1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Looking for ideal web browser

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by msmigiel, Oct 16, 2017.

1. msmigiel

msmigiel Newbie
    None

Dec 25, 2014
    Male
    Software Engineer
    MA, USA
    Hi all,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 from Verizon running Android 6 (non-rooted). I've been trying to find a web browser that satisfies all of my criteria below and it's been surprisingly hard.

1.) Ad-blocker
    2.) Restores open tabs upon startup
    3.) Ability to set a home page or to be able to add my own links to the default home page - amazingly a lot of browsers don't have this basic, simple feature.
    4.) Ability to set the user agent (ie request desktop version, ideally permanently for a given website)

I've tried the following browsers but they are all missing one or more of these.

1.) Chrome - No adblock or home page
    2.) Firefox - My main problem with this browser is that the text is huge and everything looks zoomed in and I can't find a way to change the font size. It's also notably slower than Chrome.
    3.) Opera - Adblocker doesn't work.
    4.) Opera Mini - can't change user agent
    5.) ... and a bunch more that have either un-intuitive UIs or missing most of my requirements.

Does anyone have any suggestions I might be able to try, or might be able to tell me if Firefox can change the font size and possibly speed up a little? I don't mind paying for an app that does what I want.

Advertisement

2. Jhayzone

Jhayzone Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 21, 2015
    If Chrome, Firefox or Opera doesn't work for you then you're threading a very thin needle. The only browser that I know that do all those things aside from Firefox is UC Browser but I don't really recommend it as its been sending data back to big C or at least that is what I heard.

Anyway, on Firefox go to settings -> accessibility then try "Use system foy size" and/or "Always enable zoom", might work for what you need.

3. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    I got the ideal and perfect for you..I was once not long ago in your same position..I had all of those crap browsers..none are worth..
    There you go..fortunately there's

Samsung Internet Browser Beta 6.2.00.8

Try to find it..I'm not allowed to share it with you..other wise I would

#3 Xavier Black, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  4. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    Don't get the none beta one..it's very very heavy and will make you freeze within the app..