• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Locked down Android vs iOS

nope. its seemed like for a day or two that it could be cracked at anytime but then the devs hit an impasse and declared the method they were attempted dead. the only "solution" available and i dont know that anyone is actually working on it is the milestone 2nd boot process but they can't get the radio to work with that, so basically it wont just turn your phone into a pda.

wow.. that sucks to no end!!!!

which phones are affected?

Upvote 0
honestly, im an android fan.. in my hose there have been two G1s and two N1s and two tables might be coming home by the end of the year, weve been using android phones for two years... and so far i have not seen a single reason why i need root, and i dont see why a regular mortal should need access to root or required root... need a different keyboard? you can do that without root access, need to chance the home screen appearance? you can do that without root access, need to change icons? you can do that without root access, and many other cool things.. so yeah it would be cool if the hardcore people could get access to root easily, and i agree that manufactures shouldnt put locking chips in the devices, but i dont think we should talk about this like if it was problem for the general consumer

the other day i was listening to an engadget podcast, and they were saying that almost all android users were rooting, and they thought that was wrong, that a user shouldnt need to root a device in order to get a good experience from a device... and i dont think thats the case with android.. and even if android offers the best experience out of the door, people would still root their phones, but not for necessity... anyways, i think they have this impression of android because we, the android community, generalize when we talk about android, and sometimes give the wrong impression

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Me as a APPLE and Droid user, I find both very useful. Locking up devices is not something I'm a fan of, which is why I follow the jailbreaking scene. I recently got a new Droid X and it is a amazing phone. One problem I have is the bloatware they added with the phone that can't be removed.. Like Blockbuster... Aren't they bankrupt? And other crap I'll never use or open on my Droid.

So in conclusion, I'm really hoping Android's platform doesn't go where iOS is currently at. It bugs me that I can't customize my phone the way I want it. I mean wtf is the point to but i in iOS?? Apple is going to eventually lose customers once other platforms exceed what they have done.

Upvote 0
honestly, im an android fan.. in my hose there have been two G1s and two N1s and two tables might be coming home by the end of the year, weve been using android phones for two years... and so far i have not seen a single reason why i need root, and i dont see why a regular mortal should need access to root or required root... need a different keyboard? you can do that without root access, need to chance the home screen appearance? you can do that without root access, need to change icons? you can do that without root access, and many other cool things.. so yeah it would be cool if the hardcore people could get access to root easily, and i agree that manufactures shouldnt put locking chips in the devices, but i dont think we should talk about this like if it was problem for the general consumer

Not to hate, but there is a lot you can't do without root. Free wireless/wired tethering? Requires root. Changing the theme of your device? Requires root. Backing up your apps? Semi requires root. Custom ROM? Requires root. OCing? Requires root. These are things that the power users do all the time. I'd be lost without my root.

Upvote 0
like most things I own... put money in...
i want what it has to offer.. I dont want to be limited by what other thinks is enough.

if you buy a Porsche.. from a dealer.. but the maker puts a govenor to limit the speed to 125mph. is that ok with you?
or
you can buy same car in Canada with out the govenor and can go as fast as it was designed?
even though in the USA the speed limit is 75mph!!!!
(fictional example)

Upvote 0
Not to hate, but there is a lot you can't do without root. Free wireless/wired tethering? Requires root. Changing the theme of your device? Requires root. Backing up your apps? Semi requires root. Custom ROM? Requires root. OCing? Requires root. These are things that the power users do all the time. I'd be lost without my root.

no problem .. but... tethering is posible without root ;)... and you can get any home replacement app and modify the home screen.. like adding a dock changing icons, hiding the notification bar, atc. and there are many themes for this home replacement apps.. but yeah i agree that there are many thing you cant do without root, but for the average consumer, i see no need for the root access:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones