• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for a new Android device

dgriffiths

Apr 3, 2010
Hi everyone.

I'm looking to buy a new phone for my girlfriend and I've been able to show her how awesome Android is (I have a HTC Magic). So she wants an Android device, but she also wants a real keyboard (she's over touch screen keyboards).

I've only found two somewhat recent releases that fit this category, the Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro and the Motorola Milestone. We've had a look at demo model of the Milestone, and a working copy of the X10 Mini Pro.

The Milestone is very nice, but maybe too masculine, and being for a girl you know the phone has to feel right too. ;P

I gotta tell ya, I don't like what Sony Ericsson has done to the Android OS on the X10 Mini Pro. It seems to have far less customisableness. Something my girlfriend loves about my Android device is the fact it's so customisable.

Rooting the device isn't something my girlfriend will be keen to do either.

Oh and also, we live in Australia, so the phone needs to be usable here (GMS).

So can anyone suggestion any other options?

The HTC Blaze is coming soon-ish, it appears to be more or less an HTC Desire with a hardware slide-out keyboard for use in landscape mode. I'm not sure if I'll like a keyboard but the only way to really find out is to get one and use it daily for a few months so given I tend to replace my phone every 6-8 months I'm going to have a crack. I'm not too keen on the droid's look and size either, the Blaze looks a bit less agricultural from what I've seen so far.

Upvote 0
Blaze is also known as the G2 which will be hitting the States with T-Mobile USA 3G bands (rumored for September 29th).

Whether or not they will release a version which works with Aussie 3G, I do not know (I know the Vibrant on T-Mobile has the 1900MHz band and works with AT&T 3G, meaning it would work with Telstra 3G. Don't know if this phone will follow that same model).

I personally think it looks pretty cool:
g2stacker-550x412.jpg

g2back-550x412.jpg

It is also rumored to have a vanilla version of Android 2.2 FroYo with some Sense widgets. As well as an upgraded version of the Snapdragon processor built for better 3D/graphic capabilities.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones