• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Low Memory - Can't update games.

Burks

Lurker
Dec 24, 2011
I'm a complete smartphone noob, so I apologize in advance.

Today I downloaded a new game and it had to update/download new files. No biggie. Says it needed 112MB of data free.

Here is how my storage is broken down:

Application Space: 1.62GB

Internal Storage:
Total: 4.31GB
Available Space: 0.90GB

SD Card:
Total: 7.50GB
Available: 7.49GB

Diskusage broken down:

Data
Data 1983mb
Applications 204mb
System data 123.5mb
Free Space 1655mb

/mnt/sdcard
/mnt/sdcard 4409mb
gameloft 1375mb
Android 1045
Free space 735mb

/mnt/sdcard-ext
/mnt/sdcard-ext 7674mb
my_pix 5.13mb
Free Space 7668mb

I really don't have many apps. My girlfriend, with the same phone and SD card size, has TONS of room and has nearly double the apps. I do have one or two large ones, but that's it. I have a whopping 6 photos on my phone, no music, and no videos.

Where is all this data being stored? How the hell do I free it up? At this point I'm extremely frustrated with this phone. I really wish I would have went with the "other" smartphone on the market, none of my friends have any issues. We've had nothing BUT issues with our Droids.

I've tried moving apps to the SD card, but magically I LOSE internal storage when doing this. I don't have the phone rooted, modded, etc in any way. What the hell is going on? I used two different apps to move stuff to the SD card but it gains me absolutely no data. It's like I have a HUGE folder that is hidden or something that is clogging up all my internal storage and not allowing me to update or download any files for new games.

I also have it set to download any new media to the external SD card (even shows the 8GB card). But for some reason.....nothing......goes....there.....

Welcome to the forums, Burks.

Right away I can tell you that your internal storage is the most prominent culprit in the scenario. ;)

You would probably benefit greatly by moving as much as you can to your SD card, via the application manager, then reboot.

Be sure to always clear cache and data just prior to any change you make in app location, as this is a sort of "hidden" benefit with regard to storage space. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones