1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Looking for a calendar app

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ianpwilliams, Jan 2, 2015.

1. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams Newbie
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    For a while now I've been using both an iPod Touch and an Android phone, but now I that have a new Android phone I want to ditch the iPod Touch and use the phone for everything, which means that I need a calendar app for my Android phone. I have some requirements for my calendar, and unfortunately all the ones I have looked at so far seem to miss on one or two of them. My requirements are:

A day view, with lines for the times throuhout the day, so that I can move appointments around
    Drag and drop for appointments
    Customizable repeating appointments
    The option to move/delete either a single instance or all instances of a repeating appointment
    The option to customize the default length and notification time of new appointments
    The ability to export/backup the calendar (it would use the Google calendar though, so presumably I could back up my calendar online or whatever if need be)

So I downloaded various calendar apps, but none of them seem to cover everything:

Business Calender (paid and upgraded) - No slots in day view, so not able to drag and drop appointments. I can go into week view and expand it to one day, which does have slots, but there is no option to drag and drop

Calendar / UpTo / Sunrise - No custom default event length

Google Calendar - No custom default notification time

Cal - just plain weird

aCalendar (paid and upgraded) - Can't move delete a single instance of a repeating event, only "this and future instances" or "all insances". Drop and drop doesn't work, even though it is supposed to in the paid version

Touch Calendar - terrible

So far the closest ones are Business Calendar and aCalendar, but the aCalendar issue of not moving/deleting a single instance of a repeating appointment is a real necessity for me (I'm really surprised that it doesn't have that option).

Does anyone have any tips on getting Business Calendar or aCalendar working for me? Or if not then can anyone recommend any calendars that do everything I want?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Business Calendar 2 (new version, same dev) lets me drag events forward/backward within the day and week views (day view now has slots). Press and hold the appointment, then you can drag.

Just checked: this is one of the paid features (in-app upgrade). But it doesn't cost much, and if you have the original paid version installed then you can use the paid features of Business Calendar 2 for free.

#2 Hadron, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  3. funpig

funpig Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    Calengoo. Does everything you listed. Great support by developer.

Clementine_3 likes this.
  4. oleb84

oleb84 Android Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2011
    Male
    London
    Does Calengoo have month view widget?

5. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    UK
    +1 for Business Calendar2. I used the original version (free and paid) for years & now enjoying the new ui. Best android calendar available IMHO.

6. bertles86

bertles86 Newbie
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    Just to mention that Google Calendar does have custom default notification times. See screenshot below.

[​IMG]

7. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams Newbie
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    OK thanks, looks like BC2 is the way to go for me then.

8. funpig

funpig Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2010

Oh, yeah. Calengoo has about 20 or 30 different widgets. Several month views, daily, weekly, agenda etc. etc.. There are so many widgets that they actually clutter your widgets list. There is a setting where you can remove the extra calengoo widgets from the widgets list.

EarlyMon likes this.