• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lollipop release. Massive update!!!

ironass

Extreme Android User
Aug 17, 2010
Cotswolds, England
Samsung has just released its 4th Lollipop update in 3 months to the U.K. non carrier branded, SM-G900F, model. Build OD3, 9th April, comes with a whopping changelist #4664691 which contains improvements and enhancements to the Lollipop firmware, including Smart Unlock with voice.

This comes hot on the heels of the last build a month ago, of OC7 on changelist #4469118 which Samsung are now rolling out to their unbranded and lightly carrier branded models, worldwide.

Past improvements have brought a whole host of fixes, such as the Mute toggle, Screen pinning, Alarm notifiacation in silent mode, Wi-Fi and signal improvements, camera fixes, fully charged notification removed, as well as performance and battery enhancements.

Whilst Samsung do not post actual detailed changelogs, they excel at releasing improvements and bugfix updates continually. Obviously, it is easier for them to issue these updates to the carrier free, worldwide, models, where they do not have to wait for carriers to add their branding and bloatware.

To give you an idea of how this latest update compares to other firmwares, here are the changelist #'s for the U.S. and Canadian carrier branded, minority variants...

Sprint model G900P build OD3 = changelist #4631307 (This is not the same OD3 build mentioned above)

C-Spire model G900R7 build OC2 = changelist #4538308

AT&T model G900A build OC4 = changelist #4432708

U.S. Cellular model G900R4 build OC1 = changelist #4385544

Bluegrass Cellular etc: model G900R6 build OB3 = changelist #4173671

Canada (all models G900W8) build OC1 = changelist #4100894

T-Mobile (USA only) model G900T build OB1 = changelist #4033351

Verizon model G900V builds OA8 & OC4 = changelist #3846539
(Verizon did not elect to go for a later build with OC4 but merely fixed the very old, (Nov/Dec 2014), original, build!)

(N.B. The carrier changelists above, include their bloatware. The actual Samsung changelist # they are based on will be much lower)

So, you can see, depending on which carrier you are with and which build they have chosen, your Lollipop firmware could be very out-of-date.

For more information about your model of Galaxy S5, see, 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, which starts with the sentence...

"Think that everyone's Samsung Galaxy S5 is the same as yours...

Think again!" ;)

(Amended post to reflect latest Sprint & C-Spire updates)

Last edited:
and of course, good ole Verizon, dragging the proverbial anchor forever.

Not even Methuselah was that bad.

To be honest AZgl1500, all those U.S and Canadian firmwares are pretty much obsolete now.

Verizon missed a trick and did not bother to update their very, very, old Lollipop firmware for their second release. They just patched and fixed their old, original, Lollipop firmware and hoped that their customers would just be glad that it now worked for a change! Even AT&T's firmware release is close to the old OB7, changelist #4209230, February build, as it takes both Verizon and AT&T so long to add all their modifications and bloatware. As per #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide...

"Whilst the carriers receive all the, "bugfix", updates from Samsung as other models, it is up to these individual carriers whether to spend the, not inconsiderable, time and money on incorporating all their modifications and releasing them. Consequently, these tend to receive far fewer, "bugfix", updates than most other models."

You only have to look at today's posting in S5 Lollipop (Android 5) latest releases to see that Samsung are pushing out the much higher OC7 build to their international phones, at a high rate of knots... to get the latest firmware enhancements, features and performance improvements, to their worldwide customers. As per #1.3 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide...

"So called, "bugfix", updates for these unbranded models is therefore very easy for Samsung to release and can be as often as every 4-8 weeks. Because there is the option of unbranded firmware models, carriers tend to try and keep abreast of the updates sent to them by Samsung."

Reactions: volimte21
Upvote 0
Hot on the heels of the high changelist release for the unbranded U.K. model in the previous post, comes a similar high changelist release, #4619134, for the octa core, non 4G/LTE model, SM-G900H, for...

UUB = Argentina

Check both OTA, (Over The Air), and via Samsung's PC suite, Kies, for updates.

For more information about CSC codes, see #1.8 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

See, also...
S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide
Galaxy S5, Fake Clone or Genuine - Dummies Guide
GPS fix S5 - Dummies Guide

Upvote 0
I thought that the OC7 firmware was blooming good. This is so much better. It's hard to explain just how fast, slick and responsive this latest firmware is. Been running it for over 4 days now and my battery life has never been better. With a changelist as high as that shown in post #1, I thought it would add improvements but this exceeds even my expectations. Samsung seem to have pulled out all the stops on this OD3 release.

I wrote, here, that...

"There can be no doubt that one area that Samsung excel at is their policy of continual improvement and updates to their firmwares."

I stand by that statement. It took them 3 months and 4 Lollipop releases to arrive at this point and I have no doubt that they will continue development.

Upvote 0
Sorry AZgl1500 but it is, AFAIK, not possible to do a straight flash of the international G900F firmware to the Verizon model, G900V. The modem firmware would be incompatible, for one thing.

I cannot believe that Verizon did not go for a newer build when they released their bugfix update. As you can see from post #1, Verizon's firmware changelist is based in the Dark Ages, still.

Upvote 0
Only 10 days after the initial release and it looks like Samsung have started to roll out the OD3 firmware, mentioned in post #1, to the international, SM-G900F, models, with a release for the lightly carrier branded phone for Croatia on the carrier, TELE2. See post #129 of S5 Lollipop (Android 5) latest releases. With its very high changelist number, OD3, offers a myriad of fixes and enhancements to Lollipop, most noticeably for battery saving, performance, Wi-Fi and camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks as though South Korea, home of Samsung, is loving the new OD3 Lollipop firmware release with its features and enhancements, as there have been updates to all their own carrier branded S5 phone models, G900K, (KT Corp: ), and G900L, (LG Uplus), G900S, (SK Telecom), to this build.

For more details of your model of phone, see 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Samsung are really beginning to push out the amazing OD3 firmware mentioned in post #1.

OXX = Croatia (TELE2)

VFG = Croatia (Vipnet)

VFR = Italy (Vodafone)

OXX = Macedonia

OXX = Unknown (product code SIO)

HTS = Sweden (Tre)

DRE = Austria (3)

HUI = Italy (H3G)

PHN = Netherlands

DBT = Germany

NEE = Nordic Countries

MOT = Slovenia (Mobitel)

OXX = Bosnia Herzegovina

OXX = South East Europe

VVT = Bulgaria (VVT)

For more information about CSC codes and your firmware, see, 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry AZgl1500 but it is, AFAIK, not possible to do a straight flash of the international G900F firmware to the Verizon model, G900V. The modem firmware would be incompatible, for one thing.

I cannot believe that Verizon did not go for a newer build when they released their bugfix update. As you can see from post #1, Verizon's firmware changelist is based in the Dark Ages, still.

Been a month now since the above post Ironass, and I keep hoping that Mother Goose will drop us a brand new egg with 5.3 or something like that in it.

My phone still bitches at me about a corrupted, incomplete download of VZW's 5.0
I just ignore it and go on with life.... if the download ever gets started again, I will just pull the battery, and do a FDR and move on.... that will put me back to a clean 4.4.4 version again..... and I will continue to avoid WiFi like the plague.... so far, I have not even begun to approach using up the 3 gB plan we have now. Never view videos or anything that live streams.

Upvote 0
Samsung continue to push out more OD3 releases with 33 in the past month.

More OD3 releases, see post #1, for the international, worldwide, model G900F on CSC codes...

OXX = Serbia (VIP SRB)

OXX = Slovakia

OXX = France

OXX = Serbia

OXX = Hungary

For more information about CSC codes and your firmware, see, 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Last edited:
Upvote 0
More OD3 releases, see post #1, for the international, worldwide, model G900F on CSC codes...

H3G = United Kingdom (Three)

YOG = Spain (Yoigo)

EUR = Greece

LUX = Luxembourg

OXX = Serbia (Telenor)

TPH = Portugal (TPH)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yay just got OD3 on my UK Three S5. Cache wiped, lets see how it rocks ;)

Congratulations bIOforger!

So far, only positive feedback from worldwide users on OD3. If you have the time, or inclination, you could do an FDR. Maybe, see how it goes with the cache wipe you've already done, first.

Ironass how come they don't just roll out 5.1.1 etc or is that only specifically for tablets?

The process of adapting the stock Android release to integrate with TouchWiz and the the S5 hardware is quite lengthy and complicated. What Samsung then tend to do, is release one trial firmware, as they did with Poland on Lollipop, and see how it flies in the real world. This happened twice before they settled on the NL9 release rollout. Also, if there are any features from a later Android release, that can be integrated into the existing firmware, they do so. Android 5.1.1 has been released on the Nexus phones and is a small bugfix update to Android 5.1 that Samsung are working on.

Upvote 0
There can now be no doubt that the new Lollipop release, changelist #4664691, is the best available and both Samsung and carriers are rushing to get this on as many worldwide phones as quickly as possible! :)

More releases based on the OD3 firmware changelist, see post #1, for the international, worldwide, model G900F on CSC codes...

VFG = Czech Republic (Vodafone)

VFG = Greece (Vodafone)

TNG = Unknown

VFG = Slovenia (Si.mobil)

AUT = Switzerland

VFG = Cyprus (Vodafone)

VFG = Albania (Vodafone)

VFG = Ireland (Vodafone)

VFG = Switzerland (Swisscom)

VGF = France (Vodafone)

VFG = Hungary (Vodafone)

VFG = Bulgaria (MTL)

VFG = Portugal (Vodafone)

PLS = Poland (Plus)

IDE = Poland (Orange)

ORO = Romania (Orange)

Check both OTA, (Over The Air), and via Samsung's PC suite, Kies, for updates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones