• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for non-standard e-mail app

I'm looking for an e-mail app that is essentially a wrapper for using web-based e-mail through a browser, if that makes sense? I'm not really sure what key words are to use when searching for this type of app, or maybe it doesn't even exist. I don't want a standard app that is a POP or IMAP e-mail client, I want an app that has a little bit a of the feel of this type of standard app but simply is used in place of opening a browser, browsing to my web mail, logging in, and using the web interface. Make sense? Does something exist to do this? Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm not quite sure just what you're looking for. What you've described is basically any email app. They all work off of some version of POP and/or IMAP, with some including Microsoft's proprietary MAPI protocol. The only thing that really distinguishes them apart is the interface from a user's viewpoint and the feature set from a functional aspect. But any email app is basically just a 'wrapper' as far as webmail usability, whether you're accessing your mail account from a web browser or a mail app they're both interacting with the same web server service.
It sounds more like you're just looking for a mail app that has the look and feel that you'll be comfortable with??? There's plenty of them on Google Play, take a look at several and their screenshots.

Upvote 0
No, it's not a look and feel of an email app that I'm after, it's the actual functionality of how the email is accessed. If I open a browser on my phone and browse to, say, gmail.com, login to my account, and continue to use the browser to access mail, calendar, etc., via HTTPS, that's very different from the countless email apps that you install, configure with IMAP or POP3 settings, and it becomes an (always connected) account on your phone. I'm looking for something that has more of a feel of the latter (email app) but functions like the former (via HTTPS).

I knew it would be difficult to make it understood what I'm looking for and question if anything exists that works this way.

Upvote 0
A lot of the third-party email apps have very extensive options to tailor how your email is presented to you. Also, since you brought up gmail, if you search in the 'Help' menu of your gmail account for something like 'Android mail app settings' you'll find a lot of info about your gmail Settings to facilitate using your gmail via a browser and on your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones