• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for suggestions on selecting a new (used) Moto X

DrvLikHell

Lurker
Aug 13, 2015
I've been wanting this phone for a while now but I ended up being given a CDMA SGS3. While I really like the S3, it's on Boost and I get 1 bar (a dot really) of signal at home, which makes for unnoticed missed calls sometimes. My I897 on a TMO reseller gets signal just fine, as do family members on ATT. So CDMA can KMA and I'm shopping for a Moto X.

I'll be using a T-Mobile reseller so I'll be on their network. The 1053 would be ideal but they're less common, always unlockable, and thus more expensive. The 1058 and 1060 will work, but their bootloader is locked down hardcore. 1049, 1052, and 1056 just plain won't work. 1055 is software locked out of GSM so scratch that one unless I want to try to flash another models rom on it, which I don't.

So if I can't snag a 1053 for a good price, I'm looking at the 1050. Same setup as the 1060, being CDMA but with enough GSM bands to work on TMO. The bootloader is also unlockable through Motorola where the 1060s is not. However, the 1050 may come sim locked, or it may not. It was a regional phone so it probably varied depending on the carrier. Can anybody verify this? Also does anyone here have any experience sim unlocking the 1050? There's been a few on ebay for some good prices and I'm seriously considering it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I was looking to spend $100. However, last night I happened to find a newly listed, quite used, Developer Edition on eBay and bought it for well under my spending limit. The battery cover is a little rough, but the screen is supposed to be clear. Couldn't tell much about scratches from the pictures. We'll see how it is when it gets here next week

Btw, I did look on Swappa.com, but they didn't have any 1053s for less than $150 and they don't list the 1050 at all. The 1050 seems kind of rare.

Upvote 0
I ended up buying a 1053 Developers Edition on eBay for $70 with a dirty, chipped rear cover. I figured who cares about the rear cover because it's going in a case, right? Got it in the mail today and there's a quarter inch crack in the screen on the lower right corner that wasn't in the description. The camera also gives an error and crashes when it tries to load. Ugh! Otherwise, you're right, I really like it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones