• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG UK Won't fix my scratched sapphire glass lens

VincentAnoid

Android Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2012
So purchased the UK version of the G2 because of the support and warranty features promised with it. Originally paying slightly more through Amazon and getting less memory, 16GB oppose to 32GB. This was around September last year.

During January this year I noticed scratches on the rear camera lens so contacted LG support via email first. Explained the problem to them and even attached a macro close up image of the lens scratched, they stated the obvious claiming I would need a repair and then asked for my location details so they could create a 'file' for me. Once this was created, their following email told me that this repair would not be covered under warranty due to being "cosmetic damage" or "accidental damage".

So I exclaimed to them that their product videos clearly claim the rear camera lens is made out of "Sapphire Crystal". This means it should only be scratchable by diamond or another substance higher than 9moh. So how did it get scratched? They replied stating Sapphire Crystal is only scratch resistant not scratch proof, I thought that was irrelevant, nothing in the world can be claimed to be fully scratch proof and never said it was in the first place, additionally an answer to my question was never given.

I replied infuriated saying their product promises are superficial, being the same aspect if I bought a waterproof Sony phone and dropped it into the water with ports sealed and I was denied a repair due to "accidental damage". The lens should have never scratched anyway since I keep a case on the phone which prevents the camera from touching a flat surface. Plus the 5.2" screen is immaculate with my careful use of a screen protector. So it's not like I neglect my phones. I never received an email back from that address but was transferred to the customers escalations team.

They said:
Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your reply regarding the G2.

Whilst we do attempt to make the most durable products on the market, the camera is not, in fact, made from sapphire crystal. It is made from Gorilla Glass, which although strong, is not entirely scratch proof.

Where is it, out of curiosity, that you were told that it was sapphire crystal?

Kind regards
Pete
LG Electronics UK Help desk

I'm astonished, they don't even know their own product specifications. I promptly replied to the email giving three distinct sources;
  1. YouTube -
  2. LG.com "Capture crisp, detailed, high-quality images with the LG G2’s 13-megapixel camera, featuring scratch-resistant sapphire crystal glass to help protect the lens and provide clear photos and videos for years to come. This uncompromising camera employs two-axis optical image stabilization and multi-point auto-focus to help produce stunning still pictures and Full HD 1080p videos."
  3. The Verge - http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/19/4749116/lg-g2-review
15 days later there was no reply although I received an automated confirmation email that they received it, so I decided to call them. I was told by the advisor he couldn't find any emails response from myself, only the outward email by Pete. He told me to send it again and he'd make sure it gets received this time with a 24 hour response time. So I did, and again there was no response (within 24 hours). I phoned them once more explaining the problem and they finally decided to check their inboxes for anything received by my email address. This guy checked my sources and even watched part of the YouTube video (at 2 minute, 30sec), he was unsure so he told me he'd contact the marketing department and try to get back to me by the same day. He didn't call back the same day, but the day after. Their final response was that the lens is indeed made by Sapphire Glass however this is only scratch resistant and not scratch proof, so it would incur a repair charge. I refuted saying that the device hasn't been in contact with any diamonds so, how? The guy told me it doesn't necessarily have to be diamonds, just watch the YouTube videos.

LG aftersales service for you guys. I'm sure if it was Apple I would be treated much better, it's the only area of Apple I truly favour, a standing ovation to them. I won't be buying another LG product, should have stayed with Samsung. My GNEX which has no Sapphire Crystal lens does not have any scratches on it at all. A smart move from LG if I'm being honest, you save up on the aftersales/repair costs and in return unhappy customers create bad PR for you. Damaging that brand equity you spent millions to make and maintain. ;)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones