• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for a few apps

Agerkvist

Jun 23, 2010
Hi there,

I only just got my Wildfire a few days ago, but so far I'm really loving the level of customization I have with my phone now!

Like I wrote in another topic, the only downside to this phone(and my excessive use of it in the first few days :p) is the battery life, therefore I'm looking for an app to help me with this.

Specifically I would like an app that tells WiFi to disable whenever the phone goes to sleep, and re-enables it again when I turn it back on. From my battery use report I can see that having WiFi on 24/7 eats a hefty chunk, so this should help. At the moment I have WiFi turning off after 15 minutes of inactivity on the phone.

Also, I would like to be able to turn off both WiFi and 3G at set times - fx. I'd like both to be disabled from 23.00 to 07.00 in the morning. To save battery AND sleep :)

I've been looking at UltimateJuice after having used the free version for a few days - is it any good?

Not related to battery life, I'm looking for a GMail widget, similar to the default HTC one, that let's me view my GMail inbox straight from one of my home screens. I do like the default one, but I', annoyed at having to use it and the GMail app at the same time. I'd like something that was more tied together.

Lastly I have a few questions regarding the keyboard and dictionaries. I've noticed that when typing SMS messages, it predicts my words and corrects typing errors. I love this and it works very well, however, when sending messages on Facebook, typing the search field on Google and a few things, the predict/correct feature isn't there which forces me to type each letter manually and allows for no mistakes(which can be hard with big fingers on a small screen :))

A final thought - countless times have a found an app that I wanted and scanned the QR code only to end up on the market with a "app can't be found" type of message. I mean, this has happened ALOT - is this just because so many apps get taken down often or is something else afoot?

That's it for now, when these are sorted I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I thought I'll go easy on you ;)

Thanks.

to turn off wifi when the phone screen is off go to settings > wireless and networks > wifi settings > press menu and select advanced > sleep settings

for the set times (and locations) try timeriffic.

you can add your gmail account to your htc mail app and use it that way instead?

keyboard replacements, try swiftkey and swype

Not all apps are available to everyone. It depends on location/screen size/android version/etc

Upvote 0
to turn off wifi when the phone screen is off go to settings > wireless and networks > wifi settings > press menu and select advanced > sleep settings

This only has the option to turn it off 15 minutes after going to sleep as I see it? Not that it's a big issue tho.

for the set times (and locations) try timeriffic.

Checking that now, thanks :)

you can add your gmail account to your htc mail app and use it that way instead?

I have done that, but I just preferred the GMail app really. I'm currently having alot of trouble having my emails pop up on my phone instantly - it takes up to 10 minutes sometimes, with WiFi enabled. How can this be?
It seemed much faster on the first day. Now, sometiems it works instantly, while sometimes it takes way longer.

Before I go - does anyone know of a free and working Random SMS Tone app out there? I've just tried downloading a bunch but all sent me to a market page with nothing. Take this for isnstance: http://www.androidpit.com/en/androi...om-Ringtones?commentsLang=en&simde=0&simen=40

updated very recently, but the market just tells me that my search didn't yield any results. If this was an issue with my screen resolution it would look different I take it?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones