• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

List your biggest complaints about Thunderbolt

No use repeating what's been mentioned already... I came from the Samsung Captivate last week. So (knock on wood) I don't have major complaints. GPS actually works on the TB. HTC Sense is better than Samsung's TouchWiz. Lots more useful widgets standard.

Biggest complaint so far is the convoluted method involved in rooting. Perhaps someone over at XDA will develop a "One-Click" method to root and unroot the phone like was available for the Captivate - maybe not.

I don't have the time, or patience (or fortitude) to follow the manual method.

Upvote 0
1. Light seepage. Wouldn't expect this kind of craftsmanship for a phone that retails for over $500. Are they literally slapping these things together? Seems like it. Quality control what's that? HTC says.

2. Screen Scratches to easy. Gorilla Glass or whatever the screen is still overly sensitive to getting scratches compared to other brands like Samsung. Gorilla make the glass on the tbolt, but it's not equal to whatever grade they are using for Samsung. Yes I know no glass is scratch proof. I don't think an empty pocket should scratch the screen however.

3. Alarms, Phone Calls, Alot of time don't notify me with ya know with a RING? or Sound even when they are turned on and turned all the way up.

4. Buttons for the Volume on side and the top power on and off button have problems. The Volume up is fine, but when I do volume down it's kind of hard. The power button acts like it's going to get stuck any day now. It's not very good.

5. Gets hot. Many Thunderbolts get really hot 119 degrees or more. That's to hot. I understand it might get warm it's a high end device, but so hot it shuts itself down often for many People. Not acceptable. Some use the excuse it's a 4G LTE device it's going to get very warm. Does the Charge or Revolution? doubtful. Something getting so hot it shuts itself down isn't acceptable, no excuse for it. Some say at least the phone is smart enough to shut itself down that's a good feature. It is, but it's not good when the phone needs to use that feature all the time. It should never have to use that feature and if it does use it once or twice here and there fine. I'm sure every other company has the same safety feature, you just wouldn't know it because they don't overheat.

6 Risky software updates. Ya know what I'm saying to all the Reboots many users are complaining about.

7. Reliability Sucks. Ya know what I'm saying to those who are on their 2nd or 6th phone? How long this phone been out now? 5 months? that's pitiful. Reliability isn't HTC's strong points, maybe that works in conjunction with their quality control. Ya think maybe they use cheap parts inside as well? along with not testing the damn thing?

8. Lack of innovation and design. And Lack of thought, nice spot to put the micro USB port. The same side you need the kickstand when the phone is on it's side. Some say it's fine use the kickstand with phone upwards. I'd rather watch things in widescreen what the kickstand was intended for. Yes upward position works, but wasn't intended that way. The side is the way you get the full experience. Just can't have it plugged in same time. One guy said he uses his on edge of table and it works. Well good for you.......I still stay lack of innovation and design, and lack of thought. HTC ummmmm DUH.

9. The People who defend this phone. They try to stretch the truth about this phone like a lawyer in a murder case. The only difference is you don't convince me. To do whatever to make this phone look good and take any kind of flaw about it and turn it around. Sounds like People who love Apple. Please don't act like those Apple Followers. brainwashed zombies. The phone is a piece and to defend and fight for it all I can say is SHAME ON YOU. People expect quality for the hard earned money they spend on things. Someone might read your fake thread and actually buy this phone who don't know better and again SHAME ON YOU.

10. GPS doesn't LOCK PERIOD. I need to buy a GARMIN from wal-mart. Sad just plain sad excuse for a phone. HTC YOU LOSE

Upvote 0
-Power Button recesses
-Build quality was overrated
-Poor battery life galore
-Light leaking on capacitive buttons
-Glass screen is flimsy
-Glass screen is a lot more prone to scratches than other phones
-Kickstand chips
-Volume Up/Down buttons are flimsy and mushy
-Gets super hot when used
-Software is not as smooth

Upvote 0
I bought the phone for 4G. It only functions properly with 4G turned off. The latest update did fix the reboot issue. But the data connection only works periodically without manually shutting down 4G. And I'm not talking about changing it to CDMA only through the settings menu. I would still lose 3G connectivity. I've changed the modem settings through the ##778 menu. Data doesn't fall off now, but it's not 4G.

What I'm upset about is that the Verizon employees recommended this phone all the while knowing of this terrible issue. I easily would have gone with something else had I known I wouldn't be able to use the one thing that separated this phone from others. I'm extremely disappointed in HTC and Verizon.

Upvote 0
The iPhone was KILLING me. My email sig was "Sent from my iPhone. Might as well. Not like I can use it to make calls."

A week or so into the Thunderbolt experience, I'm nuts about it...but I'm reminded that there was a small handful of stuff I liked.

1) Visual voicemail. I've figured out how to do something that's a little bit cooler with Google Voice...but it wasn't as easy as it should have been. Why isn't this built into the phone? I should be able to sign in with my Google ID, press a few buttons and be done.

2) Screenshots. Really? I have to be connected to the computer? And download a bunch of stuff first? I'd be delighted to have someone tell me I'm wrong, but wow.

3) The homescreen redraw can lag when I'm rotating the phone, and sometimes when I unlock. Not a biggie, but very, very obvious, and occasionally really annoying.

4) It's kind of nice to be able to set different home and lock screens with a click or two....

.....annnnnnd, that's about it. Otherwise, I don't miss my iPhone at all.

Specific annoyances:

1) I have to wrestle with the power button to turn it on.

2) Volume for the phone is independent of the volume for the media. I found the Mute app to at least turn it all on and off, but is there an app that ties these functions together?

That really is about all I can think of at the moment.

In the category of mileage varying, once I started using Quick Settings to toggle Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi and Mobile Data when I actually need them, my battery life has skyrocketed. It's now quite close indeed to what I was getting on my iPhone -- it's been nearly 24 full hours since I charged, under fairly typical use.

Since this is a thread about complaints, I'll stop there with the happy talk. But I really am very, very happy with it.

Upvote 0
I have had my share of issues with this phone, With that being said we all pretty much bought this phone knowing it was the first 4g phone and problems would be expected. I give props to HTC and Verizon for getting all of the bugs worked out. The one remaining issue I have is that my GPS will not lock in and this has me pissed off. I got lost yesterday because the darned thing wouldnt work. this has been a issue since day 1 for me!

Upvote 0
I don't see the what the big to-do is about the battery life in the HTC Thunderbolt. The battery switches out extremely easily and extra batteries can be obtained for a mere $3.00 on Ebay. Even though my battery normally lasts the entire day, if it ever does not, I can quickly and easily change it in a matter of seconds. The only real annoyance is waiting for it to boot back up again (which isn't very long either). Also, if you look you can find a wall charger that the battery alone fits right into and also comes with three batteries for less than $15 on Ebay.

Upvote 0
Hey, there, TB Peeps. I love this phone. I bought one for my wife and son as well. I bought all kinds of accessories that I have spent more than the phone costs. The free apps of family locator is awesome when looking for my wife or kid. Wish there was an app that would let me find my wife in the warehouse stores (Costco, Sams, ect.).

OK, here's my issue:

When I enter a number into contacts, if it is not my home area code, it adds a 1 to the beginning of it. When I try to call the number, I get a network error.

I cannot find anywhere how to remedy this. Can anyone help?

Upvote 0
I'm sure battery life is an issue for many people, also no skype video chat. Is there anything else you don't like about this phone? I'm on the fence on this phone right now, and wanted to hear out people's complaints on this phone before i pull the trigger.

My biggest complaint is that data connectivity is lousy. Also antenna signal is horrendous. The phone doesn't pick up emails very easily unless I take it out of sleep mode and then a slew come in. At work, my phone barely gets reception unlike Droid X that had barely any issues of the above mentioned. It's gonna be a lonngggg two years.

Upvote 0
My biggest complaint with the Thunderbolt is that it never even came close to living up to all the hype that surrounded it when the phone launched back in March of 2011. To say that this phone is not your dream phone but the one after that is a freakn joke. Month after month was one problem on top of a new found problem and with each minor update came 3 more issues with this phone. I thought there was still some hope left for all us Thunderbolt owners when I heard that we would be receiving an OTA update to the yummy Ice Cream Sandwich. I found out about the upcoming update in March and have heard so many rumors about the release date and its the middle of July and still no word yet. Now they are saying it will be out in July or August. I love how we the consumers who if it were not for us HTC would not be a leading company in the cell phone market, can't even give us solid information. I am soooo happy that the GS3 is coming to Verizon on the 10th because I am so ready to retire this piece of crap Thunderbolt. I will never own another HTC product ever again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones