• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

digitaljeannie

Mar 26, 2010
This may sound like a stupid question but...

Is there supposed to be LED indicators on this phone? Because I have none. No charging light, no blinking when I get a message. Nothing.

I just want to confirm with other owners that this thing should have or does not have an LED light before I try to exchange it. One would think it should, but then again, maybe Virgin Mobile decided it didn't need one, so thank you for your indulgence in this seemingly idiotic inquiry.

This may sound like a stupid question but...

Is there supposed to be LED indicators on this phone? Because I have none. No charging light, no blinking when I get a message. Nothing.

I just want to confirm with other owners that this thing should have or does not have an LED light before I try to exchange it. One would think it should, but then again, maybe Virgin Mobile decided it didn't need one, so thank you for your indulgence in this seemingly idiotic inquiry.

Nope...not a stupid question at all. The Optimus V doesn't have an LED, the same as other Optimus phones. Here's a thread from the S forum discussing the same thing, and the fact there are apps out that replace some/all of the typical LED functions.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-s/229173-notification-light-optimus.html

And...here's a lengthy thread on the same subject at Android Central, with more specifics as to replacement Apps.

Apps to help replace missing LED's on Optimus phones - Android Forums

Upvote 0
Isn't it hard on the battery to have these kinds of programs running the display constantly?

Well I noticed that NoLED was actually made for the Samsung Galaxy which has an AMOLED screen, so it displays the screen with all black pixels (which don't actually require any power since black on AMOLED screens is actually a pixel turned off) and only displays one or a few pixels for the "LED".

Running something like one of those (if they even work on a regular LCD screen like the Optimus series) would definitely require the whole screen to be on for just a single pixel of color, which will definitely drain the battery more than using an AMOLED screen (how much more I can't say though).

**edit**
I should note that I didn't look further into the other apps on that second link TVCCS posted, just the NoLED

Upvote 0
Been using NoLED and it works like a charm. Only turns on when there is a notification. You can customize blink rate, you can have the notifications end after a certain amount of time if you prefer, You can set up a "sleep" block of time (I set up mine for normal sleep hours). Notifications can be dismissed with the menu button.
It does not run the display constantly unless you have a notification, set it to never dismiss, and you never look at your phone.

Reactions: trippin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones