1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support LG G2 Battery drain

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Powerlimes, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Powerlimes

Powerlimes Newbie
    None

Jan 5, 2014
    So I just got my LG G2 on Telus (LG-D803) for Christmas. Its amazing! I love almost everything about it (coming from a Galaxy Ace IIx :thumbdown: ) The only problem I have with it is battery drain. At 50 percent brightness and only wifi on, it wastes alot of battery! I got this phone for the enormous battery and I'm pretty dissapointed.

Any tips or tricks?

P.s I have the stock rom (unrooted)

[Edit]
    Also, does anyone else have the phone get hot during regular usage? Browsing internet, playing doodle jump etc.

Advertisement

2. Calc

Calc Member
    None

How fast is it being drained? The usual suspect for that kind of stuff are widgets or app services that work in the background, are you over using those?

Powerlimes likes this.
  3. Powerlimes

Powerlimes Newbie
    None

Jan 5, 2014
    I am so careful with widgets. I only use the default weather widget and 1 clock. As for app services, ill give them a check.

4. emilioaponte

emilioaponte Member
    None

Oct 3, 2012
    The G2 got the better battery life in Android devices. Try out a full reset on your phone, and see what happens. If drain persist, go to Telus and get a good battery G2 device.

Powerlimes likes this.
  5. Powerlimes

Powerlimes Newbie
    None

Jan 5, 2014
    Okay. Im going to do a full reset soon. Thanks.

6. emilioaponte

emilioaponte Member
    None

Oct 3, 2012
    You're welcome Sir.

7. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    You could boot into safe mode & troubleshoot w/o a reset.

To enter safe mode, proceed to shut down/turn-off your phone as you normally would, except, long-press on the POWER OFF option (1st option).

This will bring up a pop-up window asking if you'd like to boot into safe mode.

Once re-booted, what this does is disables all downloaded apps, until you open/use each downloaded app.

This may take longer to find the culprit, but, could also save the aggravation of setting up your phone again.

To escape safe mode, simply re-boot your phone.

Of course, if your phone continues to drain in safe mode (before enabling your downloaded apps) a reset is in order.

I'd run safe mode w/o enabling any downloaded apps for the 1st charge/discharge cycle to determine if further troubleshooting is necessary w/o a reset.

Powerlimes likes this.
  8. Powerlimes

Powerlimes Newbie
    None

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I was going to do a reset soon anyway.

9. Powerlimes

Powerlimes Newbie
    None

Jan 5, 2014
    So I did a reset, and everything seems to be fine. X2 thanks!

10. razvan06

razvan06 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    ...who ?
    Bucharest
    I might also suggest [since i tried this and it works] when charging, [better to have phone turned off] leave phone connected to charger another 15-20min after that 100% notification.

Why am i doing this?
    I noticed that the batt will last more than if i leave it until it reaches 100% and unplug it instantly.

I think that the following happens : from what i experimented w/ Android, it takes a while [2-3 0-100% charging cycles] to calibrate the "%" meter and if you also connect phone to PC/Laptop via USB it will corrupt the calibration even more [from 2% to 7%] meaning that when you will see 7% or 3% batt left it may die on the spot instead of running another 10-30min.

This way [leaving it plugged for more time] i make sure to charge that sucker 100% for sure, w/o damaging the battery.

Try it, it works for me !

stef7 and Powerlimes like this.
  11. Powerlimes

Powerlimes Newbie
    None

Jan 5, 2014
    I leave it off when i charge it. I think a problem is that I charge it when I sleep, and it overcharges before I wake up.

12. Misleadb4

Misleadb4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Ft. Myers, Fl
    This is after update on vzw, with 7 1/2 hours on screen time

Attached Files:

13. Whiskeypawz

Whiskeypawz Android Enthusiast
    None

May 20, 2010
    I just got a G2 & I'm streaming today for the first time. Not even half way through the movie my battery is extremely hot & quit charging bec of it. If I pause the movie it cools down. This is definitely going to be a problem if it's the norm since streaming drains the battery pretty fast. Does wireless charging help with this??

14. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    The longest video I've streamed is 30 minutes & I had no problems w/heat.

Regarding wireless charging (while streaming,I presume) would most likely aggravate the heat build-up issue.
    I'd check the data/WI-FI connectivity strength/compare/troubleshoot that first & perhaps close any other unnecessary heavy system resource apps while streaming.(I've found the latter definitely helps, w/wireless charging &/or streaming).

Whiskeypawz likes this.
  15. Whiskeypawz

Whiskeypawz Android Enthusiast
    None

May 20, 2010
    I discovered that streaming isn't the problem, Miracast is. I can stream without Miracast without any problems. But as soon as I turn Miracast on the phone starts to heat up. I think I'll do some further research to find out if this is just a problem with my phone or a general problem.

KOLIO likes this.
  16. JMBUFFI

JMBUFFI Member
    None

Oct 30, 2013
    Chicago
    I am starting to see more battery drain even when not using my G2. If I look into battery use, the most is from Google Play service. Looking into that it shows keep awake as the biggest user. Any way to limit? I have always had location services turned on even when battery drain was not a problem.

17. JMBUFFI

JMBUFFI Member
    None

Oct 30, 2013
    Chicago
    I have my G2 in safe mode. How do I start to enable some apps to try to figure out what is draining my battery?

18. JMBUFFI

JMBUFFI Member
    None

Oct 30, 2013
    Chicago
    Can someone recommend a good battery app that will help identify what is using the most resources? I know it is a third party app as I put my phone in safe mode and hardly used the battery.

19. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert
    None

Better battery stats or System Panel paid or stock Battery in Settings.

20. JMBUFFI

JMBUFFI Member
    None

Oct 30, 2013
    Chicago
    Thanks. Used Clean Master on the phone yesterday and today off the charger for 10 hours and still have 83% battery remaining.

21. abdulwahab93

abdulwahab93 Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2014
    I bought G2 yesterday and read amazing reviews about its battery life.... My phone has been off the charger for 2 hrs and 11 mins and screen time is 45 mins .... I have been using just BBM and whatsapp. Its down to 90% right now ..... I wasnt expecting it to go down to 90% since ive read on forums people go on for 2 days with moderate usage

22. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    1) The battery's not conditioned yet. Give it 3 full charge and discharge cycles before deciding anything.

2) "Moderate usage" includes the screen not being on almost constantly, since the screen is a big battery hog.

23. abdulwahab93

abdulwahab93 Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2014
    sorry but what do you exactly mean by full charge and discharge cycle ? charge it fully and use it until the battery reaches 0 and turns off ?

24. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2014
    Male
    Systems Administrator
    Wappingers Falls, NY
    BBM is your issue. On Android it's not actually using push technology, which means it hurts battery life significantly, running in the foreground and consuming not only CPU but also keeping an active TCP connection going, and your cellular radio too.

25. carlos505

carlos505 Lurker
    None

Feb 26, 2014
    I have had my lg g2 for exactly one week. And I love it. Before the 4.4 update I noticed my battery to be better. My battery was fully charged today at 7 and is now at 45% at 3:50 pm. Is this good battery life? I haven't let my phone completely die only the first day I got it. To fully charge after that. Could that be my problem? Should I let the battery completely die? Or have I already ruined it for not giving it full life/death battery cycles?

Thanks

LG G2

The LG G2 has a 5.2-inch display with 1080p resolution. It also has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor, 2GB of RAM, a 13 megapixel camera, NFC, and more.
Tags: