• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking to buy a new HTC - need help on speaker sound volume and audio recording quality

I currently have an HTC DesireHD but am looking to replace it soon. I always buy SIM-free phones so I can buy almost anything so long as it is available on UK frequencies.

Currently the things that annoy me most about my DesireHD are:
1. Multitouch doesn't work properly if the internal memory gets too full
2. Doesn't have a front camera
3. Sound volume is very quiet when playing music via the speaker, even at max volume - e.g. the iPhone 4 is easily two or three times as loud
4. Audio recording quality is not very good, especially in videos - there is a noticeable hiss sometimes.
5. Pasted text always has a space before and after

Now, I can easily find out information off the net for internal memory size and front camera, and I'm not optimistic about getting past the pasted text bug. But for (3) and (4) above, I need some help. I'm looking at the HTC Sensation XL or the HTC One X. Can anyone help me on these two things - sound volume through the speaker or audio recording quality?

I can't comment on the XL, but the audio volume on the One X is pretty temperamental dependant on the unit. My first one was definitely louder than the replacement (the first one had a faulty G-Sensor). That being said, both units were 100 times better than my Desire HD.

Some folk have had issues with recording, but I can't say I've noticed a problem with audio whenever I've recorded anything.

We've a comparison forum, do you want this thread moved there? It might get some more responses.

Reactions: wtdanceisthru
Upvote 0
I have an EVO LTE, and the mic might be similar/same as the HTC Ones.

The mic on the EVO LTE is very good imo. I've downloaded several voice recording apps testing them out and I've been happy with it for the most part.

I also just download Gstrings, an app to tune your guitar and musical instruments and it's been spot on.

EDIT: Also, I found that recording quality varied greatly on the app as well. I suggest this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digipom.easyvoicerecorder.pro&hl=en The pro version even allows you to choose the type of "mic" you want to use, ie "camcorder" or "phone" mic. I haven't noticed a difference on mine, but others say otherwise.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones