• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Locations- a selling point of the DHD or not?

Haikuguy

Oct 24, 2010
Hi

I need a GPS device for driving but decided to wait til I get the DHD.

Having pre-loaded maps and a GPS app on a mobile cell that does not depend on having a signal seemed to totally make sense.

But, now I've read some posts here and I'm not convinced anymore.

Can the DHD truly replace a GPS device for driving or walking (without paying anything for an extra "premium" version of anything..)
or is "Locations" just a static map that shows your locations on it (which is not that bad, but I don't think can replace a navigation device for a car)?

So far the pre-cached maps arent brilliant for me, though Google maps works wonders, very accurate (with signal ofc) and tbh the yearly subscription or life time for copilot etc is worth it if you want a decent map system anyway (I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure CoPilot has pre-cached maps), its still cheaper than buying a dedicated GPS and once you have it, works just as well..

So to answer your question (well sort of).. in my experience the Locations service hasn't worked brilliantly, maybe others will tell otherwise, but Google maps/navigation is very good. If I were driving alot then I'd defiantly invest in CoPilot, but atm dont travel enough to justify it..

Sorry I know thats a little convoluted heh..

Upvote 0
The DHD truly can replace a GPS device for driving or walking.
But only with a REAL navigation apps like Navigon or CoPilot, both with pre-loaded maps.

Sort of come to that conclusion from trying what's on the phone and reading around, plus what I'd like.

I have Navigon on my DHD and CoPilot on my Desire.

Which do you prefer? I'm leaning towards getting co-pilot as, again from reading around, it seems better for the UK. Plus you can add speed cameras etc.

Ta

Dave

Upvote 0
... Which do you prefer? I'm leaning towards getting co-pilot as, again from reading around, it seems better for the UK. Plus you can add speed cameras etc.

Ta

Dave

It's hard to say :)

CoPilot I use for over half a year and am very happy with it.
Navigon has the more beautiful view on the large display of the DHD.
Navigon I have only one week. The initial navigation experience is good so far. So I tend to Navigon :)

Have look on their site ...
NAVIGON MobileNavigator Android | NAVIGON. And the world is yours

Harry

Reactions: dvhttn
Upvote 0
so what you guys are saying is that no, "locations" is NOT worth buying the DHD for.

since those navigation apps are available for every android phone, right?
Well the massive screen helps alot for navigation, the phone is powerful and large enough to replace a GPS, I'd still recommend the DHD for purposes of a GPS over other android phones!

Upvote 0
It's hard to say :)

CoPilot I use for over half a year and am very happy with it.
Navigon has the more beautiful view on the large display of the DHD.
Navigon I have only one week. The initial navigation experience is good so far. So I tend to Navigon :)

Have look on their site ...
NAVIGON MobileNavigator Android | NAVIGON. And the world is yours

Harry

One more question. It *appears* from my reading (no experience of the apps) that Navigon needs a data feed in real time whereas Copilot doesn't. Is that right?

Ta

Dave

Upvote 0
One more question. It *appears* from my reading (no experience of the apps) that Navigon needs a data feed in real time whereas Copilot doesn't. Is that right?

Ta

Dave

No, only the Navigon trial version needs an internet connection with every start.
The purchased version definitely doesn't.

For "Live Services" both apps needs an internet connection.
But you need "Live Services" not essential for navigation :)

Harry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones