• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG Nexus 5X took a swim

ilyabyk83

Oct 25, 2010
Hi all. Many stupid stuff has happened in my life.. @19 I suffer a ruptured brain aneurysm followed by a stroke...blahhh blahhh.........:)

Yeah, I am a live miracle. But my phone still decided to go for a swim inside my toilette bowl...none of the less of where people drown their phones I think...

What should my next step be?? I already placed a new order of the same but what to do about getting ANYTHING off this device now?

When I connect it with the charger, the battery icon lights up on this whole screen, and goes off coming back on after few seconds.

Lost forever huh??

Thanks folks

Last edited:
Depends on what damage was done.

Turn it off if you possibly can. Stick it in a sealed bag or jar of dessicant (uncooked rice or cous cous will work) and leave it for a few days. You want to dry it as much as possible before turning it on again.

When you do turn it on, what happens next depends on (a) what does or doesn't work, and (b) what is already enabled. Anything you've backed up to the cloud is fine: you can just download that back to the new phone. If you can see the screen and the touchscreen works then you have plenty of options. If you can't see the screen but the touchscreen works then you can use a MHL adapter to connect it to a display via HDMI. If the touchscreen doesn't work then you can use a USB OTG adapter and a keyboard or mouse to control the phone. If neither works then it's trickier, since you only have 1 USB socket (so if you use a keyboard or mouse you can't see what you are doing). In this case if you can pair it with a bluetooth keyboard or mouse then you are in business (view via MHL, control via bluetooth). If it will mount as an MTP device you can copy data to a computer. If USB debugging is enabled (or you can enable it) then you can start apps or copy data using ADB, or even try an ADB backup. If you have a custom recovery then you can use ADB in recovery mode...

That's not an exhaustive list, just ideas off the top of my head. It really does depend on what still works and what does not. I recently retrieved data from a phone that lost both display and touchscreen in similar circumstances, had a PIN lock set, did not have ADB enabled, was set to "charge only" when connected to a computer and was not paired to any BT input devices, and (of course!) did not have any app data or even contacts backed up to the cloud. But if the USB port had died as well, or if the phone wouldn't boot into Android, I would have been stuck.

If you look in the FAQs section (at the bottom of the forum) you'll find a thread about dealing with phones that have got wet there.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Depends on what damage was done.

Turn it off if you possibly can. Stick it in a sealed bag or jar of dessicant (uncooked rice or cous cous will work) and leave it for a few days. You want to dry it as much as possible before turning it on again.

When you do turn it on, what happens next depends on (a) what does or doesn't work, and (b) what is already enabled. Anything you've backed up to the cloud is fine: you can just download that back to the new phone. If you can see the screen and the touchscreen works then you have plenty of options. If you can't see the screen but the touchscreen works then you can use a MHL adapter to connect it to a display via HDMI. If the touchscreen doesn't work then you can use a USB OTG adapter and a keyboard or mouse to control the phone. If neither works then it's trickier, since you only have 1 USB socket (so if you use a keyboard or mouse you can't see what you are doing). In this case if you can pair it with a bluetooth keyboard or mouse then you are in business (view via MHL, control via bluetooth). If it will mount as an MTP device you can copy data to a computer. If USB debugging is enabled (or you can enable it) then you can start apps or copy data using ADB, or even try an ADB backup. If you have a custom recovery then you can use ADB in recovery mode...

That's not an exhaustive list, just ideas off the top of my head. It really does depend on what still works and what does not. I recently retrieved data from a phone that lost both display and touchscreen in similar circumstances, had a PIN lock set, did not have ADB enabled, was set to "charge only" when connected to a computer and was not paired to any BT input devices, and (of course!) did not have any app data or even contacts backed up to the cloud. But if the USB port had died as well, or if the phone wouldn't boot into Android, I would have been stuck.

If you look in the FAQs section (at the bottom of the forum) you'll find a thread about dealing with phones that have got wet there.

Good luck!
Too late...... I already tried powering it back on :-(
Connect to the charger: the battery icon lights up and flicks off. And keeps going in loops.

Rice - what exactly to get??

But that FAQ is very nice. Thanx man

Upvote 0
Just ordinary white rice you find at any supermarket or grocery store will do.

Although Nexus 5x is sealed battery, might be too late now, as the most important thing to do with any electronics that gets wet, is to disconnect the power immediately, i.e. pull the battery out.
Thought this later when I first saw a post about it, but was too late already...

Now when connected to the charger: the battery icon comes on, flick off, comes back on as "charging", stays on for a second or two, and the process starts all over...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones