• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G6 - Fastboot boot loader error - unknown command

NinoJaguar

Lurker
May 21, 2020
Hi,

I was trying to get the 'device id' to unlock the boot loader on LG G6 (h872g) with the fastboot command (fastboot oem device-id) however I keep on getting the "remote : unknown command" error.
"Fastboot devices" works and it shows my device being on a fastboot mode however non of the other fastboot commands works. I tried everything I possibly could including factory reset but i keep on getting the same error.
Any solutions of this problem anyone knows?
Is anyone else having the same issues?

Just to let you know, the "USB debugging" is on.

Appreciate the help.

Nino.

Reactions: Cody Davis
Hi,

i have uploaded the screenshot.

And yes the OEM unlocking in the developer setting has been enabled as well.
I tried multiple times restoring to the factory settings as well but its the same thing - kinda frustrating because it should generally work i thought.

Thanks.

Attachments

• lg fastboot error.jpg
    lg fastboot error.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 639
Upvote 0
Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
oh thats tragic.
Is it then possible to install h870 on mine which is European verson?
I tried it with LGUP downloading h870 rom file however it said invalid file. do you think there might be any possibility for that?
Or in general do you think there might be any other way to install custom recovery and custom rom on this model then?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
oh thats tragic.
Is it then possible to install h870 on mine which is European verson?
I tried it with LGUP downloading h870 rom file however it said invalid file. do you think there might be any possibility for that?
Or in general do you think there might be any other way to install custom recovery and custom rom on this model then?

Thanks.

Unlocking the bootloader is the easy part. You just type 'fastboot oem unlock' and that's it. The complicated part is flashing a custom recovery because apparently the version of fastboot that comes on the T-Mobile G6 doesn't support the 'fastboot flash ______ _______' command. Installing a custom recovery involves flashing the laf partition (download mode) from the h918 then booting fwul Linux from a USB stick and running a script that flashes your recovery to the laf partition, which finally allows you to root, flash roms, and install your custom recovery to the recovery partition. I got as far as unlocking the bootloader and flashing the laf partition from the h918 but the second step that requires using fwul Linux to install the recovery didn't work, for reasons which I don't yet understand. The phone still works fine but for the time being I've lost the ability to use download mode to flash a stock kdz firmware.

Upvote 0
Unlocking the bootloader is the easy part. You just type 'fastboot oem unlock' and that's it. The complicated part is flashing a custom recovery because apparently the version of fastboot that comes on the T-Mobile G6 doesn't support the 'fastboot flash ______ _______' command. Installing a custom recovery involves flashing the laf partition (download mode) from the h918 then booting fwul Linux from a USB stick and running a script that flashes your recovery to the laf partition, which finally allows you to root, flash roms, and install your custom recovery to the recovery partition. I got as far as unlocking the bootloader and flashing the laf partition from the h918 but the second step that requires using fwul Linux to install the recovery didn't work, for reasons which I don't yet understand. The phone still works fine but for the time being I've lost the ability to use download mode to flash a stock kdz firmware.
Hey there, Masterchief87, were you ever able to figure this out? I have been trying to update mine and I got to the same point you did. Hate to bump an old thread, but this is the last lead I have found to root this thing / install twrp

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones