• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG Tribute Stock ZV5 Deodexed & Unmodified [4.4.2]

SuperR

Android Expert
Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2010
Invisible
DISCLAIMER: By using this rom, you agree that you are the only one responsible for anything good or bad that may occur. Use at your own risk.;)

For LG Tribute only.

Unmodified Stock ZV5 KitKat 4.4.2.
e2nas_stock_ZV5.zip UNTESTED

Deodexed, Debloated, Rooted Stock ZV5 KitKat 4.4.2
e2nas_stock_ZV5_deodexed_v2.zip
/system/app/Books.apk
/system/app/CloudPrint.apk
/system/app/GoogleDrive.apk
/system/app/Hangouts.apk
/system/app/Magazines.apk
/system/app/PlayGames.apk
/system/app/PlusOne.apk
/system/app/SPR_Skyfire_Observer.apk
/system/app/SPR_Skyfire_Toolbar.apk
/system/app/Swype.apk
/system/app/talkback.apk
/system/app/Videos.apk
/system/app/YouTube.apk
/system/lib/libSwypeCore.so
/system/priv-app/LGEmail.apk
/system/priv-app/SprintID.apk
/system/priv-app/Sprint_Installer.apk
/system/priv-app/Zone-Sprint.apk

Download:
NOT_FLASHABLE_ZV5_removed_files.zip

NOTE1: Your device must have a custom recovery to flash ROMs.

NOTE2: This zip is unsigned so you may need to disable signature verification in recovery before flashing.

Flash in custom recovery as follows:
  1. Download ROM
  2. Put the ROM.zip on your sdcard if not already
  3. Reboot to Recovery
  4. MAKE A BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Wipe data/Factoy reset
  6. Install ROM from sdcard
  7. Reboot
  8. Enjoy!

Other Downloads/Links:
SuperSU - Flash this after the unmodified ROM to get root
e2nas_stock_ZV5_recovery.zip - Flash this after the unmodified rom to get ready for OTA updates.

Thanks to:
@modhatter6811 - for uploading ZV5 backup and ZV5 recovery.img
@hydroman202 - for testing

Last edited:
It looks like the backup I have from this device is missing a few things. If anyone wants to help out and upload the following missing files we can have a full unmodified stock rom.

/system/app/GoogleDrive.apk
/system/app/Hangouts.apk
/system/app/Magazines.apk
/system/app/Music2.apk
/system/app/PlayGames.apk
/system/app/SPR_Skyfire_Toolbar.apk

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time to make this! Much appreciated! I was actually tying to figure out a way to go back to stock. thanks to you, i don't have to. (I tried to flash this, but i got a binary update error).
Could you try flashing it again and send me the recovery log after? You can send the log to your sdcard from the advanced menu in twrp.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I think I found the problem. Any chance you have and could upload the files I mentioned above? I need to upload a new rom anyway and it would be nice if it was complete.
Im sorry but i removed the above files from my rom, to increase performance. If you want, i can find them online for you. (Actually, i think i may have them, let me check) I have a backup i forgot about.

Upvote 0
If you have a backup from this device I would like to have the files. They must be from the original stock rom otherwise if an update comes you will fail asserts and not be able to update.
This is the link where there is a stock nandroid backup. I am sure you already know this, but to extract it, all you have to do is change the system partition from .win to .tar. of course you need winrar. Hope this helps!

https://mega.co.nz/#!d9tyVJKI!GEkyzYqsFxrhPkcCS1TRoSYaPJhQX8at2kGLd0Ooe2s

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Good News. The rom flashed successfully and it appears to work. I managed to activate service on it. For anyone else testing it, it does appear to hang at first, but it just takes a while to boot the first time around. Great Job!
Thanks for testing. Now I just need the rest of the stock files to make a completely unmodified stock rom. Hopefully someone around here has not deleted them :)

Upvote 0
What's up! Glad your taking on this project. Seems like we're at a standstill over at XDA. I'm downloading the OP link right now.

My question is what all can I take out of this, I stripped out a lot already, to get as close to Vanilla as possible? (I will have replacements for needed components, I just want as much "crap" removed as possible).

Also has anyone tried anything with the kernel source from LG? Can it be worked?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What's up! Glad your taking on this project. Seems like we're at a standstill over at XDA. I'm downloading the OP link right now.

My question is what all can I take out of this to get as close to Vanilla as possible? (I will have replacements for needed components, I just want as much "crap" removed as possible).

Also has anyone tried anything with the kernel source from LG? Can it be worked?
whatever you do, after flashing this deodexed rom, don't try to install the update. it will brick your phone. I know because that is what happened to me.

Upvote 0
whatever you do, after flashing this deodexed rom, don't try to install the update. it will brick your phone. I know because that is what happened to me.
I did not know there was an update to this device. If someone updates and grabs a backup I am happy to make new roms for you.

Updates will never work with deodexed roms. They won't even work with incomplete roms which is why I am trying to get the missing files :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones