• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MAC Address Problem

BenWyles

Sep 26, 2017
I recently purchased a 10.1" tablet through Amazon, running Android 6.0.1. Apparently, I received one that was refurbished instead of new, because every time I boot it, the MAC address changes. I really need to know what the actual address is, because I need to register the device with my employer in order to connect to the router.

Is there ANY way to determine the actual MAC address of this device, and is there any way to remove whatever software is doing this?

I recently purchased a 10.1" tablet through Amazon, running Android 6.0.1. Apparently, I received one that was refurbished instead of new, because every time I boot it, the MAC address changes. I really need to know what the actual address is, because I need to register the device with my employer in order to connect to the router.

Is there ANY way to determine the actual MAC address of this device, and is there any way to remove whatever software is doing this?

It should not be doing that at all, and it could be a firmware and/or baseband problem with it. Android device MAC addresses should always be fixed and not changing on reboots. Your best option is to return it as defective I think, or at least see what the Amazon vendor has to say about it. I've only seen an Android device MAC address changing arbitrarily once, and that was a phone with a buggy custom ROM in it.

Upvote 0
That's what I thought. Though my technical knowledge is limited, I do know that the MAC address shouldn't change. I've heard of software that would allow it to change, such as in efforts to keep locations hidden, and I thought perhaps that was the culprit. I just don't know how to check for that. It is strange, however, that it never has trouble locating and connecting to my home network.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
That's what I thought. Though my technical knowledge is limited, I do know that the MAC address shouldn't change. I've heard of software that would allow it to change, such as in efforts to keep locations hidden, and I thought perhaps that was the culprit. I just don't know how to check for that. It is strange, however, that it never has trouble locating and connecting to my home network.

Home WiFi routers don't usually care about what the MAC address is, and as long as the WPA or WPA2 password is correct it should connect automatically. However enterprise networks can do, and only allow devices were the admin have registered the MAC to connect for security. And usually the only way to possibly even change an Android device MAC address is if the device is rooted. Although unlike IMEIs and ESNs, WiFi MAC addresses are not burned into the chipset, they're determined by the firmware baseband drivers, and so it is sometimes possible to change them with root and the appropriate hacks.

That's why I'm thinking there's something not right with this tablet if the MAC address is changing every time it's booted. A problem in the firmware most likely.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the Play Store has several MAC address changing apps and I'm pretty sure they all require root.

Have you checked to see if your device is rooted (i.e., since it came refurbished, perhaps it wasn't truly or fully wiped?).

Try the https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck (been out there forever) and see what it says.

If your device is not rooted, then that would certainly reinforce the case Mike was making above: i.e., a hardware problem.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
According to the root checker app, it is rooted.

Well, now, that is interesting...

Can you have a peek in your apps list for any of the apps that show up in a Play Store search like this:

Ugh! sorry, that's a bit of a long list...just look for anything obvious at this point.

We should also be able to pull-up your SuperSU app and try to revert/deny root permissions to any rogue app that it has.

Upvote 0
Ah, well, I'm a bit hamstrung at the moment (at work :p ) from being able to pull-up examples on a test root device to give you more things to try...lemme ping you back later after I get home and we can see what else we can try.

Hopefully, it wasn't rooted with KingRoot or some such :blech: !
I found SuperSU in the play store. Should I download it?

Upvote 0
This tablet appears to be somewhat dodgy. I'd return it to Amazon and request a replacement. As it's rooted you have no idea about what the previous owner may have installed on it, and on at system level. If you bought it as new you have plenty of leverage to get a replacement, if the documentation did state it was refurbished and rooted just be tactful.
Your other option is to re-flash with a stock ROM and do a Factory Reset, essentially returning it back to its original (clean, unaltered, and non-rooted) state, this would wipe any customizing and other oddities the previous owner may have done. (note that doing a Factory Reset only clears the user data partition, it does NOT affect the operating system so that's why it's necessary to flash the ROM)

Upvote 0
This tablet appears to be somewhat dodgy. I'd return it to Amazon and request a replacement. As it's rooted you have no idea about what the previous owner may have installed on it, and on at system level. If you bought it as new you have plenty of leverage to get a replacement, if the documentation did state it was refurbished and rooted just be tactful.
Your other option is to re-flash with a stock ROM and do a Factory Reset, essentially returning it back to its original (clean, unaltered, and non-rooted) state, this would wipe any customizing and other oddities the previous owner may have done. (note that doing a Factory Reset only clears the user data partition, it does NOT affect the operating system so that's why it's necessary to flash the ROM)
I'm tracking what you're saying. How difficult is it to flash the ROM? My concern, and what I explained in my email to them this morning, is that the tablet arrived while I was offshore last hitch, and when I came back out this hitch, I'd already had it two weeks. I didn't learn of the issue until I was back out here, but I won't return home and can't return it for another two weeks, placing me outside the return date. I requested a replacement this morning, explaining the timing issues, and requested return instructions/labeling if they wanted this one back. Still, if flashing the ROM isn't akin to an exorcism, I'm game to try if it'll help.

Upvote 0
Flashing a ROM isn't necessarily difficult but it does require paying attention to details. Also, a lot of this depends of the brand and model. Some manufacturers like Samsung make it easy to find stock ROMs, other manufactures like a number of miscellaneous Chinese brands it can be a hassle to find valid, stock ROMs.
What is the brand and model of tablet? ROMs are specific to their model so there isn't any mix-and-matching.

Upvote 0
Flashing a ROM isn't necessarily difficult but it does require paying attention to details. Also, a lot of this depends of the brand and model. Some manufacturers like Samsung make it easy to find stock ROMs, other manufactures like a number of miscellaneous Chinese brands it can be a hassle to find valid, stock ROMs.
What is the brand and model of tablet? ROMs are specific to their model so there isn't any mix-and-matching.
NPOLE NT101

Upvote 0
Not familiar with NPole and aside from lots of Amazon links didn't see much online as far as if they provide ROMs for their products:
http://www.npoleworld.com/home.html
You could try to contact them directly to see if they have something like a ftp site:
npoleservice@gmail.com
Or hopefully someone will chime in on this if they have experience with NPole devices.

Given your commendable timing situation maybe just wait and see what Amazon will do for you.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the Play Store has several MAC address changing apps and I'm pretty sure they all require root.

Have you checked to see if your device is rooted (i.e., since it came refurbished, perhaps it wasn't truly or fully wiped?).

Try the https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck (been out there forever) and see what it says.

If your device is not rooted, then that would certainly reinforce the case Mike was making above: i.e., a hardware problem.

Cheers!
I was able to go back and verify root with the app you specifically mentioned. The response came back "Sorry! Root access is not properly installed on this device." What can be done now about reverting back to the original condition? I'm not really interested in root access. I'm not that advanced. I just want my MAC address to show what it's supposed to show, and to stop changing. (Although, it is still the same as it was yesterday.)

Upvote 0
What led you to report previously that the device was rooted? I'm confused by this...
In a previous reply, you directed me to an app on the Play Store that I mistook for another one. The apparently incorrect one ran its test and came back stating "Device Rooted." There was no further information given. This morning, I reentered the web address you sent to me and found that particular app you mentioned and it gave me the response I reported to you, that root access "is not properly installed." I also dug down through my file manager late yesterday and when I attempted to open the Root folder, I received the standard "Empty Folder" response, like you usually see when it's inaccessible.

Upvote 0
Ah, thanks--well, that changes my thought process now if the device isn't rooted: i.e., not sure how you could be getting an inconsistent value for your MAC address.

I think that also means that it's not a given that your device needs to be reverted to an original state since we don't know for sure that it's not still in the original state...

Upvote 0
I'm pretty much at a loss. Doing more digging, I find that it seems to be rather widespread. I've found other posts dated all the way back to 2012 of the same issue; rebooting the device or restarting Wi-Fi always leads to a new MAC address. And, just like with my issue, the first three pairs of digits are always the same. It's the last three pairs that seem random. It also changes the IP address.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones