• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Connect 4G overheat when charging

cjinca,

Unfortunately the person that sold you the phone is clearly clueless. That charging scheme is ridiculous! Ignore that advice. Also, anyone with a clue about Android knows that task killers have not been useful since version 2.1 days. Remove it immediately as it is probably costing you power. Next install Juice Defender with just default settings and you should see a large improvement in battery life. There may actually be a problem with the battery for many of us, but I would wait for some of the experienced users to come up with more information before going in about it.
Thanks so much for the fast responses. Resonding to UKCatFan first as it's the simplest. ;) I will remove Task Killer and get JD now. Trying to let battery run out so I can recharge and get new 'battery usage' report. Right now it shows Navigator has been the biggest drain. Thanks again! cj

Upvote 0
i would suggest turning these things off and only turning them on when you need them:

4g(mobile data)
wifi
GPS satellite
use wireless networks
background data
data sync (this will be turned automatically when you turn off background data)
set your screen brightness to auto.

I have to disagree with some of this and how to do it. If you use Juice Defender then it will turn off 4G while the screen is off without you having to do any interacting with the phone. That is much more convenient to me and probably less intimidating to a new user. You can also leave background data on with it since it only allows apps to connect at certain intervals to sync. I believe the default is 15 mins. Turning it off limits the usefulness of the phone. BTW, I think some apps are still taking advantage of the 1X connection that is still active because I am getting real time notifications on Gmail and Yahoo mail, but other apps like Weather Bug are waiting to update. I also always leave GPS on so that I can use apps like Lookout to find my phone should it go missing. I suggest setting the brightness to your preferred setting because again, you do not want to limit the usefulness of the phone. Mine is set at over 50% and it typically uses less than 10% of the battery.

Upvote 0
OK, thus far I've removed the TK and downloaded JD and enabled it. I just received a notice that I have 8 available updates. I went ahead and performed the Flash update because I know that on laptop, it's vulverable to malware/virus whatever stuff. Now I don't know how to get back to download update notification for other apps on notice. I will probably need to start a new thread for this but if anyone can quickly tell me how to get back to that screen, I'd sure appreciate it. Also, how do you 'move forward'? I use the back loopy arrow icon to go back but don't know how to return to a more recent page.

Upvote 0
OK, thus far I've removed the TK and downloaded JD and enabled it. I just received a notice that I have 8 available updates. I went ahead and performed the Flash update because I know that on laptop, it's vulverable to malware/virus whatever stuff. Now I don't know how to get back to download update notification for other apps on notice. I will probably need to start a new thread for this but if anyone can quickly tell me how to get back to that screen, I'd sure appreciate it. Also, how do you 'move forward'? I use the back loopy arrow icon to go back but don't know how to return to a more recent page.

On way to get back to an app you recently had open is to long hold the home button.

To get to the updates available, go to the Market (Play Store), click the options button, and select "My Apps". There you will see what you have installed and what needs updates.

Reactions: cjinca
Upvote 0
I have to disagree with some of this and how to do it. If you use Juice Defender then it will turn off 4G while the screen is off without you having to do any interacting with the phone. That is much more convenient to me and probably less intimidating to a new user. You can also leave background data on with it since it only allows apps to connect at certain intervals to sync. I believe the default is 15 mins. Turning it off limits the usefulness of the phone. BTW, I think some apps are still taking advantage of the 1X connection that is still active because I am getting real time notifications on Gmail and Yahoo mail, but other apps like Weather Bug are waiting to update. I also always leave GPS on so that I can use apps like Lookout to find my phone should it go missing. I suggest setting the brightness to your preferred setting because again, you do not want to limit the usefulness of the phone. Mine is set at over 50% and it typically uses less than 10% of the battery.
with brightness on auto my battery is using 7% and its never too dim to see.

i get email updates when i go to my mail with background data turned off. you just have to be connected to the internet. you do need it for the market though, but again, this can be toggled on and off without going through the menu with widgetsoid. the weather widget i dont use so i wouldnt know if it needs background data or not.

i actually downloaded juicedefender and it didnt seem to have any settings where the 4g of wifi would turn on when i opened the browser and off when i closed the browser. i think you only get that type of customization when you get the paid version. i'll have to look at the free version again.

UPDATE:yeah i just took a look at the free version and you have to pay for ultimate to have that type of customization. widgetsoid is free and allows me to toggle everything with one click.

Reactions: cjinca
Upvote 0
with brightness on auto my battery is using 7% and its never too dim to see.

i get email updates when i go to my mail with background data turned off. you just have to be connected to the internet. you do need it for the market though, but again, this can be toggled on and off without going through the menu with widgetsoid. the weather widget i dont use so i wouldnt know if it needs background data or not.

i actually downloaded juicedefender and it didnt seem to have any settings where the 4g of wifi would turn on when i opened the browser and off when i closed the browser. i think you only get that type of customization when you get the paid version. i'll have to look at the free version again.

If you are a gamer, I can see not wanting data on while the screen is on, but given my use I never have the screen on and want data off.

Upvote 0
The other downloads are in the market (Google play). Forward is in the soft menu button next to home. Only present when using browser.

My LG connect goes to sleep when streaming. And sometimes when a video ends. It gets very hot and I guess it is saving itself from overheating. I would suspect streaming is as taxing as gaming. Maybe more so. Anyone else having this problem? Is it overheating? Watching a hockey game (2 1/2 hrs) I must be careful. I shut it down now between periods. I just love having the NYR's live in my pocket. It's so cool. Even though the phone gets so hot.

Upvote 0
On way to get back to an app you recently had open is to long hold the home button.

To get to the updates available, go to the Market (Play Store), click the options button, and select "My Apps". There you will see what you have installed and what needs updates.

Handy 'long hold on home button' tip. Thanks!

Edit: DISREGARD the rest of this post. Google Play now recognizes me as logged in.
On laptop, I can easily find Google Play, open it and see all the apps I downloaded under 'my android apps. I can duplicate that on phone by typing in the same web address (signed into gmail). Still having trouble with Game Play icon on phone's home screen, when I try to open any tab under Categories. Says I need authentication and be signed into gmail, but I am already signed into gmail.

I've written details about confusion on between apps on home screen, vs. apps under applications tab on phone but I realize this is way off topic for this thread. If I can't figure it out, I may write new thread.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. So green...argh.

Upvote 0
setting up juicedefender ultimate or widgetsoid is gonna be a bit intimidating for new users, especially for this particular person.

they're both good solutions. only difference is you have to pay for one.
Indeed, I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible with tweaks but it's hard knowing that there is so much more available. ;) There are comments in the 'all things root' which are helpful but I have to ignore most of what I read. For now. Like a tadpole swimming with bull frogs - or sharks.

Upvote 0
Everyone drain your battery until the phone dies, then when you plug it back in the capacitive buttons will flicker, this means that it's balancing the cells of battery then after that the battery over heating should stop. this is due to the manufacturing of the phones charging the phones at 5000mv, with this method, the phone will be rebalanced, and end up at 4500mv which is around where it should be at full charge.

and this isn't due to the charger, I've used a 5v iphone charger, my 5v usb computer, and the included LG 4.7v charger and they all work fine now. also juice defender, other battery saving apps causes this overheating for me. to really save battery root, remove bloatware install set CPU set the scaling to "on demand" and set the max to 756mhz, this gave me 3 more hours of life from my phone with all my apps including shadowgun and GTA III running at full speed on highest settings.
Hoping the first part of your post helps. I did it yesterday and will do it again today.

Upvote 0
I just spoke with someone and told them about the problems, and that I've gathered with a group of people who have the same problems. I told him the only choices given to us are to return phones at our expense and that this wasn't right and I wanted to break that cycle. I will talk to a supervisor during business hours tomorrow. So we'll see what I can do, but I'm working my way up the ladder. If you talk to them please be polite because people just shut you out and don't listen when people get testy.

It will greatly help me if you can send in your temperature screen shots. The fastest way to get the phone to heat up is playing a 3d game, then letting it run on battery for like 1/2 hour. I'm interested in shots >40C/104F so when I talk to them I can show them proof that it's a problem for more than just myself.

If you have dead space, set your phone to display shut off @ 30 mins, start the game, get killed by a few monsters (like 2 or 3), leave it at the red screen that says retry/continue. I used 'cool tool' to show the temp like my screenshot. Do this on battery as using it plugged in makes it run cooler because the battery isn't doing all the work. I used screenshot ER to take the screenshot.

I got 107 F with normal scrolling through settings, ( i don't play the games).116 F on internet. I have juice defender, Removed 16 bloat app's and froze 14 apps. I just installed cool tool today to see temp. I know the phone gets hotter when it's on charger.It don't stay charged very long at all....

Attachments

• screen_20120331_1559.png
    screen_20120331_1559.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 76
  • screen_20120331_1715.png
    screen_20120331_1715.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 0
I got 107 F with normal scrolling through settings, ( i don't play the games).116 F on internet. I have juice defender, Removed 16 bloat app's and froze 14 apps. I just installed cool tool today to see temp. I know the phone gets hotter when it's on charger.It don't stay charged very long at all....

Hey Kelley, will you clarify - you are rooted, correct? I'm too new to smartphones in general to safely root and maintain phone. From what I understand, I can't touch bloatware w/o rooting. But can I 'freeze' apps?

Upvote 0
It does not get as hot but it still runs hot. I compared with the esteem and esteem was a 98 and my connect was 105.8 and going. so to answer your ? Yes it does help to get a heavier battery and or new one sorry for the wrong post before
That's with the new while charging the pic with 116 while not out don't go over 105. Sorry for not classifying what battery i was usin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones