• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lights of keyboard

Aldro

Nov 20, 2010
Thanks to this forum, I learned that the keyboard backlight doesn't light up in daylight. But if you move it somewhere dark or at night, it does lit up. Very nifty. :)

Nonetheless, I think that my KB backlight doesn't always work when it's supposed to. I'm not sure if this is an actual error in my phone or that it has something to do with certain applications, since I've noticed that it doesn't always light up (even at night) when I'm chatting via WhatsApp.

Anyone else have experience with this?

ETA: My phone's not rooted and the brightness of the screen is set on automatic, in case that's relevant.

I have the same problem - a totally erratic backlight. I would like some way of keeping the backlight on whenever the keyboard is out. When the backlight is off I find it virtually impossible to distinguish the keys, even in decent light. I don't understand how any mobile designer could think that thin, dark grey letters on black buttons would have enough contrast for good visibility/usability... The original HTC qwerty model from way back (S710/E650) had a much better keyboard - chunky black letters on pale silver buttons

Upvote 0
There a light sensor on the phone. When you hold it in landscape mode with the keyboard open, it is just to the left of the bottom left of the screen. This light sensor detects if it is bright or dark enough for the backlight to turn off or on. There does not appear to be a way to calibrate this sensor to make the back light turn on in brighter or dimmer conditions. In medium light conditions, you may want the back light on, but it isn't. In these cases, you could cover up the light sensor to cause the back light to turn on.

If this does not work, then it could be a problem with the sensor.

I would like to be able to calibrate when the back light turns on and to calibrate the auto brightness on the phone. I personally find the auto brightness setting causes the screen to be too bright in medium light (indoor) conditions. It seems too sensitive for my preference and causes the screen to be too bright and keyboard back light to not turn on when I want it to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones