• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

looks like August 1st for the 2.3 gingerbread OTA..

Joe Dirt

Android Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2010
TEXAS
Not sure if it will be a OTA though. Sounds like they are sending SDcards to the Tmo stores to install the update.

T-Mobile Retail Stores To Update Customer Phones Using SD Card

I don't know if its the same as the leak we have had for months, that is the same build that Tmo has been sending out with the "mistake" warranty return phones. I think they just used leaks and "mistakes" for beta testings.

I've heard reports that it is 2.3.4 but that was only one person.. If you flashed the leak, and this ends up with a newer build # you should beable to flash it with no issues. I will post a download link as soon as I find one.

Edit:

Looks like the OTA starts today. Enjoy it non-rooted users.

https://t-mobile.jive-mobile.com:443/#jive-document?content=/api/core/v1/documents/1809

If anyone gets the OTA please post the build number and the baseband ver.. The leak build is Build 2.13.531.8 CL56018.

Edit #2

Here is the guide to install it yourself.

Thanks to everyone at XDA for this.

Its here! The OTA to 2.3.4! If you installed the older 2.3.3 you have to wait for the OTA to be pushed or downgrade

Guide

[GUIDE] T-Mobile G2 2.3.4 official OTA manual update - xda-developers

Huge thanks to XDA once again.

Edit again

Here is the pc10img.zip for you to update your leaked 2.3.3 enjoy

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=16497490#post16497490

saw this yesterday morning through FB (tmobile's FB) its about damn time! lol jk..i could care less..i mean yay im happy don't get me wrong but even at 2.2 im happy..i was hoping to wake up to see the update on my phone this morning but nothing sad face lol..but i won't be surprised if i have to wait a couple of days..i remember for my g1 i was one of the last ones to update lol..im in no hurry though so w.e

Upvote 0
NOT HERE YET, rooting sometime to day, just am sick to my stomach waiting any longer, But if i do not because of my girlfriends hatred for any thing time consumming due to being a iPhone user (should replace her?) will i be able to root after the Gingerbread update or will i sacrifice all that is great with rooting?

You won't get the OTA update if rooted.

What is is that you need from 2.3 that you can't wait? It does not add a whole lot.

Upvote 0
They did find a downgrade and root for the old leaked 2.3 build but this is said to be a whole new build so I don't know if root will come easy, if at all. Best bet is to root now and enjoy it while you can. Took me about 30 mins to root my G2. I am running HTCclays Super CM7 its a stripped down faster CM7. Its nice.

Upvote 0
Got it a couple hours ago. Interesting that it indicated it was going to be 2.3.3 installed, and when it was completed it indicated that it's 2.3.4 installed. Not sure of the delta between them.

I don't particularly like them put it as 2G, 3G, 4G now instead of G, E, H. I like to know what type of data network I'm actually on and HSPA+ isn't 4G. Maybe they could get away with marking it as 3G+ but I guess they need to keep up with the LTE boys calling their 3G+ stuff as 4G.

I had to re-enter my Amazon App Store login but other stuff stayed w/o update such as EAS settings.

Check that I still have Hotspot and USB Tethering, I hope this doesn't start getting reported to T-mobile now and they start charging me. I've been using it since 2.2 w/o being charged. I set my phone to hotspot w/ my WiFi Xoom when I don't have WiFi.

EDIT: First issue noted at Starbucks today. I can't launch my Starbucks App. Had to pay cash as I stopped carrying my Starbucks gold card.
RE-EDIT: Checked for update, there wasn't one, but there was a note indicating that it had fix for 2.3 issue. I uninstalled it and re-installed - logged in and it's working again. Verified this is the same 1.03 version that I had on the phone before but it requires a re-install to get it working.

Upvote 0
I don't particularly like them put it as 2G, 3G, 4G now instead of G, E, H. I like to know what type of data network I'm actually on and HSPA+ isn't 4G. Maybe they could get away with marking it as 3G+ but I guess they need to keep up with the LTE boys calling their 3G+ stuff as 4G.

Like it or not, it's now correct. You can either say no one has 4G or everyone has 4G. Not both. 3G+ is so last month. Get over it.

"Although LTE is often marketed as 4G, first-release LTE does not fully comply with the IMT Advanced 4G requirements. The pre-4G standard is a step toward LTE Advanced, a 4th generation (4G)[3] standard of radio technologies designed to increase the capacity and speed of mobile telephone networks. LTE Advanced is backwards compatible with LTE and uses the same frequency bands, while LTE is not backwards compatible with 3G systems."

Put a Verizon LTE _phone_ up against a TM phone on HSPA+ and the the TM network will be faster. Feel free to search on it.

Upvote 0
Like it or not, it's now correct. You can either say no one has 4G or everyone has 4G. Not both. 3G+ is so last month. Get over it.

"Although LTE is often marketed as 4G, first-release LTE does not fully comply with the IMT Advanced 4G requirements. The pre-4G standard is a step toward LTE Advanced, a 4th generation (4G)[3] standard of radio technologies designed to increase the capacity and speed of mobile telephone networks. LTE Advanced is backwards compatible with LTE and uses the same frequency bands, while LTE is not backwards compatible with 3G systems."

Put a Verizon LTE _phone_ up against a TM phone on HSPA+ and the the TM network will be faster. Feel free to search on it.

Bold statement...or did I miss the memo that all (4g capable) phones are equal, as is signal strength in all areas?

Upvote 0
Bold statement...or did I miss the memo that all (4g capable) phones are equal, as is signal strength in all areas?

I'm guessing you are referring to the last statement? Certainly if you found an area with crappy TM service and great Verizon service, the Verizon phone is probably going to be faster. But in order to compare the speed of the network you obviously need to compare apples with apples. I'm not discussing coverage, I'm discussed the speed of the network.

Upvote 0
I'm guessing you are referring to the last statement? Certainly if you found an area with crappy TM service and great Verizon service, the Verizon phone is probably going to be faster. But in order to compare the speed of the network you obviously need to compare apples with apples. I'm not discussing coverage, I'm discussed the speed of the network.

Well weak coverage means weak signal...that'll slow a phone down. I meant it is HARD to find an area where all carriers get comparable signal

Upvote 0
Error error error, Back up your messages before doing so, I did get Gingerbread from a T-mobile store last week via SD card in St.Paul,Minnesota they had two of them in store it took about 20mins enough time to go suck down a sope or two (mex cuisine) but thought i had done enough by using sms Backup & Restore this however it happend, did not work out for me and now I am at a loss when it comes to He said she said with my GF and her Messages, maybe there is another way, but i did not come to that, also this F'er now runs marathons over what it used to, the screen is right on top of landscape to standered, my battery is golden with 26 hours of airplane mode i had 86% battery left after camping in a dead zone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones