power down your phone.

4. Hold Volume Down + Power On. This should bring you to a screen saying "HBOOT" and some other stuff. Wait for it to load the image, and it will say Push Activate. Push the trackball button to continue. The process will take around 5-10 minutes. The first time your phone boots up it will take a lot longer than normal.

5. Your phone is now rooted. :)

The ROM comes next. ;)

I'm not sure you need to do this.

The instructions on the XDA forum say you have root once you do all their steps and then just go to the tutorials as to how to flash a rom. my phone prompted me for permission to allow superuser and I thought that was all that was need for root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones