• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

love the phone but I hate the display technology.

I talked to a guy at Verizon and he stated he's never heard of an extended period. Even the corporate verizon store asked when I bought the phone to see if I was under the 14 days or not.

Two duds in a row is.certainly possible. Can indicate a bad batch of phones.

OP: why do you only have three days to decide? All exchange periods were extended to January 15 for the holidays.

Upvote 0
The banding is present on essentially every phone...to one degree or another. However, it should only be obvious on large patches of lighter colors at lower brightness levels. Above about 1/3 on the slider, the banding should be far less visible.

Even at minimum brightness the banding should be virtually imperceptible when watching video.

Color shift associated with brightness is also normal. On-axis color should be pretty good at 1/3 or higher. More than about 30 degree off axis and whites start to shift to blue green.

Typing lag is a known issue with various fixes. There are several market keyboards that are much better. Swift key, keyboard pro, etc. Turning off one of the correction settings is also supposed to help. There's a thread somewhere.

Upvote 0
I know I'm not the only one that saw it because I had two other people look at my old phone and they saw the banding or vertical lines right away. Now my replacement phone is having the same problem and it's actually worst.

It's like vertical lines but their bands. Thick lines I guess.

With your phone do you notice the banding if you increase the brightness? Take off auto an change it to 100% brightness and see if you still notice it. Then wait a few seconds and let it dim and it shows up.

It's weird.

I can see the vertical bands on the settings menu background with brightness all the way up or down.

Upvote 0
Yep that is exactly how it is. I already knew about the keyboard.

I dunno I'll sleep on it and use it in the morning. I like the phone just the banding is annoying. Just makes it seem like a cheap phone.

The banding is present on essentially every phone...to one degree or another. However, it should only be obvious on large patches of lighter colors at lower brightness levels. Above about 1/3 on the slider, the banding should be far less visible.

Even at minimum brightness the banding should be virtually imperceptible when watching video.

Color shift associated with brightness is also normal. On-axis color should be pretty good at 1/3 or higher. More than about 30 degree off axis and whites start to shift to blue green.

Typing lag is a known issue with various fixes. There are several market keyboards that are much better. Swift key, keyboard pro, etc. Turning off one of the correction settings is also supposed to help. There's a thread somewhere.

Upvote 0
ok good deal.

I'm like in a weird mood. I thought perhaps getting the replacement phone would be better but I got one that was actually a lot worst.

meh ...

Tech support and csr both told me I had until the 15th. Corp store.confirmed it too. VZW advertized it. Ifbyou boughy direct from VZW online or in corp store, you have until the 15th.

Upvote 0
I can't really say I've had a lot of problems. I just don't like the display. Other than that the phone is great. I think if Samsung went with a LCD display instead of the experimental AMOLED displays it would be miles better.

Not sure why you think this display is 'experimental'. The AMOLED displays have been around now for several years, nothing experimental about them. I don't have any issues with the things you've mentioned and I actually think this is the best display I've ever seen on a phone.

I may be critical about 4G reception in marginal 4G areas, but most other aspects of the phone are great IMO.

Upvote 0
" Samsung's Galaxy Nexus phone - with a 4.65" display with 1280x720 resolution.[5] The higher resolution and dpi were made possible due to a change in materials and new manufacturing process, though still using shadow mask (or fine metal mask (FMM)) technology.[6] However this required a change back to pentile RGBG subpixels."

I would say it's because of that.

Not sure why you think this display is 'experimental'. The AMOLED displays have been around now for several years, nothing experimental about them. I don't have any issues with the things you've mentioned and I actually think this is the best display I've ever seen on a phone.

I may be critical about 4G reception in marginal 4G areas, but most other aspects of the phone are great IMO.

Upvote 0
" Samsung's Galaxy Nexus phone - with a 4.65" display with 1280x720 resolution.[5] The higher resolution and dpi were made possible due to a change in materials and new manufacturing process, though still using shadow mask (or fine metal mask (FMM)) technology.[6] However this required a change back to pentile RGBG subpixels."

I would say it's because of that.

But the essentials of what makes an AMOLED display an AMOLED display remain the same. I still don't think what you posted qualifies as an 'experimental' display. Most people are having no issues and actually raving about the display. Read the professional reviews and they invariably mention how great the display is.

I think it's just the way it hits you.

Upvote 0
I had banding and at traded it for a new one on the last day of my eligibility to do so because I was embarrassed to be so nitpicky. It was just so aggravating to look at after two weeks of trying to ignore it. My new phone has no banding at any level of screen brightness (or auto dimming).

I know no one cares about my good luck - the point is banding is not "unavoidable" and a good screen can be achieved. Attached is a photo of my banding BEFORE I swapped it.

I love my new screen and my stress over the purchase is gone.

Attachments

• 20111229_163606.jpg
    20111229_163606.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: quiklives
Upvote 0
I had banding and at traded it for a new one on the last day of my eligibility to do so because I was embarrassed to be so nitpicky. It was just so aggravating to look at after two weeks of trying to ignore it. My new phone has no banding at any level of screen brightness (or auto dimming).

I know no one cares about my good luck - the point is banding is not "unavoidable" and a good screen can be achieved. Attached is a photo of my banding BEFORE I swapped it.

I love my new screen and my stress over the purchase is gone.

what banding? i don't see anything out of the ordinary in that pic :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones