• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root M120... thoughts?

Some of the people who are using this phone need a phone that is durable. Some people have this phone as a work phone supplied to them by their employers.

If someone who has the commando could switch to any other fragile fancy phone just because it is "rootable", they probably didn't need the commando in the first place.

Cause really, this afternoon I had my commando propped up in the engine bay of my car for light as I was pulling the timing chain and gears. The phone was completely covered with grease, oil & crap. Just needed a quick wash off and was good as new. Can your Galaxy Nexus do that?

Upvote 0
Cause really, this afternoon I had my commando propped up in the engine bay of my car for light as I was pulling the timing chain and gears. The phone was completely covered with grease, oil & crap. Just needed a quick wash off and was good as new. Can your Galaxy Nexus do that?

Well, yes I did need a rugged phone because I did have a rugged job. You go run, crawl, jump, climb, and shoot at stuff, you need a phone that can survive that. In rain, mud, sleet, and occasionally snow.

And people still post in the commando all things root section because obviously they are looking for a way to root their commando because they do desire features you can only get with a rootable device.

Upvote 0
I'll ask again since people in here have the update. can you PLEASE attempt all the root methods posted in this forum and anywhere else you can find! if you have the update, stop asking for people to "hack" it for you and just try what tools are already available! hundreds, if not thousands, of people are waiting for someone to at least try this and no one is actually attempting!

I for one am trying to do as much as I can. That is what I was just discussing with JKH62 about.

I am on Windows 8 and cannot get past the driver incompatibility, if you know a way around that, then could you point me to it?

On Monday I will try to find a Windows 7 laptop, to try whatever I can.
I just brought home a brand new HP DV7 laptop from work with Windows 7, So I'll be playing and trying what ever I can. I still have "work" to be doing with Windows 8 and driver comparability (not for cell phones) but I will do what ever I can in my off time. Lets hope it goes well.

Upvote 0
The commando is a decent phone, but if you're looking for options when it comes removing bloat, modding, and maximizing performance, then this device is clearly not for you, and I'll gladly tell anyone who asks "how do I root my commando" to get a different phone. If software functionality outweighs your need for a phone that works underwater, then there's better options.

And how many months have passed with no exploit to attain root? Old exploits won't work, as they've been patched. As I suggested before, . Look to other devices running 2.3.3 and see if they have an exploit for their latest updates.

Upvote 0
If software functionality outweighs your need for a phone that works underwater (EDIT: and can take a beating NO other phone can), then there's (EDIT:OTHER ) options.

Maybe this is what you should be saying to others. Most people who get the Commando don't want software functionality over the physical attributes or else they would have gotten a different phone obviously.

Most people don't want to hear others say "Sell your POS and buy another phone" The commando is a kick ass phone I wouldn't trade it for the latest greatest phone.

Upvote 0
I have to agree. I uninstalled all the updates to bloatware I don't want, disabled the auto updates in the marketplace, and moved a bunch of stuff to the sd card. Between that and using zeam launcher, performance is more than adequate on m120. I'd still *like* root, but the phone runs fine as it is now...

Upvote 0
I never said it was a POS. It just came to the point where it was unreliable. (Edit: unreliable to me. Three warranty replacements and every replacement had issues. YMMV)
-phone rings- go to answer it -gz'one boot animation playing- ok, finally, who called me? G Damnit! It didn't save to the call log! Stupid random reboots!
Or -phone ringing- go to answer it, screen won't turn on. Keep pressing button. Come on screen, light up so I can answer!
And, gotta be up for work earlier than usual. I better set my alarm earlier. -wakes up- Oh, it's nice and sunny out....... wait a minute... it's not supposed to be nice and sunny at 5 am.... DOH!!!
I mean I'll take a fragile phone that's more reliable on the software side, than a nearly unbreakable phone that I can't answer, and auto-snoozes itself.
Casio G'zOne type S, Casio G'zOne Rock, Casio G'zOne Brigade, and Casio G'zOne Commando. Believe me, I'm a big fan of Casio and their G'zOne line. I just feel they let big red influence the software too much and the Commando had so much more potential that was never allowed to shine.

Upvote 0
Now would be a good time to take a moment and review the site rules, before more serious consequences ensue. I've had to clean up a good deal of interpersonal comments that are irrelevant, unnecessary and distracting from the topic at hand.

Let me say this, no member is any more entitled to be in this, or any other forum than any other member. Thinking otherwise is incorrect. Stating it will only get you into trouble. Let's not do that.

If you see a post that incites, inflames or irritates you, report it and move on. The staff will take care of it. Don't reply, okay?

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread ....

Upvote 0
I could use some help. Im pretty much a newbee at all this rooting stuff. i heard about it a couple of times and decided to finally look into it. obviously a bit too late. a couple questions?
Assuming someone has just found a hole in the new update:
Are there any downsides to rooting?
If in the case that i need customer support or to return the commando will i need to do anything to the phone to hide the fact that i rooted it?

Also my phones been shutting off a couple times a day for no reason and just turns right back on. Plus downloading music using Adownloader is extremely slow ever since the update. sometimes i need to reconnect the wifi in order for it to download anything. is it just my phone or is that common place. thanks

Upvote 0
I could use some help. Im pretty much a newbee at all this rooting stuff. i heard about it a couple of times and decided to finally look into it. obviously a bit too late. a couple questions?
Assuming someone has just found a hole in the new update:
Are there any downsides to rooting?
If in the case that i need customer support or to return the commando will i need to do anything to the phone to hide the fact that i rooted it?

Also my phones been shutting off a couple times a day for no reason and just turns right back on. Plus downloading music using Adownloader is extremely slow ever since the update. sometimes i need to reconnect the wifi in order for it to download anything. is it just my phone or is that common place. thanks

Nope sorry no one has found the hole in the system for 6+ months. = NO ROOT for M100+.

The commando is known for random restarts.

Upvote 0
Not sure it has been tried. What about trying to spoof the patch as an update from the manufacturer. Have it come in over the wifi.

They have obviously programmed it to avoid any updates while connected, but they still need to update it on occasion. If you were to send it via the air waves, it may still have an open connection to it. To find the process, capture the data as the phone receives it.

Upvote 0
Turn Wi-Fi off when not near Wi-Fi. Turn Wi-Fi on when at home.
Wi-Fi uses less juice when connected, but will continuously look for service when not connected.
I tried juice defender, the paid version, but results were barely noticeable and not worth the money I spent on it.
Someone else suggested turning off data while at work. But if you use your smartphone as a smartphone - email, Facebook, other online notifications, then that's just not an option. At least for me it wasn't. But if you only take your phone out every other hour, turn on data, check your stuff, then you might be good.
Zeam home launcher - very minimalistic launcher. No fancy transition animations. Uses less battery.
Cut down on your widgets. They use battery.

I also purchased a Mugen 1800 mAh battery for $80. It'll give you about 15% more juice than stock.

Other than that.... get a different phone. I loved the commando for its durability, but I'm sure you can read through this forum and find all the issues I've had with this phone.
Or get the commando 2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones