• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Link All" in 2.1 Contacts (People)?

lessit

Jan 12, 2010
Yup, I'm on 2.1 and noticed that there is a little link icon next to a persons name in the People app. When you press it you have the opportunity to link that contact to a Facebook friend OR you can link to All. What is the All link for?

My experience with that feature was BAD. I have a large database of contacts imported from Outlook, as well as a group from Gmail. When I updated to 2.1, it linked any similar accounts (which I dont want to happen). So when I'd go to text it would ask me which one I wanted. I send large text groups out, so I'd have to answer this over 30 times for each group text...not fun.

To fix it, I had to manually unlink each contact and things then functioned well.

Some of the links it made even made no sense, completely unrelated contacts. Not a good feature that google even acknowledged on their developer site was over-aggressive and they were "looking into it".

my .02...

Upvote 0
I believe all is used if you have multiple contact accounts. say a gmail account, exhange server account, contacts that are just stored on your phone, ect. ( I have a school email account xxx@odu.edu; they do not allow contacts to be synced b/c they have not "enabled" this feature).

Say I had someone who I worked with from my exchange server, who also was in my gmail account, and went to the same school as I did, I could have all there info show up as one contact card in my peoples app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones