• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Looking for Boost? default News & Weather app

Carsfanatic

Nov 19, 2011
Title says most of it rooted and installed CTMod on my friends phone and the only thing I cannot find to install again is this one app she used constantly at work. Some app that came with the phone that would give current weather and then had other tabs to see news or celebrity bs gossip stuff or whatever other inane dribble about someone famous.

Had to revert to a backup of stock GB for her for now because she misses that one app....but now have to listen to complaints about it not being as responsive as before so kind of a vicious cycle.

Any help tracking down the program or apk for it greatly appreciated.

Title says most of it rooted and installed CTMod on my friends phone and the only thing I cannot find to install again is this one app she used constantly at work. Some app that came with the phone that would give current weather and then had other tabs to see news or celebrity bs gossip stuff or whatever other inane dribble about someone famous.

Had to revert to a backup of stock GB for her for now because she misses that one app....but now have to listen to complaints about it not being as responsive as before so kind of a vicious cycle.

can you pull it out of the stock gb? then after installing ctmod put it back in using a file explorer.

Upvote 0
can you pull it out of the stock gb? then after installing ctmod put it back in using a file explorer.

I had everything backed up through Titanium Backup but that is the one that doesn't seem to transfer. Searched for it on the market and on the SD card and even after repeated tries to use TB to get it to transfer over still nothing.

Just so odd I can't find it in market or anywhere it seems.

The icon/picture for the app looks like a news paper.

Upvote 0
I had everything backed up through Titanium Backup but that is the one that doesn't seem to transfer. Searched for it on the market and on the SD card and even after repeated tries to use TB to get it to transfer over still nothing.

It's called GenieWidget.apk

Upvote 0

The icon/picture for the app looks like a news paper.
I think its genie something apk.
what you want to do is use a file explorer, I use root explorer but there are others use what you are comfortable with and make sure it has root privilages.
Go to /system/app find that .apk and copy it to your sd card then flash the ctmod rom and fix it up like you want it and then use the file explorer to copy that genie .apk back to /system/app.

Then reboot into cwm and delete the davilk-cache and reboot
it will be there and usable.

Upvote 0

check out [ROM][GB] CTMod 2.4 (01/05/12)
"Installing removed apps:"
If you are gong to use the regular Email app download and flash EmailFix.zip
If you need any of the other removed apps download RemovedAppsGB.zip and CLICK HERE for a easy way to install them.http://www.mediafire.com/?zp6kjbad0j4g984http://www.mediafire.com/?mnr5muwxdvdms49

Upvote 0
check out [ROM][GB] CTMod 2.4 (01/05/12)
"Installing removed apps:"
If you are gong to use the regular Email app download and flash EmailFix.zip
If you need any of the other removed apps download RemovedAppsGB.zip and CLICK HERE for a easy way to install them.

Looked for anything with News in it obviously nothing there so that didn't help. Looked through all backed up apk's I had and nothing for "news" there either. All I needed was the apk/name of it I had it installed 30 seconds after the name was known on mine at least now just have to repeat on hers.

Thanks all for the help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones