• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for a calendar app

ianpwilliams

Sep 14, 2011
For a while now I've been using both an iPod Touch and an Android phone, but now I that have a new Android phone I want to ditch the iPod Touch and use the phone for everything, which means that I need a calendar app for my Android phone. I have some requirements for my calendar, and unfortunately all the ones I have looked at so far seem to miss on one or two of them. My requirements are:

A day view, with lines for the times throuhout the day, so that I can move appointments around
Drag and drop for appointments
Customizable repeating appointments
The option to move/delete either a single instance or all instances of a repeating appointment
The option to customize the default length and notification time of new appointments
The ability to export/backup the calendar (it would use the Google calendar though, so presumably I could back up my calendar online or whatever if need be)

So I downloaded various calendar apps, but none of them seem to cover everything:

Business Calender (paid and upgraded) - No slots in day view, so not able to drag and drop appointments. I can go into week view and expand it to one day, which does have slots, but there is no option to drag and drop

Calendar / UpTo / Sunrise - No custom default event length

Google Calendar - No custom default notification time

Cal - just plain weird

aCalendar (paid and upgraded) - Can't move delete a single instance of a repeating event, only "this and future instances" or "all insances". Drop and drop doesn't work, even though it is supposed to in the paid version

Touch Calendar - terrible

So far the closest ones are Business Calendar and aCalendar, but the aCalendar issue of not moving/deleting a single instance of a repeating appointment is a real necessity for me (I'm really surprised that it doesn't have that option).

Does anyone have any tips on getting Business Calendar or aCalendar working for me? Or if not then can anyone recommend any calendars that do everything I want?

Business Calendar 2 (new version, same dev) lets me drag events forward/backward within the day and week views (day view now has slots). Press and hold the appointment, then you can drag.

Just checked: this is one of the paid features (in-app upgrade). But it doesn't cost much, and if you have the original paid version installed then you can use the paid features of Business Calendar 2 for free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just to mention that Google Calendar does have custom default notification times. See screenshot below.

UwHLotk.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones