• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

linux connecting smoothly

leftystrat

Dec 14, 2009
leftystrat.blogspot.com
The Galaxy does NOT like linux, not that anyone should be surprised. What did surprise me was that there were even errors connecting to Windows. In any case, the following url nailed the process:

Connecting Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to Linux

Apparently the system does not `see' the device as a storage device, instead requiring MTP to do the transfers. This is not native to linux but can be installed. Seems like a Microsoft licensing issue forces mtp.

Using Xubuntu 12.04 I followed the directions up to installing gmtp (it was in the repositories) and it works flawlessly. Should be fine for all Ubuntus, as well as the distros listed in the article.

Good luck.

Reactions: KegHead
The Galaxy does NOT like linux, not that anyone should be surprised. What did surprise me was that there were even errors connecting to Windows. In any case, the following url nailed the process:

Connecting Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to Linux

Apparently the system does not `see' the device as a storage device, instead requiring MTP to do the transfers. This is not native to linux but can be installed. Seems like a Microsoft licensing issue forces mtp.

Using Xubuntu 12.04 I followed the directions up to installing gmtp (it was in the repositories) and it works flawlessly. Should be fine for all Ubuntus, as well as the distros listed in the article.

Good luck.

Hi!

Thanks for this!

It works perfectly w/Xubuntu 12.10

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones