• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Limit mobile data usage?

banderberg

Lurker
Mar 16, 2011
I wonder if it's possible to use Tasker to shut off mobile data if I use some predetermined amount of data in a day?

I have a 2GB per month plan, which is about 66 MB per day. I'd like to tell Tasker to turn off Mobile data for the day once my usage gets to 66 MB. At midnight it can turn mobile data back on.

Is this possible?

I have some features built into Tasker to help manage my Mobile data usage.

I turn on Mobile data using a widget.
The widget changes from grey (glossy silver ipack) to red (orange ipack) to remind me it's on.
Every 15 minutes when data is on, I get a reminder.
** When my display goes off and stays off for 30 seconds, data gets turned off. This is simple feature to avoid leaving it on.

Once per day (11AM), Tasker sends an sms message to AT&T asking how much data I have. Tasker takes the response and uses it to update my Data widget label (so it always shows my data usage as of the last 11AM).

I also have 3G Watchdog widget which keeps track of usage in between but is not 100% accurate. Every once in awhile if my Tasker data widget shows more than 3G watchdog, I manually update the counters to make them match. 3G watchdog also puts an icon into the notification area when Data is active... that's another handy reminder. Could also be done with Tasker but 3G Watchdog does fine.

Upvote 0
How do you get the sms into Tasker?
I have a profile that goes active when received text matches a certain string:
*Data (MB)*

The profile calls a task which examines the contents of the Text message which is stored in %SMSRB

Since the message always has the same format, I can use split command to extract the MB number from the message.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones