• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for ideal web browser

msmigiel

Dec 25, 2014
MA, USA
Hi all,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 from Verizon running Android 6 (non-rooted). I've been trying to find a web browser that satisfies all of my criteria below and it's been surprisingly hard.

1.) Ad-blocker
2.) Restores open tabs upon startup
3.) Ability to set a home page or to be able to add my own links to the default home page - amazingly a lot of browsers don't have this basic, simple feature.
4.) Ability to set the user agent (ie request desktop version, ideally permanently for a given website)

I've tried the following browsers but they are all missing one or more of these.

1.) Chrome - No adblock or home page
2.) Firefox - My main problem with this browser is that the text is huge and everything looks zoomed in and I can't find a way to change the font size. It's also notably slower than Chrome.
3.) Opera - Adblocker doesn't work.
4.) Opera Mini - can't change user agent
5.) ... and a bunch more that have either un-intuitive UIs or missing most of my requirements.

Does anyone have any suggestions I might be able to try, or might be able to tell me if Firefox can change the font size and possibly speed up a little? I don't mind paying for an app that does what I want.

If Chrome, Firefox or Opera doesn't work for you then you're threading a very thin needle. The only browser that I know that do all those things aside from Firefox is UC Browser but I don't really recommend it as its been sending data back to big C or at least that is what I heard.

Anyway, on Firefox go to settings -> accessibility then try "Use system foy size" and/or "Always enable zoom", might work for what you need.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones