• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Making a ROM, anything I need to know first?

SHOOTER403

Nov 6, 2012
Hi everybody. I'm new to the LG Motion 4G (I got mine Thursday)...

Now, I want to try to make a ROM for this phone, but I keep hearing a lot about the bootloader being locked.

Is there anything important that I need to know before I start?

I'm asking because I want to make a ROM, not an automatic Bricker.

Reactions: alfick3
If your just cooking a rom, then you'll be fine. The locked bootloader wont hinder your efforts. Just go to the ATR guide and check out the roms available and see what they're missing so you can add new things to make your rom different. There's plenty of mods and tweaks out there, just don't over do it.

Whenever you're stuck and need help don't hesitate to ask.

If your just making some theme changes, then perhaps you should consider doing a theme. This way it would be easy for everyone to install your theme and they will appreciate it more that your not making them install a rom just for a theme.

Once you're done, flash your product on your device and test. If all is well, post it proudly. lol ;)

Off the top of my head, here's some tools you will need to setup your dev environment...

---Decent spec PC
---SDK
---JDK
---dsixda kitchen
---Gimp or Photoshop
---apktool
---notepad++
---ImageMagick (I use it in terminal for batch)

There's many tutorials out there for all these tools. With all these tools, you can definitely cook up a sweet rom.

Personally I setup on linux, it's a much more robust OS for deving, but windows & mac will do just fine.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones